MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Questions about doing the method with mild myopia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about doing the method with mild myopia?
Hello, let me first say hello! I am 16 and I hope to be an animator one day.

I noticed that I can't see as well faraway anymore. I think it's because of all the drawing I do and of course there's always the constant close-up reading for the 6 hours of school and the 3-4 hours of homework. I have not been to an eye doctor since I noticed this. But I have been attempting various methods (Some I might've done wrong. Haha.) for a few months so that I can prevent my eyesight from getting worse and recover quickly before anyone ever knows. Haha.

But I have not noticed any real changes to my eyesight. Is my vision too good for the Bates Methos to help improve it?

I think I might try swinging again. But can somebody tell me how long they would recommend doing it, and when I can expect to see an improvement?

Thank you. Smile
Dear Auran,

Subject: The FIRST Bates method.

Bates insisted that a Snellen be posted in the home and checked
by the person himself. This is described as a method in
his 1913 study. Big Grin

It is always good to know EXACTLY your visual acuity, so
when you work on Snellen clearing (vision improvement) you
see the results yourself. Smile

Here is an easy to use Snellen. Just click here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

And then on Display (several times).

The 20/60 line is displayed. Read from 20 feet and determine
what you see -- objectively.

You must read 1/2 the letters correctly to PASS the line.

After that little test, post your results here and we
will talk about them and other methods. Smile

Best,

Otis
Hi Aurum-femina,

You are very lucky that you have not worn glasses. So long as you stay away from them you should improve very rapidly.

Have you tried palming for 30 minutes?

aurum-femina Wrote:Is my vision too good for the Bates Methos to help improve it?

No. Actually, even people with already normal vision (20/20) can improve it by using these methods.

aurum-femina Wrote:I think I might try swinging again. But can somebody tell me how long they would recommend doing it, and when I can expect to see an improvement?

By swinging do you mean the long swing? I would recommend doing the long swing 100 times, counting 1 when you swing to the right, 2 when you swing to the left, and so on.

Mild myopia is caused by staring or making an effort to see at the distance (e.g., the whiteboard at school). When you stop staring by shifting your gaze easily from one point to another, blinking normally, your vision should improve immediately. You are permanently cured when you stop staring at all times and in all places.

Good luck!
Otis: I've confirmed about 25/20 in the left eye and 30/20 in the right. Together, they passed the 20/20 line with one or two errors (I tried a few different charts.). But I'm still concerned that during an eye exam, I'll get a doctor that'll fail me if I get one error. I remember when I was seven, and taking an eye test. My mouth was talking faster than I was reading and accidentally messed up a letter. So the doctor gave me 30/20 for the eye I read the line with. Haha.

Jason: I have not tried palming yet, because I heard it could be counterproductive if I didn't do it right. And I am confused about when I am supposed to see black, am I supposed to look at the inside of my eyelids?

And is long swing moving from letters on the chart or objects across the room?
Dear Aurum,

Subject: Your judgment -- about what you want and your goal.

The legal requirement for visual acuity it 20/40 not 20/20, i.e., read
3/4 inch letters at 20 feet. YOU PASS.

20/20 is very, VERY sharp vision -- as you currently have it. Smile

So you want it better -- by your judgment. They yes, continue to
work with Bates. I am very pleased you checked yourself. Very
few people do this type of checking. ???

Quote:Otis: I've confirmed about 25/20 in the left eye and 30/20 in the right. Together, they passed the 20/20 line with one or two errors (I tried a few different charts.).

Otis> GOOD! But you are wise to associate long-term near work with that initial "fuzzy" distant vision. Given
what you state objectively -- it is not that fuzzy.

Code:
But I'm still concerned that during an eye exam, I'll get a doctor that'll fail me if I get one error.

Otis> With your 20/20 vision -- some bone-head OD MIGHT "prescribe" an excessive minus. It would be
a mistake if you took it seriously and wore it. However, that would be YOUR choice -- not his.
As before you would pass the state DMV V.A. test. The ONLY issue MIGHT be your night vision.

Quote:I remember when I was seven, and taking an eye test. My mouth was talking faster than I was reading and accidentally messed up a letter.

Otis> Be careful! Some majority-opinion ODs LOVE to over-prescribe the minus. The second-opinion OD will do
everything in his power to AVOID giving you a minus. But you must keep your Snellen better-than 20/40 under
YOUR control.

Quote:So the doctor gave me 30/20 for the eye I read the line with. Haha.

Otis> Obviously a judgment "call".

Otis> One SLIGHT correction. Visual acuity is given as Feet / Size

Otis> Thus 20/20 is a 3/8 inch letter seen at 20 feet.

Otis> 20/60 is reading 1 inch letters at 20 feet.

Otis> The distance is always stated first.

Otis> You have very good vision at this point. But keep alert as the commentary
develops on Dave's site. Bates was correct about many of these subjects.

Best,

Otis
aurum-femina Wrote:And I am confused about when I am supposed to see black, am I supposed to look at the inside of my eyelids?
OH MY GOD THANK GOD YOU DIDNT TRY PALMING YET!!!! DO NOT LOOK AT THE INSIDE OF YOUR EYELIDS!!! >Sad >Sad You will fail!!! I did that when I began and that's the only counter productive thing you can do - forcing something to appear when it's not there.

here's the key: BACK OF YOUR MIND
Whenever you imagine things, imagine them in the "back of your mind." Anywhere but in your eyelids. Looking in your eyelids you will see ugly flashes of light and your vision will get worse without doubt.

I hope i didn't scare you. As long as you don't look in your eyelids, you'll be better than ever!!
cheerio Wrote:
aurum-femina Wrote:And I am confused about when I am supposed to see black, am I supposed to look at the inside of my eyelids?
OH MY GOD THANK GOD YOU DIDNT TRY PALMING YET!!!! DO NOT LOOK AT THE INSIDE OF YOUR EYELIDS!!! >:( >:( You will fail!!! I did that when I began and that's the only counter productive thing you can do - forcing something to appear when it's not there.

here's the key: BACK OF YOUR MIND
Whenever you imagine things, imagine them in the "back of your mind." Anywhere but in your eyelids. Looking in your eyelids you will see ugly flashes of light and your vision will get worse without doubt.

I hope i didn't scare you. As long as you don't look in your eyelids, you'll be better than ever!!
Thank you! No, you didn't. ;)

I'll try to see if I can master that. I keep shifting back into my eyelids when I try to think about the back of my mind. But I'm wondering, is it possible to close your eyes and imagine that you are looking through walls and across the street? Would that get similar results in case I can't stop shifting into my eyelids?

Again, thank you all for your help! :)
otis Wrote:Dear Aurum,

Subject: Your judgment -- about what you want and your goal.

The legal requirement for visual acuity it 20/40 not 20/20, i.e., read
3/4 inch letters at 20 feet. YOU PASS.

20/20 is very, VERY sharp vision -- as you currently have it. Smile

So you want it better -- by your judgment. They yes, continue to
work with Bates. I am very pleased you checked yourself. Very
few people do this type of checking. ???

Quote:Otis: I've confirmed about 25/20 in the left eye and 30/20 in the right. Together, they passed the 20/20 line with one or two errors (I tried a few different charts.).

Otis> GOOD! But you are wise to associate long-term near work with that initial "fuzzy" distant vision. Given
what you state objectively -- it is not that fuzzy.

Code:
But I'm still concerned that during an eye exam, I'll get a doctor that'll fail me if I get one error.

Otis> With your 20/20 vision -- some bone-head OD MIGHT "prescribe" an excessive minus. It would be
a mistake if you took it seriously and wore it. However, that would be YOUR choice -- not his.
As before you would pass the state DMV V.A. test. The ONLY issue MIGHT be your night vision.

Quote:I remember when I was seven, and taking an eye test. My mouth was talking faster than I was reading and accidentally messed up a letter.

Otis> Be careful! Some majority-opinion ODs LOVE to over-prescribe the minus. The second-opinion OD will do
everything in his power to AVOID giving you a minus. But you must keep your Snellen better-than 20/40 under
YOUR control.

Quote:So the doctor gave me 30/20 for the eye I read the line with. Haha.

Otis> Obviously a judgment "call".

Otis> One SLIGHT correction. Visual acuity is given as Feet / Size

Otis> Thus 20/20 is a 3/8 inch letter seen at 20 feet.

Otis> 20/60 is reading 1 inch letters at 20 feet.

Otis> The distance is always stated first.

Otis> You have very good vision at this point. But keep alert as the commentary
develops on Dave's site. Bates was correct about many of these subjects.

Best,

Otis

Otis,

My bad. Haha. I meant 20/25 and 20/30. Smile

Yes, I passed the DMV test a few months ago missing one letter in the right eye, but I've lately been a little concerned about if my vision got a little worse since that. D: Would I pass again when I get my license? I don't want to take the risk, so I want to make sure I've got good enough vision in time.

Yeah, I am just afraid that I will strain when I read on the board across the room, which might make my vision worse. And sight is the most beautiful sense we have. Smile

I was wondering what exercises you would recommend? Should I try swinging or palming? I've been trying palming imagining things at the back of my mind, but I've gotten some strain attempting to do that. Is there any tricks to help palming go more smoothly?
aurum-femina Wrote:I was wondering what exercises you would recommend? Should I try swinging or palming? I've been trying palming imagining things at the back of my mind, but I've gotten some strain attempting to do that. Is there any tricks to help palming go more smoothly?
Speaking as someone who has cured himself of myopia (and passed the DMV test as a result), swinging, as well as observing "the swing of things" all day long, seemed much more relevant to me. I recommend doing 400-600 swings (back and forth being one) at a comfortable pace in the morning, with a few sessions of 100-200 now and then throughout the day and just before bed. Remember that seeing is a passive process--I have always found it helpful to say it's not you who sees, but the rest of the world that sees you. Someone here said something about seeing from the back of your head rather than from your eyes, and I really think that helps cement the idea of the eyes as receiving rather than taking. To kind of hammer it home, check out this great Youtube video I stumbled upon a while back.

That said, whatever you find reduces your strain will do you much good. You're young, haven't worn glasses and your vision is still pretty fine, so you should reach a cure pretty quickly. Keep us posted.
Dear Aurum,

Subject: The various-methods of Snellen clearing.

It is good that you are concerned about your Snellen. Very few people
actually check. ???

I am concerned that you PERSONALLY clear your Snellen back to 20/20 -- BY YOUR
WORK WITH VARIOUS BATES METHODS. Smile

Thus, if, by swinging, palming, sunning, you finally CONFIRM that both eyes
"clear" to the 20/25 to 20/20 range, then you will indeed pass the DMV legal
requirement.

This is the best type of work you can do. Just read imagination-blindness and
follow the various recommendations. Smile

Best,

Otis
Ridley Wrote:Speaking as someone who has cured himself of myopia (and passed the DMV test as a result), swinging, as well as observing "the swing of things" all day long, seemed much more relevant to me. I recommend doing 400-600 swings (back and forth being one) at a comfortable pace in the morning, with a few sessions of 100-200 now and then throughout the day and just before bed. Remember that seeing is a passive process--I have always found it helpful to say it's not you who sees, but the rest of the world that sees you. Someone here said something about seeing from the back of your head rather than from your eyes, and I really think that helps cement the idea of the eyes as receiving rather than taking. To kind of hammer it home, check out this great Youtube video I stumbled upon a while back.

That said, whatever you find reduces your strain will do you much good. You're young, haven't worn glasses and your vision is still pretty fine, so you should reach a cure pretty quickly. Keep us posted.

That makes sense. I've noticed that things are clearer in the morning. Observing the swing of things at your vision's peak would help. I'll see if I can go to bed earlier and wake up earlier to do them.

otis Wrote:Dear Aurum,

Subject: The various-methods of Snellen clearing.

It is good that you are concerned about your Snellen. Very few people
actually check. ???

I am concerned that you PERSONALLY clear your Snellen back to 20/20 -- BY YOUR
WORK WITH VARIOUS BATES METHODS. Smile

Thus, if, by swinging, palming, sunning, you finally CONFIRM that both eyes
"clear" to the 20/25 to 20/20 range, then you will indeed pass the DMV legal
requirement.

This is the best type of work you can do. Just read imagination-blindness and
follow the various recommendations. Smile

Best,

Otis

Actually, My eyesight was 20/20 in both eyes at the beginning of the school year. I am concerned that it will get worse. Which is why I'd want to prevent it from going any lower and start the exercises. I want to make sure I am doing certain exercises right, because it's possible I'm contributing to the lowering. But I'm going to make absolute sure from now on that I don't self-induce headaches from the exercises. Haha.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now