MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Reverse breathing + Bates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse breathing + Bates
Hello everybody

Has anybody tried reverse breathing (taoist technique) as an aid for healing myopia with Bates? Well I recently tried it and after I start breathing this way my vision gets better INSTANTLY! I would like to know if it helps others too.

For those who doesn't know what reverse breathing is, just google it. theres not too much resources though. Also if you find some martial arts folks writing about it, make sure you don't follow the guidelines of using any strain in doing reverse breathing, it should be done without any strain and freely (as anyone using Bates should already know).

Waiting for Your comments. Good luck.
I tend to do abdominal breathing when I start being mindful of my breath(maybe because of having studied Qi Gung) but I can't remember it affecting my sight profoundly, but generally alleviating strain. I have had to keep relaxation techniques as simple as possible so there is no trouble remembering one thing best of all(a black period).
Actually, I myself have become rather suspicious of all breathing techniques, including abdominal breathing recommended by Thomas Quackenbush.

Like you I also share the experience of it improving my eyesight dramatically (literally in seconds!) but I have suspected that this kind of improvement is really nothing more than artificial, so I basically decided to discontinue or lessen my practice of it (of trying to consciously modify the breathing pattern all the time). This improvement, for me, was only just a temporary thing that, although aided me in gaining very deep relaxation and therefore improved eyesight, did not last the next day or the next week or the next month as soon as I stopped doing it. Kind of like getting a tear in your eye to make clearer sight or the light causing the pinhole effect.

From another view, you can indeed, if you feel it is helpful, practice this breathing stuff to produce the favorable condition (optimum) which makes it easier to gain relaxation through the other methods. Bates wrote about this once in the magazine, I think it was called 'Rabbit's Throat' - you might find it interesting. He says that it allowed patients to gain a more permanent relaxation and sustain is more constantly to attain perfect sight in a shorter time.

The thing I'm trying to get at though is that I would discourage you from using it as the sole, underlying sustaining method, even though it can be very tempting to do so - it's kind of like getting a reliance on drugs - at first it feels great and you think you are getting a lot of benefit and happiness from it, but then you realize it was just artificial. So use it now and again to get yourself into that favorable condition, then forget all about your breathing and distribute the majority of time for the actual, proper rest methods.

Another point I want to make is that I think all this deep, natural breathing stuff really comes out as a product of restoring perfect sight, and I'm saying this as a result of my own experience, as well as what I read in the magazines. I frequently find that my breathing automatically becomes normal and invigorating during prolonged clear flashes (which I am getting A LOT of recently!). And if you read the magazines, you can find numerous cases where patients who had colds or flu or nasal blockage would be cured immediately as soon as they could palm perfect or to gain rest of the mind through imagination etc. The mindset of manipulating one's breathing to bring about perfect sight is, in my opinion, a misleading one, because when you have perfect sight breathing will automatically become normal, just like another of the hundreds of side effects of being cured.

Lastly - the most important thing which we should all remember, and this is just reiterating what Kiesling said a while back in a different thread, is this: The very finest use of breathing is a very simple one, and that is to direct the attention away from thoughts which are clouding up your mind but which you can't seem to get away from. These thoughts which go out of control and a big contributor to imperfect sight, and I've found that by focusing my attention on something else, such as breathing, I have found a great deal of relief. And since perfect sight is largely just about mental control, being able to redirect your attention and thoughts to and fro at will without getting sucked into your thoughts and losing this control is a great help. I'm really only just beginning to realize how useful the simple habit of just redirecting your attention and thoughts onto something else can be, and how quickly a favourable condition can be produced in this way.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Sorry for bumping this topic up, I didn't realize the thread was so old!
BTW sorry this post is so disorganized and unreadable, lately I just can't seem to put my thoughts into a logical and clear order when I'm writing something... and I can't seem to express myself too well... the emphasisms and accents I wanted keep going all screwed up and ending up in the wrong places! Sad (Need to practice Bates to fix it, lol)
Attention to natural breathing is a profoundly powerful tool for quieting the mind/relaxation. I would never suggest that Bates was more important or more worth spending time on than this kind of practice. But, no, breathing meditation alone likely will not get you perfect sight. One has to be intentional about ridding the eyes of strain, it won't just happen as a bi-product (I thinkSmile). So it is the Bates method that is the necessary tool for reclaiming your vision. But, breathing may be of great aid in this challenge because it will take you out of the path of your unceasing barrage of thoughts.
I'm going to disagree to a certain extent here. I believe that abdominal breathing could greatly benefit your vision improvement and if it doesn't it certainly won't hurt. People have a habit of breathing far too shallow, we really should all be doing abdominal breathing all of the time.

As a story to illustrate my point, the significance of this never dawned on me before, but back when I practiced Aikido I remember doing abdominal breathing techniques with them after practice. It is shocking how much it can affect your body. I remember I used to be able to rocket my heart rate into the floor, hard to say what I reached, maybe 30 beats per minute or less? When I opened my eyes the world was always so much sharper and above all else *vivid* with colours so intense I never imagined them before.

I think it would be a mistake to simply go back to the old method of breathing with some excuse like, it'll clear up when my vision clears.
I haven't tried reverse breathing. Sounds interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_breathing

But in general, focusing on breathing I think can be valuable. I do it constantly. Not continuously, but many times throughout the day I'll take a few breaths in a certain way. I'll go ahead and make a topic in the Method of the Month forum on breathing.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Sorry I laid too much emphasis on dumping the whole breathing method in my earlier post. That wasn't my intention!
The emphasis was meant to be on not relying on it as your sole method, but that to practice other methods alongside it is a requirement.
I know how much it can help to periodically take breaths in like David said. Which is what I meant by 'it helps you to get into the favourable condition'. In fact, I am going to do it more often from now! Big Grin
otto Wrote:I tend to do abdominal breathing when I start being mindful of my breath(maybe because of having studied Qi Gung) but I can't remember it affecting my sight profoundly, but generally alleviating strain.

I've also heard of abdominal breathing the other day, and i've tried it for some time. but i haven't found any relaxation out of it yet. after i did such a breathe,my eyes got a feeling of dryness and srain in eye muslce and were a little more fixed. this feeling becomes more obvious if i did it with my eyes closed.
so i don't know if i was doing it correctly. could you give me some help? Sad
Dick Wrote:I've also heard of abdominal breathing the other day, and i've tried it for some time. but i haven't found any relaxation out of it yet. after i did such a breathe,my eyes got a feeling of dryness and srain in eye muslce and were a little more fixed. this feeling becomes more obvious if i did it with my eyes closed.
so i don't know if i was doing it correctly. could you give me some help? Sad

Hello,

First you should start practise abdominal breathing only. And only when you become used to it and when you can do it naturally and relaxed, only then i would recommend shifting your attention to vision.

Recently i noticed one thing what improves vision even more while practising abdominal (or reverse) breathing is concentrating on your forehead, where third eye is traditionally depicted (it might also help visualizing energy traveling trough a spine to that spot). If you do it correcly you should start to feel something like energy bubble in you forehead. I noticed long term (while not doing it) vision improvement when i started practising it.
its really good to oxygenate yourself now and then

holding the breath for just a moment at the top of a natural inhale, and the bottom of a natural exhale, in the span of a few minutes produces big deep even breathing,

then one can breathe in through nose and out through mouth

and then later, breathe in through mouth and out through nose, exploring the effects this has on prana (OXYGEN ENERGY, different than chi, it is tingly), one can then learn to make very big deep open mouthed inhales (that are smooth and safe) to specific areas of the body, exhaling through nose, to bring vital life to wherever they wish, and practicing this now and then makes one feel clean and refrreshed

sun-gazing in a park , dismayed at all the cars and their terrible pollution, i began to simply b breathe in through nose and out through mouth, and after 30 minutes of this, the pollution was all neutralized and expulsed from my body, and i could breathe normally.

if someone has been smoking and wishes to exert healing they must learn to breathe deep and fully, there are immeasurable words on breathing techniques, all of which are helpful, important is not straining.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now