MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
OK to still wear glasses sometimes? need help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK to still wear glasses sometimes? need help
Hello

I'm new here... I'm trying to start the exercises (got the book yesterday) and for the past few days since I discovered this site and started to read about the method, I've been not wearing my glasses whenever possible except where absolutely necessary. While I'm not wearing my glasses I'm surprised at how much more relaxed my eyes feel, and I'd love to throw them away and never use them again.

However, I absolutely need to wear them if I'm driving, and also for work- (I use a computer all day). Could somebody tell if if this is OK, or will it defeat the purposes of the exercises? I don't quite understand the whole thing yet, having only just found out about it, and I am worried that if my eyes start to get used to not having glasses, then when I do put them on it will make my eyes worse again.

Also I have another question (sorry ??? )

This morning I was trying palming and couldn't really get the hang of it - I couldn't imagine anything black. But then I tried to look at the test chart to practise my 'central fixation' and by looking at the first letter of the line then looking at the wall a couple of feet to the side, telling myself that the letter I was trying to see was worse, then looking back at the letter and telling myself it was black, suddenly the oddest thing happened- for a very brief moment, probably less than a second, the whole line became so clear and sharp that I could read it as if I were wearing my glasses. After getting over the initial shock I tried with the next line - and again, sure enough, it happened.

I tried to do it again this afternoon but couldn't - no matter how long I stood there I couldn't get the line to go clear again. Was this just my imagination, just a one off? Or is it a sign of something good?

Hope nobody minds me coming on here and immeditely asking questions- :-\ I feel at the moment that this is something quite daunting but something I really want to achieve.

Thanks...

Smile
Cubster Wrote:I tried to do it again this afternoon but couldn't - no matter how long I stood there I couldn't get the line to go clear again. Was this just my imagination, just a one off? Or is it a sign of something good?

It's not about "trying" to make it happen again. If you continue to read the book, Bates says that everything will come effortlessly, otherwise you are straining. Just be sure to relax, and don't try to force anything to happen, because then it won't.
what cheerio said is true, as soon as you 'try' it usually doesn't happen. What you did that day was probably with a very open mind and in a more relaxed state; don't worry, it will happen again. What you experienced is refered to here as a 'clear flash' and as you learn the method you will experience them more often and more clearly!

I, too, have to wear glasses as I improve my eyesight. It definitely slows down progress, but I have still progressed from 5/200 to about 10/40 (that is roughly equivalent to 20/800 to 20/80, it's very nice!)

So don't let it discourage you, just wear them only when needed and you'll still see improvement without them! By the way I wear a reduced prescription lense, about 20/40, this is more relaxing than wearing an overprescribed lense from the optometrist. But please, don't get stuck on choosing reduced lenses, it's not about improving your eyesight with reduced lenses, it's about improving your sight without any lenses. There's no formula, just trial and error. Use a Snellen chart, and measure for yourself your visual accuity without glasses, and with your reduced pair if you need them for driving.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!
Thank you both for replies, that helps a lot. I realise now that when I was trying to get the 'clear flash' to happen again, I was getting too worked up about it and not letting it happen.

I am literally only wearing my glasses now for computer work and for driving - at all other times, and even in breaks from my computer, I take them off and my eyes definitely feel more relaxed.

I don't know if I can get a reduced prescription - as far as I was aware until now, I could only get whatever prescription the optician said I needed? But it's something I will find out about.

And wow, sorrisiblue, that sounds like an amazing improvement. Well done- it must be wonderful to have achieved that.

Smile Smile
Hi!

Briefly:

Here's my take on opticians/optometrists - they aren't doctors, so don't treat them that way. They are professionals, so you treat them with respect like a professional, but not like they are all knowing and make decisions for you. That means: you are the customer, they are providing a service to you. You get what you want. If you think explaining the Bates method will be an uphill battle (which many people have found, it just leads to an argumetn wtih the optometrist), then just say you'd like a weaker pair for computer work, say 20/40. Just a warning though, what comes out in their office as 20/40 might be 20/20 in daylight, so you might go for say 20/60? That's just my experience, I can see much better through my glasses in daylight than in the dark tunnel vision inducing optometrist's office.

Alternatively, you can order them online, just search 'glasses online' and you'll find plenty. Personally, it's so cheap in the UK to get an appointment and new lenses that I find the frames (that get fit to your face) and lenses of higher enough quality that it's worth paying for. In the US, I think I'd go for the online order though. I do have a pair that I ordered online, and they are great for reading. The lenses have a lot of static though, so I get annoyed that they constantly have fuzz on them.
He is right, you don't even have to explain anything to them. Just say you want a pair for computer work that will leave things slightly blurry (about 20/40 or 20/60). They usually attack the Bates method as they have no hope for it.
sorris is also right about them not being doctors. They are sales people (glasses) that are trained to examine the eye. They are all competing for customers and they know perfectly well that if the customer isn't satisfied, he will seek another optician.
I really enjoyed the posts on this thread. Some good info & advice Smile

I too need to use my glasses for driving, but only during nighttime. I only started seriously using the Bates Method about 2 weeks ago, at which point I needed my glasses for driving during the day as well, but the other day there I noticed I could see everything quite clearly enough to manage without them in daylight! So you can definitely improve while using your glasses in an emergency.

I would advise against any long car journeys though, I had to drive for about 3 hours a good few times, and after wearing them that long my vision had been seriously reduced. The positive side of this though is that each time it got that worse again, the amount of time I had to practice before it went right back to a much better vision is becoming less and less. If I keep up this rate of improvement in another month or 2, who knows!

You've only started learning the Bates Method, so some advice, like others have said, is don't try to do it, the light coming to your eyes has travelled very far, as in the case of the sun, right to your eyes, its you and me thinking we need to do anything to receive it clearly is the problem. Your not constantly trying to hear with your ears are you? Your eyes are no different. Its all about letting them do their job so you can forget about them for the most part.

Hope that was a bit helpful, and good luck!
VividHazE
Hello again Smile

Thanks to everyone who has replied to me here. And well done to those of you who are making progress with this, it's lovely to hear.

Just thought I'd give you all a quick update. I had my eye test this morning, and I took with me a printout of the text that I read at work on my computer, (the text was printed so it was same size as what I see on the screen). I showed this to the optician and told her I wanted to be able to just see that and no more. She wasn't very happy, (I decided pretty early on to go with the advice here and not actually mention the Bates Method) but her attitude was sort of "okay, if that's what you want you can have it, but I don't agree".

I tried to ask her about 20/40 etc. but she said "that's American measurements, we don't use that." Her attitude upset me a bit I have to admit, but I managed to keep my nerve - not easy for me, I'm not what you'd call assertive. :-[

Anyhow, I got a prescription that allows me to still read my computer text but it is slightly blurry. I'm happy with this and should get them in about a weeks time.

The optician said she has taken 2 diopters off my 'proper' prescription for this.

And some more good news (hope you don't mind me sharing). :-\ I was gazing out into the garden this morning not long after I first woke up, lying in bed and feeling pretty relaxed. I wasn't thinking about my eyes at all, but I suddenly was aware that the little branches at the top of one of the trees seemed much sharper than they usually do when I don't have my glasses on. I think they had looked sharper for 3 or 4 seconds before I consciously became aware of it, at which point I blinked and they went back to 'normal'. I think this was another clear flash?? ??? I didn't expect it, and I guess that's what you're all telling me- that it happens when I don't try to make it happen. ;D

So somewhere inside of me I'm really starting to realise that my eyes can see properly, given the chance.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit here, I just feel I want to share this with someone. Guess you understand.

Take care
*Cubster*
Cubster,

Good point about the clear vision happening for a few seconds before you were actually aware of it. I think that happens to people a lot, but instead of realizing it's a clear flash as you did, because you're working on recovering your vision, most people would react to it as something weird happening with their vision, and strain in reaction to "fix" it back to normal. And they've so strongly associated seeing with strain (the actual act of straining as they do it, I don't mean the idea of strain) that they don't consciously register an image unless they're straining to see. Like each of those short memories of seeing without strain gets immediately discarded as they happen. Nasty stuff, what your mind will do to you.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
hi..
can i ask what book yu got.?
I have to admit though I still get terribly excited when I have a clear flash, and then usually the excitement makes it go away, if you see what I mean. Oh well. :Smile And I notice now (since I started all this) how often my eyesight changes, just from hour to hour or minute to minute, you know? Sometimes it's more blurry than at other times. I never used to notice that before with a pair of glasses stuck in front of my face all the time.

The books I got were 'Better Eyesight Without Glasses' by Bates himself, and 'Improve Your Eyesight' - unfortunately I can't remember who wrote that one :-\ and I'm at work right now so I can't check. But I bought them both together from Amazon with one of those 'buy this book, get this other one with it' deals.

Smile
Ah. I was at an opto-person recently. I didnt really have a plan when I went there. I wanted them to get an as-is opinion first. Although during the procedure I found myself saying several times: "I see more clearly with this lens but its more strain for me."
Kinda confused her a little and opened up for a discussion on reduced prescription quite naturally. Although it didnt help the stingy attitude about actually giving me a certificate of the prescription. I suppose, most bad salespersons feels the insecure urge to keep the customers in 'the dark' as much as possible.

Nevertheless, I think I would need 24/7 access for a week, to that equipment they have, for finding the range of my astigmatism. It seems to be all over the place these days. Especially with all the Bates relaxation techniques i'm using.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download