MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Breathing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathing
I talked about awareness of breath in this older thread:
http://www.iblindness.org/community/view...?f=1&t=856

Many times throughout the day I take a few seconds, or longer, to breathe in, and... Okay, I'm having a hard time trying to describe what I do, but basically it's pausing, breathing, feeling the breath, calming my mind, arresting any thoughts or emotions, and remembering that what is real for me in that moment is my breath, how I am and what I am doing. Everything else is a distraction. And this helps me to stop or avoid strain and be more rested in general. It's a big topic, or it leads into a bigger topic, but I wanted to throw a few words out there and start this thread on breathing.

Comments? What kinds of breathing techniques have affected your vision?

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I think breathing is a great assistant in eye-sight improvement. I once read a book by Nancy Zi The Art of Breathing and find it really fantastic Smile!

Simple excersising even within one week brings amazing results!!!

Breathing helps me to get rid of tension in eyes and body, I even feel more confident.

Another observation: I go to dance school. With all my love to dance I often found it quite hard to keep balance and felt very awkward Smile . After one week practice of conscious breathing (twice a day) my movements have become better-balanced.

The only thing - first results come very fast though go away even faster if not practiced regularly for continous period of time.

Here is the link to Nancy Zi' website: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theartofbreathing.com/index.htm">http://www.theartofbreathing.com/index.htm</a><!-- m -->
I try to breathe exactly as you describe, Olga. I even have the CD from Nancy Zi and think it is very good !
I also love to dance, tap dancing specifically, and breathing helps to stay focused and balanced.
We must be related ! hehehe Big Grin
Hm, that's great to know that someone else on the earth is breathing the same way ;D Wink

Have you noticed any improvement in your eyesight?
Hi Olga ! Yes, I do find breathing helps me, along with everything else. I find if I stop and do some
good breathing it clears my mind and thus I find it corrects my staring habit. I have observed on
myself that when I am worrying, stressed and stuck on a problem I tend to get a hard stare and
stop blinking !

oh and by the way, I have to make a correction and say I have the DVD from Nancy Zi. I formerly wrote
I have a CD.

Have a nice day ! ;D
Many people don't know how to breathe. They do the shallow breathing when you raise upper part of the body. I was one of them some months ago. The correct and relaxed breathing is the abdominal breathing. I wanted to teach a person about abdominal breathing, but she said that it's an "internet scam" and rejected it. And she's a biologist working full-time. That's bad.
I know for sure I have problems in the way I breathe. My nasal passages are often blocked and I breathe partly through the mouth. I know this is not good but I have tried many things ( both medications and various breathing exercises) but have not been able to get rid of this. Any suggestions?
Is it always like that, or does your nose ever clear?

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
It does clear now and then and only a minor nuisance. There are periods when it is clear for several months. Dont know the cause but I believe it is some allergy. I dont have a blocked nose at this time, but you cant predict when it will return.
My sister complains about this too. She says she has an "allergy". She takes some type of medication, but she has the habit of shallow breathing.

I don't know much about this, but are you doing abdominal breathing? The correct way to breathe is to raise your abdomen, and not your shoulders. Shallow breathing is when you raise your shoulders. That causes stress and maybe other things as well as you mentioned.

Try these exercises( if you do not already know them):

http://cas.umkc.edu/casww/brethexr.htm
Hi, I can always only breathe through one nose...the other nose is always stuffed...and it switches around sometimes i can breathe through my right nose and sometimes left...

Do i need to see a doctor? Or is my immune system and my body is just unfit? Do I just need to do more exercises and it will go away? I always have a runny nose too and the symptoms get
worse during the winter and when its cold...

It looks like im always doing shallow breathing....this is probably bad and i really want to breathe through my nose =( ...am I probably not getting much progress due to this?
Getting away from the topic of right nose verses left nose(Hee-hee!), I would like to bring back the thread to awareness and relaxation.
I'd like to suggest something that works for me. I am a fairly high-anxiety guy, call it PTSD or whatever but I tend to get stressed easily. I've known of the importance and benefits of being breath aware for years but have had felt it was too challenging to stay focused under adverse conditions(walking down the sidewalk, shopping, waiting for someone in a cafe, etc) and so have not been much of a regular practicioner. I currently have a part-time job being a security officer at a museum which is showing a travelling exhibition of Picasso's private collection. It has been really cool to stand there and shift and swing(small swings) on Picasso's work. Sometimes, however the discomfort of long periods of standing or the stress of being in a crowd that I am responsible for is too much to allow me the degree of relaxation that I need to work with my vision. My solution has been simply to count my breaths, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. At first I counted up for as long as I lost count or was distracted from my breathing - got to about 330. But I soon found that just counting up to 20 breaths and than starting at 1 again kept the focus on the breath more without being distracted by accurate counting. The nice thing about counting the breaths instead of just putting attention on breathing is your powers of attention don't have to be as strong. You can be only half aware that you are breathing and still get benefits from the practice( i.e.: calmer mind, feeling more grounded, body more relaxed, eyes more relaxed).
In order to start this practice I had to accept that I am where I am. Even if counting breaths seems novice and a bore it is appropriate for my current ability to focus. I found that after a week of doing it, it already has helped me stay calmer in confrontations that ordinarily push me to the edge. This is a practice I am committed to.
@otto: Thanks for the observation! I've also found it nice to count breaths, although I seem to be even more distraction-prone than you; I count to ten. I should also mention that breathing has helped in palming.
Otto

Funny that, I was just starting to become aware of how I keep catching my breath all the time when I read your post. Leaving aside eyesight, it really doesn't make any sense does it. I'm working on that too now.
Okay, I met with my very cool therapist Thursday and mentioned that I've been counting my breaths. He actually was the first to introduce me to the idea of mindful breathing. Well, he revealed that he counts his breaths, too, throughout the day when he senses himself getting ungrounded(not his words). His counting method which a buddhist monk shared with him is as follows: breathe in -ONE- breathe out -TWO- breathe in -THREE- breathe out -FOUR- breathe in -FIVE- breathe out -ONE-
breathe in -TWO- breathe out -THREE- breathe in -FOUR- breathe out (start at one again after the outbreath)
So you just count to five over and over but because it's an odd number the sequence changes. And it is important to be very gentle with yourself if you loose count or count too high and just return to ONE and keep going.
Such a helpful tool! Try it out!

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now