MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
strain : discarding glasses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strain : discarding glasses
i read the chapter of "strain" today.. dr bates recommend discarding glasses completely..
then dont we strain our eyes to read or go about things without glasses??
Hello mukesh.

Where in India do you live?

I think glasses produce much more strain ( especially at the reading distance) than without it. I have never used glasses for reading for the last 17 years, and I have -8D in both eyes. So I think you should be able to read more comfortably if you can adapt. It might take 2-3 days to adjust. I can do almost everything without glasses( even play badminton) and I never wear them except at the office. The one mistake in life I made was to wear glasses fulltime for the first four years ( including reading) when mine progressed from -2.75 to -5.0. By then it was too late. I realized that wearing glasses like that would render me blind sooner or later. When I changed to the -5 lenses, my vision took a nosedive, and I stopped wearing glasses for 4 years and it had improved a bit in that process. However I could not do my job ( I am a software professional) without glasses for the last 13 years, and have paid a price for it as my vision has decreased considerably from my student days. Since I wear a weak prescription my vision has been stable for several years now, and I hope I could improve my vision a bit so that I can discard the weaker glasses. Had I heard of the Bates method several years ago, I think I could have avoided all this. How many times I have pleaded with my doctors to do something about this? All in vain. What a patient is able to find out about myopia all by himself, our doctors do not know. They still keep prescribing glasses on children and also believe in issuing stronger and stronger lenses every day.
hey Ram bhai... i 'm frm HYDERABAD...
last week i got to know about this site and abt dr bates.. i am not using my glasses except for reading and watching tv.. i read in my mobile web during free time in office...(wearing glasses)
my myopia started from -0.5( i was 9 yrs old) and eventually progressed to -4.. i am still using my old spectacles..( -2.75 ) ones...i am 20 yrs old now..
are we not loosing out something in not wearing specks? loosing those wonderful sights, wacthing different people, their expressions, beautiful girls, ?? how unfortunate we are.......this is the firts week of mine doing without glasses and i get that widrawal symtom.. i feel why not go for a stronger prescription and enjoy goodsight...

u said u dint wear glasses for so many years ? dint that help u to improve ur sight??

i have just read a few chapters of the book and find it irrelevant.. the things dr bates is mentioning doesnt happen with me... for example i dont find the words shifting or swinging... i dont get my eyesight improved for a temporary period after doing palming...

ram bhai... please help me

thanks a lot for replying .
Hi Mukesh,

mukesh Wrote:hey Ram bhai... i 'm frm HYDERABAD...
last week i got to know about this site and abt dr bates.. i am not using my glasses except for reading and watching tv.. i read in my mobile web during free time in office...(wearing glasses)
my myopia started from -0.5( i was 9 yrs old) and eventually progressed to -4.. i am still using my old spectacles..( -2.75 ) ones...i am 20 yrs old now..
are we not loosing out something in not wearing specks? loosing those wonderful sights, wacthing different people, their expressions, beautiful girls, ?? how unfortunate we are.......this is the firts week of mine doing without glasses and i get that widrawal symtom.. i feel why not go for a stronger prescription and enjoy goodsight...

I suppose that to gain something, you have to sacrifice something( in the beginning). You can only answer this question for yourself. How much is natural vision important for you? How glasses affect your life etc. If you think you are quite happy with the glasses then the Bates method may not impress you. If at 20, you have -4D, your myopia will likely progress if you do not do something. Higher myopia comes with the risks of cataracts, retinal detachment and other complications, so if you can reverse it, all these risks will be less. Most people are not aware because doctors do not tell patients. Going without glasses as much as you can now may prevent you from becoming blind at a future date. So it would be worth missing some of the niceties of life you get through sight. And if you apply yourself, you have the chance of recovering the lost vision.

Quote:u said u dint wear glasses for so many years ? dint that help u to improve ur sight??

Actually I did not know that you could improve your sight until recently. I was aware that glasses are not good for the eyes based on my own experience, but I did not know that they could be improved. My vision never deteriorated in periods I did not wear glasses, and always went down when I was wearing them. So I never thought of glasses as a device that gave me good vision, but as a monster that took away my unaided vision. I think the main reason is that glasses prescribed for the 20 feet distance are actually over-prescribed at the reading distance and put enormous strain on the eye when glasses are used at the reading distance. Thus use of glasses for reading is more dangerous than using them for long distance viewing, and causes progression of myopia.

Quote:i have just read a few chapters of the book and find it irrelevant.. the things dr bates is mentioning doesnt happen with me... for example i dont find the words shifting or swinging... i dont get my eyesight improved for a temporary period after doing palming...

ram bhai... please help me

thanks a lot for replying .

Perhaps you need to be a little more patient before concluding this? I dont think you can evaluate a method in 2 days time. I am new to this method, so I guess I wont be able to help you. You should either read more of the book and try to put them in practice, or try to find some one who has some experience with this method. So far I am getting some good results that I want to continue and see what happens.
hey ram bhai..
thanks for replying
yea u are right..
i cannot come to a conclusion in just two days...
ill try reading that book i full and also read it again till i get the hang of it..
lets c what happens... i am typing this msg without glasses Smile

wer are u from?
take care...keep in touch
Hi,

I am from Kerala. It will be more beneficial to read the book several times and then share and exchange ideas.

Personally, I found the chapters 'Memory As an Aid to Vision', 'Imagination As an Aid to Vision', 'Mind and Vision' to be the most ingenious and original. I have not been properly able to understand these topics yet, though I have started with Palming and Shifting to have a feel of the approach and see what relaxation it brings about. I wish to incorporate mind-techniques as soon as I get more familiar with the approach. I have the habit of meditating several hours a day though it never occurred to me that it could be utilized to improve vision.

SInce I am interested in philosophy and spirituality, I found that some of the ideas in the book were spiritual in nature though presented in a scientific manner. From a philosophical standpoint, it is the mind ( or the soul) that is responsible for all our functions and the sense organs by themselves carry out only limited purposes, and only under the direction of the mind. Thus, it really makes sense to fix the mind to fix the errors in perception induced by the senses, provided the senses dont have any organic defect( such as damaged cornea or retina). Though my vision is poor, I have much better than normal hearing ( which was found when I had an ENT complaint some years ago) so the mind works in mysterious ways, and defects of vision seem to caused when mind is afflicted in certain zones or plexuses( which are called chakras in the Yoga terminology). The Manipura or the navel chakra is associated with the eyes, and it maybe that there is some problem at that level and meditation and processes directed at that level may help with visual problems. And also, all physcial problems have a component in the Ajna chakra( the junction of the eyebrows) which is the seat of the mind. I have never tried any spiritual/mental approach so far. But reading the book of Bates set me thinking about the visual problem partly in terms of the mind rather than in terms of the structure of the eye itself, which is the approach of mainstream ophthalmology.

Regards,
Ram
do u ahve any idea wer do we get the hard copy of the book?? i searched for it in all book shops in hyd but dint find it...
i got the book..
Cool! Did you get 'The Cure of Imperfect Sight Without Glasses'? Make sure it's that one and not the corrupt 1940 version, 'Better Sight Without Glasses - Regain 20/20 vision'.

Quote:then dont we strain our eyes to read or go about things without glasses??

Well, yeah. But if you were wearing glasses it's even worse because it subdues and palliates the strain making you forget it's there. That's why it's the worst thing ever and why it retards the cure, and why you have to discard them immediately. And the strain you feel now is a far less dangerous one that will disappear when you are able to rest. If that takes 5 minutes, it will go away in 5 minutes. If that takes 2 weeks, it will vanish in 2 weeks.

And the benefit of the sudden strain that becomes apparent in the first days when you permanently discard lenses is that it forces you into a motivated state to put in all the dedication possible so that you can get cured from it quick.
Ram Wrote:Going without glasses as much as you can now may prevent you from becoming blind at a future date. So it would be worth missing some of the niceties of life you get through sight. And if you apply yourself, you have the chance of recovering the lost vision.

It's not just a mere 'chance' of restoring your vision. If you apply yourself and can achieve the state of rest, it WILL happen, you WILL recover, that's an unquestionable fact.

Quote:I think the main reason is that glasses prescribed for the 20 feet distance are actually over-prescribed at the reading distance and put enormous strain on the eye when glasses are used at the reading distance. Thus use of glasses for reading is more dangerous than using them for long distance viewing, and causes progression of myopia.

Actually, strain at the nearpoint doesn't cause myopia, and Dr. Bates proved this by examination with the retionscope on the eyes of several thousand school children. Read the chapter of 'The Prevention of Myopia: Methods that Failed' again and read the chapter that follows it. Reducing near work does nothing to help stop the progression of myopia, and not only was this discovered by Dr. Bates but also several years onwards vision researched have confirmed the same truths. It's a strain to see at the distance that causes myopia. Near strain often causes hypermetropoia, farsightedness.

Quote:i have just read a few chapters of the book and find it irrelevant.. the things dr bates is mentioning doesnt happen with me... for example i dont find the words shifting or swinging...

Yes, remember that what Bates is explaining here is illusions of people with normal sight, not of imperfect sight. So the fact that you can't see the words shifting or swinging actually confirms everything Bates said. When you can learn to see these illusions as they should be seen you will instantaneously have normal sight. What you should do is keep trying to achieve rest by testing out different techniques and messing about for a while before you come to any conclusions that 'Dr. Bates was wrong, shifting and swinging doesn't happen and it's all stupid'. Because when you can get rest, even to a small degree, all the illusions and facts become much easier to demonstrate and you will feel very much encouraged when you can demonstrate them.

Quote:Perhaps you need to be a little more patient before concluding this? I dont think you can evaluate a method in 2 days time.

I agree, patience is a wonderful virtue, you've got to keep going and not be deterred just from 2 days of failure. Remember that the most successful people in history are the ones who have failed many times in order to achieve some success. The Wright brothers had to fail many times before they were finally able to make their marvellous invention. Failure is the pillar of success.

Quote:I am new to this method, so I guess I wont be able to help you. You should either read more of the book and try to put them in practice, or try to find some one who has some experience with this method. So far I am getting some good results that I want to continue and see what happens.

Actually, the time that you've spent practicing the Bates system is irrelevant and unimportant. Every little shred of experience of improvement that you can share with us is golden stuff, even if you only practiced for 5 minutes! People who are new to the whole Bates thing are actually in my opinion the people with the most potential for success, because they haven't polluted their mind with wrong ideas and doubts.
hey... thank you kazekage to spare time to this thread..
i got the " better eyesight without glasses " orient paper backs publications ...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.orientpaperbacks.com/bookmore.asp?id=22">http://www.orientpaperbacks.com/bookmore.asp?id=22</a><!-- m -->
although i finished reading the book from the net on my mobile web. and the above book is quite similar .. a few chapters have been removed...

Quote:
It's not just a mere 'chance' of restoring your vision. If you apply yourself and can achieve the state of rest, it WILL happen, you WILL recover, that's an unquestionable fact.
your confidence is very inspiring..
this is my fifth day wihout glasses..
and i am glad to admit that i feel my eyes have improved a bit..(m not sure but i feel so)
i dont do much of palming.. and if i do i do it hardly for 2 minutes at a time..
i start my day with sunning.. 2 minutes.. then i splash my eyes with water...
today i have baught the snellen test card and made three copies of it.. hanged one far away.. one near by to me..
i can just read the frst letter from 20 ft distance...

Quote:I agree, patience is a wonderful virtue, you've got to keep going and not be deterred just from 2 days of failure. Remember that the most successful people in history are the ones who have failed many times in order to achieve some success. The Wright brothers had to fail many times before they were finally able to make their marvellous invention. Failure is the pillar of success.
well i wud like to say that i am quiet perseverant... ( i lost 17 kgs in 3 months Smile , in a healthy way , i was a bit over weight earlier)
one of my friend ( he has now normal vision though bates method,he took professional help) adviced me to take professional guidance first.. i have a problem going to another state , to the professional for that.. so i am aprhensive state..
i just hope i am going in the right direction by trying to do it myself...
thanks a lot in advance for your anticipated reply...
i see no improvemnt...
Mukesh,

The first day I tried shifting I noticed that my vision improved by 25% and remained like that for 2 hours. Since then I have never had such an improvement probably because I expect something to happen. I started Bates in late April and maybe have 5% improvement now, which is not significant. I think expecting something is actually detrimental. Just continue with the practices as if nothing new is going on. Expectation adds to mental tension and may retard progress. If something does not work try something different you never know what might work for you. Make a routine and stick by it sincerely and dont monitor every day. Give atleast 3-6 months. Bad ingrained eye habits dont change that fast.
ok... i was about to withdraw from this.. and go back to wear my glasses... but as u say.. ill be wid it ...
i think using the computer and reading makes me more myopic...
i dont know... palming has never helped me...
sunning is ok.. i enjoy it.. but what good is it doing to me..?
i just hope that i see some substantial result so that i believe in this method and stick to it forever...i want some kind of improvement to believe this...
If the computer is bothering you try using the swing browser from http://www.central-fixation.com/downloads.shtml. It will force your eyes to move and break the habit of staring. I have been using this for a few days and it has helped me to overcome some amount of strain without glasses.But I am still way off from being comfortable without glasses when using the computer and I guess it will take a few weeks or months.

Palming may not help everyone in the beginning especially those who have higher refractive error. If you are not seeing something close to black while palming it may cause strain. So if palming is not useful now dont do it.

Since techniques such as swinging ,shifting and sun treatment give you something definite to do they are likely to help more people in the beginning. With techniques such as palming, memory and imagination which are not well defined it takes time to get proficient especially when you dont have a teacher.

Take off your glasses and try to keep shifting your gaze consciously for a few weeks and things should start to slowly improve and also help you to experiment with other techniques. I dont have anything else to say since I am on the same boat as you.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now