MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Thoughts on looking directly at the sun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on looking directly at the sun
I am familiar with many people's objections to looking at the sun, and have observed how some people will defend Bates' by saying he later decided that one should look with the lids closed. I'm not criticising either viewpoint by any means, but I did want to bring up some thoughts.

I had noticed early on after starting the Bates' method that the residual image that happens after looking directly at the sun could be drastically reduced and the length of time it exists through eye-muscle relaxation. At one point I had looked at the late-afternoon sun for at least a few minutes (out of curiosity) all the while trying to make sure my eyes were relaxed. It was not particularly bothersome, and the residual image of the sun after looking away was fairly weak and was entirely gone in less than a minute.

Just to put any concerned minds at ease, this isn't something I normally do or intend to do. For the most part, I will very occasionally look at the sun very vaguely and for a fraction of a second to see how my eye muscles are reacting to the bright light.

The reason for bringing this up is this: we are all aware that looking at the sun can "hurt". I have observed the pain as just the massive tensing up of the eye muscles, and it can be relieved by relaxing them. Eye doctors resist the notion that eye strain can cause or relieve other eye problems (cataracts, etc.), so is it unreasonable to think that the damage caused by looking at the sun can rather be caused by the immense strain in doing so?

Physically speaking, the tensing up of the eye muscles doesn't really accomplish anything as far as protecting the eye is concerned. I'm inclined to think it's an emotional response, maybe one we learned early on in our infancy. Maybe one caused by perceived danger because of an extreme emotional sensation (which infants generally tend to be fearful of), which may or may not be valid. Or then again, maybe it is a valid response to a real danger Smile

Just some thoughts.
bjsilva,

I agree completely. Squinting and tensing several facial muscles doesn't do any good, but most of us do it out of habit in bright enough sunlight. That interests me much more than the supposed dangers of the sunlight by itself. There's a group of currently over 1600 people here:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/sungazing/

I think I've heard of only one person there who reported a little damage to his retina, a couple years ago, but that was only when examined by an ophthalmologist, and if anything his vision, which was fine to start with, had only improved. Another one emailed me anonymously through my site, with no return email address, saying he damaged his eyes by sungazing but gave no details at all and said he purposely left out his email address. The only other damage I can think of is someone who watched an eclipse years ago while wearing glasses (myopic glasses + sun = bad) and then got examined years later and the doctor said he had a little retinal damage. But I've never heard of any confirmed reports of retinal or any other diseases from sungazing. In even modern day Peru people sungaze to get rid of eye problems.

I do think there are limits and that it is possible for someone to damage their eyes. Anything that powerful can cause damage. And people think afterimages from glancing at the sun mean that they burned their eyes, which is ridiculous. The danger is exaggerated and it's pretty much just hysteria.

A few years ago, the first time I tried it I did it for several minutes, one eye at a time, and got a yellow afterimage lasting a couple months or so. Then it went away. Then came back, which was weird, went away, came back, and then went away for good. Makes you think. Later on I started doing it a little again, but didn't have another afterimage that lasted long.

The late afternoon sun is really dim compared to noon, as you've noticed, and many people may be surprised that that they can look directly at it without squinting or any discomfort.

I think you bring up some interesting ideas to ponder about why we tense up in bright light. Also notice what happens when you cover either eye and look at it. It's way less intense - not 1/2 as intense, less than that. So the reaction also has something to do with both eyes looking together, whether it has to do with a minor issue in binocular vision (which can of course be improved) or something having to do with energy flows into and out of the body through the eyes.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download