MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Sun Treatment and Pain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sun Treatment and Pain
It is about ten days since I started the sun treatment. At this time I do three minutes of sunning ( eyes closed) , followed by looking at the bright sky around the sun for five minutes with plenty of blinking and shifting. AFter this I take several casual glances at the sun without trying to look at it continuosly for more than five seconds at a time. After doing all these, I see all yellow for about ten minutes to twenty and everything feels dark which I presume are after images. I palm for 20 minutes after sunning. There is not much discomfort at the time I do this, but a few hours later I get headache with pain in the eye with difficulty in moving the eyes. I also get disturbed sleep and find it hard to keep the eyes closed. Next morning the pain is gone. Is it common to experience this kind of pain several hours after sun exposure? What should I so to avoid this? Is it OK to continue this and hope that my eyes will get adjusted after a while?
I too, have experienced a little bit of after pain today, but it was only temporary, and went away when I managed to look at the sun without strain.

Speaking of sun gazing. I stupidly stared at the setting sun yesterday, and developed a scotoma because of it. A very faint one, which I know will go away with time. Now that I've read more about sun gazing, I was able to do it correctly a few times today. Now, are there any articles that support the sun gazing practice? I'm a very skeptical person, which is probably why I'm not cured yet, but I'm very concerned about the practice of sun gazing.

Our bodies have a habit of looking away from the sun because it's bright. People with 20/20 vision, and have never worn glasses, squint and turn away when they look at the sun too. Why are we straying away from our bodies natural habit, when most of Bates' teachings involve us going back to our natural ways.

I'm just very cautious about something like this. I mean, how do we know this information could have just simply been a joke? With something such as staring at the sun, there needs to be concrete evidence supporting that it is not damaging like we are raised to believe.
Ben Hill Wrote:.

I'm just very cautious about something like this. I mean, how do we know this information could have just simply been a joke? With something such as staring at the sun, there needs to be concrete evidence supporting that it is not damaging like we are raised to believe.

I dont think looking at the sun is harmful. There is an ancient practice in India called 'surya namaskar' ( sun salutation) which is followed to this day by many people. It involves a set of Yogic exercises directed at the sun and also involves directly looking at the sun. This is a very old practice dating to thousands of years and it would not been practised by the masses if it were really harmful. I used to do this while I was very young and now regret that I discontinued it due to the influence of 'modern life' which is all about moving away from nature.

No doubt even people with good eyesight tend to avoid bright light but it is due to fear than any other reason. However knowing the deadly UV radiations emitted by the sun I would be wary of any practice that involves gazing at the bright sun for more than a few minutes.
Okay, thank you very much for clarifying that.

Just wanted to make sure some guy isn't laughing at his computer going, "Haha, I got the Bates guys to start staring at the sun!"
Haha Big Grin . There is some good (and hilariously funny) discussion of this in the past, and more if you search the archives;
Pay attention to rishi and evaristo, your questions are answered.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/0ff89b56af08649a/8f8f13ef8ab9719e?#8f8f13ef8ab9719e">http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.me ... ef8ab9719e</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/0d83ddfab01633c9/dba05482bf990908?#dba05482bf990908">http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.me ... 82bf990908</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/d3a50bfa8cdb79a3/e9c8476e20340c29?#e9c8476e20340c29">http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.me ... 6e20340c29</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/af7dabeef584993b/8595a002d650a5bf?#8595a002d650a5bf">http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.me ... 02d650a5bf</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/ea17bc1c00c0c844/4b9dac9fc64be451?#4b9dac9fc64be451">http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.me ... 9fc64be451</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/d32d804379feb46b/c2d677baaeb5b733?#c2d677baaeb5b733">http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.me ... baaeb5b733</a><!-- m -->
This evening I spent an hour exposing my eyes to the setting sun. Generally I kept them closed, and periodically opened them to the sun for a fraction of a second. It did seem to get easier, but that could have been because the sun was going down. But it helped me appreciate the difference between looking and staring, and realize that you can stare even for a small fraction of a second. I figure that I especially need to use the sun because I am nearsighted enough that I can only get very limited feedback from an eye chart, as I can't place it anywhere that I can see even the top letter clearly.
Carefull though with the rising and setting suns. The light is not as intense, so you can end up staring at it with strain, which is how I developed the scotoma I currently have. Temporary, but annoying.
I never looked at the sun with open eyes for more than a second, and won't until I really become comfortable with it. For a while, every time I thought of opening my eyes to the sun my strain increased as it was a disagreeable thought. I think that has to be unlearned.
Mankind has evolved with the sun and it is illogical to suppose that the sun is harmful to us. If you go to villages you will find the peasants working all day long in the hot sun without wearing any protection glasses or any protection clothes or hats. Human settlements have existed only for less than ten thousand years and what were people doing before that? Guess what, a few thousand years ago man could easily walk in the hot sun and even rest in the sun all day long without any problems - no cancer or anything like that. It is only when he moved indoors all the trouble started. And a few thousand years is hardly sufficient for man to loose his tolerance to the sun. We still have it in our genes. We are very much designed to be exposed to the sun. However if the present trend of fearing the sun continues, sometime down the timeline man will completely loose his natural protection . We will have only ourselves to blame then.
Ben Hill Wrote:Carefull though with the rising and setting suns. The light is not as intense, so you can end up staring at it with strain, which is how I developed the scotoma I currently have. Temporary, but annoying.
I wish I had read that before I looked at the sunset yesterday. Got one too. D:
I have decided to discontinue looking at the sun for now as I am unable to adjust. Maybe my defect is too high to do this at this time. Maybe I will try when my vision improves by other methods. However I would be still continuing with closed eye sunning for a few minutes daily. Monsoon rains have commenced so even this has become difficult to do as the sky is mostly overcast. The dim gloomy light is not helpful to vision improvement in general too and spending sometime outdoors is no longer very beneficial. It will be August when it will be clear sunshine again and hopefully I will be able to return to the sun again.
I look at it whenever I want to and accept any after-images and annoyances and pain it gives me

right now I have a pretty strong one, because a day or two ago I layed on the grass and stared at the noon-sun as much as I could, usually with one eye at a time.

what is nice is used to be, if I did that, I'd truly not be able to see hardly anything

now, I can do it, and its a lot more minor

i trust the intuition that eventually I shall be able to look at it any time of day without detriment of any sort, and greatly healing the eyes and vision.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now