MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The mind and eyes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mind and eyes
I've done some experimenting in the last days and I found out that I've done everything horribly wrong for the past month when I started on the Bates Method.

So the story is this. I went to a movie and it was very long. I had to look at the distance for 2 hours and a half. I've tried using my "central fixation" but I just realised that all that I was doing was unnatural and caused bigger and bigger strain. I couldn't pay attention to the movie because my eyes hurt and I was thinking about them all the time! My eyes seemed to let go of the strain on their own at one point and then I've come across a new method of seeing: with the mind.

It seems that if I put all my mind and awareness on an image, the eyes shift on their own. No need to controll them. For the past month I have controlled my eyes, directing every possible movement. I was thinking more about my eyes than the actual images. I've done horribly wrong. This only caused pain in the right eye and nervous eye lids and even mental stress. Also I tried to shift conciously beetwen very small points fixing my awareness on only the points. I thought that this is called "central fixation". It doesen't seem to be the case.

So for the past few days I've tried to let go of my eyes, not thinking about them but thinking about the images. Not thinking even about the Bates Method, just keeping my mental attention on the images, no central fixation, no nothing. This resulted in minor vision improvement, no dryness, no pain in the right eye, no tense eye lids, no uncomfortable blinking. And also, a huge relief of everyday stress! Today I strained again and now I feel dryness in the right eye and tense eye lids again when I close my eyes.

Do you think that the eyes are automatically controlled by the brain? Before becoming myopic I would never think about my eyes, only about the images. This is what "stop controlling your eyes" means? Letting them shift on their own? This makes sense because the brain decides what to see and not the eyes.

Sorry if it is a stupid question and/or,topic, but I've read for 3 times the Central fixation chapter in the Bates book but still no answer for me. He really should have made it more easier to understand for the common folk of vision improvement because we all seem to come to a point when we apply the Bates Method horribly wrong. If somebody would explain the connection of mind and eyes I would be greatly grateful.

Another question: How can we relax when we see an object?

I know about central fixation, but it seems that I'm not applying it right. Something is wrong. I just look at small points of images fixing all my attention to that point, then switch to another point, then another one, all being consciously controlled and my eyes are controlled too. This seems unnatural to me and causes pain. There is something I'm doing wrong.
The best way to achieve central fixation is to stop thinking about the eyes. The only this is possible is when the eyes carry no strain, which happens when the mind is relaxed.

A few days ago, I saw a box in my house on which it is printed Videocon. Normally I see it only as a white haze from 10 feet. But a few days ago I could see these letters very clearly. I was completely unmindful that I was actually reading it and it felt natural. Afer a few seconds, it occurred to me that I was experiencing a clear flash and I grew excited because what I was seeing was unbelievable - the letters were crisp and even sharper than what my weaker glasses give me. The next moment, my vision went back to the white haze and I could not experience it ever since. I realized that you see best when you do not even think you see. Then how is it possible to see well when doing any exercises? Exercises are only to reinforce certain visual habits unconsciously performed by the healthy eye but the exercises by themselves cannot help you to see. Which is why a lot of people endup not getting results from Bates method.

Whatever way you adopt it should be realized that the only way to see well is to stop seeing, ie stop thinking that you are seeing but let the world come to your eyes. I learnt a good lesson and I am sure what I saw was atleast a 10/40 flash and this is something given that I normally see only 15/200 now and only 6/200 three months ago. The memory of the letters is still vivid in my mind and I think they might become more frequent if I stop thinking about my eyes.
One thing I really want to know is about the shifting. How can you not think about the eyes if you shift consciously? Is shifting supposed to be unconscious? And every time I look at small points of an object I feel pain my right eye. I am not doing it right. Please help.
Shifting is supposed to be automatic. If you can notice the 'universal swing' and the 'variable swing' that many have described here then you should find that you are no longer conscious of shifting. We are certainly conscious of our eyes during shifting exercise, but this has a definite objective - to swing the letters on the snellen. Though you cant do it by force, the more time you practice the more likely you are notice this swing and good vision. Dr.Bates gives a few practical ways in which you can try to swing the letters which you read in his book.

P.S - My vision is nowhere near where you can really notice the swing, so I cant really give you more info from my experiemce. I can visualize swing mentally though...However I can observe the swing on a period and on fineprint held within half a feet of my eyes.
I have never noticed the swing since I started the Bates method, but sometimes when my eyes are relaxed when I regard an object it seems to "pulsate" as Bates describes it. I'm really bad at central fixation and the swing. I think I'm going to read more about it, but I've already read about it in the book and clarknight's website.
I read here once that good vision is contagious. I've experienced this yesterday. I've seen a movie and the actor was having some small and very fast movements of his eye (I think they are called sacaddic movements) and the next moment my eyes were dancing all over the place. I've also analyzed a person with good vision and all the good habits were there: loads of blinking and very fast and small movements of the eyes.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now