MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Getting a reduced RX

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting a reduced RX
How do you guys go about getting a reduced rx...? It's the only that'll prevent me from doing NVI fully...
I just started wearing a pair of extra glasses my brother used to wear as his backup that I noticed were a weaker prescription than the current ones I was using. Before that I mostly wasted my time by not using a reduced prescription.

NVI= Natural Vision Improvement? Right
I see no reason to make up acronyms since your post was not long.
NVI is a pretty common acronym lol I think ppl use acronyms because its easier to type regardless how long the post is Tongue
Your optometrist might give you a weaker one if you request a pair for reading or for computer work. But from what I've heard they seldom will reduce it by very much, and often people find that even a "reduced" prescription in the exam room under stressful conditions can result in a prescription giving perfect clarity under any normal conditions.

But I'm not big on reduced prescriptions. I think if you're going to do it, you should do it right - no glasses, and lots of Bates practice. But that can have a big effect on people's functionality to see blurry for a while, and people's priorities differ in that department.

Indeed, NVI is a pretty common acronym among some internet groups - but I'm sure it can be annoying to people who haven't gotten exposed to it enough to know that, with all the other million acronyms out there!

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Buy glasses online.  I googled "glasses online" and at the top add was <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.39dollarglasses.com.&nbsp;">http://www.39dollarglasses.com.&nbsp;</a><!-- w --> You select the frames that you want, and then enter the prescription you want.
zennioptical.com is where I got my last 3 pairs. You can get them for around $25 including shipping. Only problem is you have to find an optician to adjust the frames for you.
Here is an interesting post from another message board as to how to reduce your prescription.  I recently ordered contacts at -4.25 as an 'emergency' since my sister broke her glasses and I knew the contacts would come in much faster than new glasses.  My prescription was -5.25 and -5.50, hers was -5.25 in both eyes (we're identical twins, everything is virtually identical for us, even our contacts)  Today I am wearing the contacts expecting to be working outside all day (in the Florida heat).  I have to drive a lot and identify soil types, so going blind is not practical.  Anyhow, I put the contacts in and can see perfectly.  I can read the 10/20 line on the eye chart.  Optometrists used to prescribe eyeglasses higher than contacts because vision is worse in them than contacts, but still, I'm seeing better than 20/20 with a reduced prescription of -4.25 when I was prescribed at -5.25.  I've been using bates method for several months now, and I would call this an improvement.
Oops, forgot the link.  Here it is :o

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.i-see.org/archive/reducing">http://www.i-see.org/archive/reducing</a><!-- m -->
cheletwin2 Wrote:Here is an interesting post from another message board as to how to reduce your prescription.  I recently ordered contacts at -4.25 as an 'emergency' since my sister broke her glasses and I knew the contacts would come in much faster than new glasses.  My prescription was -5.25 and -5.50, hers was -5.25 in both eyes (we're identical twins, everything is virtually identical for us, even our contacts)  Today I am wearing the contacts expecting to be working outside all day (in the Florida heat).  I have to drive a lot and identify soil types, so going blind is not practical.  Anyhow, I put the contacts in and can see perfectly.  I can read the 10/20 line on the eye chart.  Optometrists used to prescribe eyeglasses higher than contacts because vision is worse in them than contacts, but still, I'm seeing better than 20/20 with a reduced prescription of -4.25 when I was prescribed at -5.25.  I've been using bates method for several months now, and I would call this an improvement.
That's great!
But remember. Optometrists prescribe higher diopters to let your eyes not be strained to see better than 20\20. I had a "pacient" that had -3.5 and used -1.75 for a week and could see almost 20\20 (something like 20\30). After a week she had terible headaches.

I wrote it just to give you a point to be aware about. I'm a great fan of Bates and I see it really works, butthere are still some things people tend to do wrong sometimes.

Getting underprescribtion is important, but only if you see clear enough and without strain.

Good luck!
I ordered a reduced prescription from Zunni Optical.  Where my script is -5.0 and
-5.5, (LO and RO) I ordered -4.0.  When the glasses came in and I put them on, I could see just as well as before.  I could read the same line, only it was slightly difficult.  I plan on ordering the next step down, -3.0 soon.  I'm not sure how much of this I can attribute to the bates method since I don't do it very often or how much of it was that my glasses were over-prescribed.
I was over-prescribed by at least a full diopter myself.  I started at -8.5 and now I am at -6.5 and ready to get another reduction.  I attribute 1.0 D to over-prescription and 1.0 D to Bates.

How did you find the glasses from Zenni?  How do they fit?  Is the look what you expected? 
Quote:But remember. Optometrists prescribe higher diopters to let your eyes not be strained to see better than 20\20. I had a "pacient" that had -3.5 and used -1.75 for a week and could see almost 20\20 (something like 20\30). After a week she had terible headaches.
As for getting a headache with a reduced rpescription, it is the muscles of the eyes relaxing and learning to see again.  For example, if you had not used your right arm for years, then sudeenly started moving it, it would hurt, but no one would tell you to stop moving your arm because that was bad.  The would tell you how foolish you were for not moving your arm fo so long. same with the muscles of the eyes.  I was actually getting headaches from wearing my glasses, I couldn't wait to get home and take them off, I felt so relieved without my glasses, just couldnt' see anything.
And if optometrist prescribe higher strenght glasses so people with glasses don't have to straing to see 20/20, does that mean they prescribe glasses for people with 20/20 uncorrected vision?
yes, when I got my first pair of glasses I saw 20/20 perfectly.  I had no problems reading anything, and thought my eyesight was perfect.  We went in for an eye exam because it was free, and the optometrist gave me a minus lens that corrected me to BETTER THAN 20/10 (could see 20/10 line 20 feet away easily).  I wasn't aware of the dangers of wearing glasses back then.

Likewise, friend was able to see BETTER THAN 20/10 and they wanted to prescribe her glasses to correct her "astigmatism".  They are so full of shit.  I told her not to accept these glasses, and she agreed with me that she did not have any sort of visual abnormalities.

It works like this: they over-prescribe you to 20/10 or 20/5, your eyes will strain and blur will be produced.  In my opinion blur is a natural response to strain.  The blur will reduce eyesight to 20/20 to 20/40 with glasses.  You come back to your optometrist in a year and he says  your eyesight got worse, and prescribes you stronger lenses so you see 20/10 again.  Strain is produced and a year later you see 20/40 with them again. This cycle continues until get to -8 prescription, wondering why your eyesight degraded so quickly.

In other words, I feel my optometrist destroyed my eyesight, not me.  I would sue the shit out of him if the Bates method was accepted in our society.
Thats so fucked up.  My eye doctor, a year ago, told me that I was going to get glasses that can make me see 20/25.  I thought it was okay, since i didnt know about the side effects of over prescribed glasses.  I'm lucky I dont wear them a lot. 

I also asked him if there was a way to improve eyesight and he said no.  I told him that my cousin had glasses when he was little and didnt wear them.  His eyesight adjusted back to 20/20.  When the eye doctor left the room, I heard him whisper about it with a co-worker.  Eye doctors are trying to deny the fact that sight can be improved!
Dear Otter,

Subject:  The insults of the majority-opinion ODs.

You are right, Otter. 

These ODs think they are GODS in their office, that
they can "sharpen" your vision in five minutes
with a strong minus.

They think that is "science" and anyone who
argues with them must be crazy.

So I am certain this OD thought that your HOEST
QUESTION was insulting to this great doctor.

This is the value of this second-opinion site, to
help you understand Bates (who was FIRED because
he disagreed with the majority-opinion.)

Yes, vision-clearing is possible, but not with
these over-prescribing ODs.

Bates recommendation to "...throw away your
glasses" was well intended.

Enjoy,

Otis

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download