MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Giving it a go!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving it a go!
Hello! I'm new to this forum and to the Bates Method and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here because it's your encouraging posts that have inspired me to finally give this method a go. An especially big thank you goes to David for starting this site in the first place!

I first read about the Bates Method about a year ago when, like many people, I decided to search the internet to see if there was a way to improve my eyesight (I am myopic). Since that time I've read a lot about the Bates Method (including the original book, available for free here - thanks again!), abandoned my glasses and briefly tried out a few techniques here and there, However, although I learned about it, I haven't actually dedicated myself and given it a real go. I have just started a two week holiday from work and decided that now was the time to do so.

I started by printing out an eye chart of my own (which is now prominently displayed and used to practice) and have been thoroughly reading up about a technique a day and then practicing it since. I'm going in order of the methods described in the original book. I started with Central Fixation (am practicing all the time now), then Palming (was already doing this, but by re-reading Bates work and the posts here I increase my understanding about it) and today began with Memory. The technique-a-day approach is working for me, learning bit by bit makes it less daunting. Also it's helping me to gain a more thorough understanding of each method and it further highlights the links between them. I'm approaching this method with optimism, imagination and a sense of fun which makes it more rewarding and more free of stress.

I'll continue posting here from time to time as I move forward through this process!
Hi, Ghost and welcome to the forum! Good luck on ur task to succeed.
When ur learning the BAtes Method, u'll find that at first its hard to understand the method and any other exercises. But as u learn and experience more, you'll gradually develop more understanding of this.

this might help you as a beginner for when ur not doing exercises at home.-

Easy No-Routine Natural Eye Exercises Easy "Distant Vision" Strengthening Exercises:
- Focus your vision on a bird in flight
- Focus your vision on a moving ball or object at sporting events
- Practice juggling a ball
- Gaze at a moving car until it is out of sight
- Practice 'Distant Seeing'--"trace" distant objects, i.e., car, tree, house, letters, signs while in line at a store or waiting at a traffic light.
- Gaze as far as you can see into the horizon. or at the night stars.
- For relaxation: Look at nature's-trees, flowers, lakes, oceans, grass
- Gaze at the night moon. Look at the 'red' rising or setting Sun
Thank you, Harold. I've actually been doing some of those things already, just because they seemed 'right'. I certainly try watching birds in flight and practice looking into the distance. Also looking at things in nature is something I do too. Gazing up at the moon is something I'd thought about too - I'd even thought about sleeping outside for a night, relaxing under the stars, but the weather's been too bad lately! You're right about the Bates Method being difficult to understand, which is why I'm taking it slowly, learning properly about one thing at a time after having already been through it once so I have some idea what to expect!

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now