MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ?
Ok, I'm still dipping my toes in the water for natural vision/bates method before I get
fully committed to incorporate 'em to my daily habit.
One thing that I'm still missing and confused is using the snellen chart correctly for practicing bates method.
Need confirmation and more clear explanation.
I have the printed snellen chart already.The full versioN(?) of the chart, the one that measured from 20ft.
This weekend I will post it on the wall and mark the 20ft distance.

I'll just ask the obvious questions here:

1)How to use snellen chart for improving vision ( using dedicated practice of course) ?
Start from near(where I can see clearly using my bare eyes) to far(20ft) or vice versa?

2)How to use snellen for measuring vision progress?
planning to use a log book.
I believe of a saying, "whatever measured, improves".

Sorry for the stupid questions.
Dear Friend,
In Bates 1913 study -- he insisted that the kids read their Snellen.
The purpose was that they could confirm their "progress" by direct measurement.
Let me add that, since that time the Visual Acuity required to drive a
car was changed from 20/20 to 20/40 (with both eyes open). That
is the ablity to read 3/4 inch letters at 20 feet.
The Snellen is a "quality" marker for you. To pass the line you
must read (or guess) 1/2 the letters correctly.
There is no direct relationship between a "prescription" and
what you read on your Snellen. However, if you could, could
you post your current "prescription"?
If you can't read at 20 feet, you can move in to 10 feet and work
a that distance -- for starters.
Let us know what size letters you can read.
Best,
Otis
"Flashing" is an effective exercise to do with the chart. I see I didn't start a topic on Flashing in the Exercise Descriptions forum, so I'll start one now. Shifting is another exercise. Those are really the two main ones to do with the chart.

http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewforum.php?f=5

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I have a question too on this matter: is it really necessary to use one eye at a time or is it OK to use both at the same time? I finally printed a snellen in my room and I think I even got improvements!
Dear Mihia,

You should read the Snellen with both eyes open.

Here are the published requirements.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lowvisioncare.com/visionlaws.htm">http://www.lowvisioncare.com/visionlaws.htm</a><!-- m -->

The test generally states, with both eyes open, or 20/40 with
the better eye.

I would also suggest you take the Snellen outdoors and read
it in sunlight -- for starters.

Find the line you can read 1/2 the letters correctly. Then
post the results on i-blindness for us.

Best,

Otis
Thanks for the advice Otis! It's spelled Mihai btw, but no biggie!

The room I placed the Snellen on is not that big, the distance I normally read it is about 3 metres. I can see the 20/30 line at this distance in medium light. I've noticed that since I printed the Snellen in my room I have improved vision, or at least I think so. Subtitles on TV are crisp and they do not bother me like before (I used to strain a lot on the TV), when I go outside in very bright sun everything seems like before.

But I have little to no energy in my eyes because I haven't had a good night's sleep in 3-4 months. Really have to solve this insomnia problem. Tongue
Mihai_alexandru Wrote:.

But I have little to no energy in my eyes because I haven't had a good night's sleep in 3-4 months. Really have to solve this insomnia problem. Tongue

How many hours do you sleep every night? Do you keep awake all night? I am asking because I sleep only between 2 am to 6 am - only 4 hours and I dont get more time to sleep. I have seen that 4 hours is good enough for me and I dont feel tired at all. I try to make up by sleeping 12-14 hours per day on week ends. Nobody at home dares to wake me up before noon on week ends or they end up facing ny wrath. Smile
I've tried keeping a schedule to aid my cyrcadian rhytm for the last few days and I haven't had any problems falling asleep. The problem is that I can only maintain sleep 5,6 hours maximum. I go to sleep at 1 AM (not an early riser Smile ) and I plan to wake up at 11 AM, but it doesen't work. I always, always wake up at 6 or 7 in the morning feeling drowsy. Today I was fed up with it and couldn't fall back asleep, so I got out of bed at 8 AM, feeling very tired the whole morning of course. I don't know exactly what's wrong, I'm not seriously stressed out or anything when I go to sleep, but I'm not feeling the drowsiness that makes a person go to bed, no eye drooping, no nothing, just a vague sense of sleepiness and a few ocassional yawns.

When my sleep was normal I only went to bed when I was feeling really tired, but now I could stay awake untill 5 or 6 in the morning. I've even tried staying awake untill then and the normal drowsiness occured then, I coudln't help but fall asleep! But now I have to fight to fall asleep... my cyrcadian rhytm is probably messed up.

P.S. Has anyone ever had some strong impulse sensation in their eyes? I got this in my right eye a few minutes ago, it happens ocassionally to me. Short and strong impulses in the eye.
Otis, sorry for the late reply.
Anyway, finally snellen chart on my wall.
I have 2 downloaded from:
i-see.org.
The Alex Eulenberg's 1-page snellen and Joel Schneider's 3-page.
Currently I hang the 1st page of Joel's.

My vision is about 3/200. That's bad ...
From 20 ft I can't read any letters from snellen chart ,lol.
So, where should I start?
I found a old big c eyechart.
See small copy on www.cleareyesight.info navagation page 15.
I am uploading the large chart in 4 pages.
Does anyone know if this is the chart that Dr. Bates refers to when mentioning the big C on the top of the eyechart in his Better eyesight Magazines?
Dear Clark,

Subject: The big " C " Chart (Snellen)

This was also called the big " E " chart. The goal of these charts is to
establish your visual acuity -- by determining which line you
can read 1/2 the letters correctly.

Thus the important issue is not the letter at the top of the chart, but
rather, the size of the letters at 20 feet.

If you use any of these Visual Acuity charts, you should check the
20/60 line. This must be 1 inch letters at 20 feet.

If this line is correct (by your measurements) the all the other lines
will be the correct size.

It is this format and size that Dr. Bates used to confirm his
success during the 1913 study of myopia prevention.

Best,

Otis
clarknight, yes, that's pretty much the chart he's referring to, or enough like it that it wouldn't make a difference. Charts are standardized as far as the size and font of letters. But ones you get online may be a little off (or a lot off), and you're not going to see homemade ones as well at a distance due to the quality of paper and ink.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Thank you.
I did notice that the charts I found online do not print the correct size and the Big C chart I scanned into computer (correct letter sizes) prints the true size in Microsoft digital image but not in other software.
Adobe, my pictures ... prints out incorrect size.
Is there a way to change size in Adobe reader?
I placed one Adobe and two different word charts on the website.

I have become so used to working with the computer and printer, that I forgot, that the charts can be printed incorrect, then enlarged, reduced on a zoom copier and colored in darker with a black marker if needed.
I will try otis' measurement on the copier.
Thanks for all your help with my web site.
I learn things here I was not taught in the vision Improvement schools.
Dear Clark,

Subject: What is "reasonable standard" for Snellen?

My vision is now between 20/20 and 20/2 5 (Long story).

The essense of the Standard Snellen is that the width of the letter (black)
have the same "width" of the white. This is the so-called "block letter".

The 20/20 line is 3/8 inch high, and the 20/40 line is 3/4 inch high.

If your Snellen meets the above requirement -- then you have an
accurate chart.

I would also mention that 20/20 is more an "ideal". Most people have
20/40 or better, with a large percentage at 20/30.

If you aim for a goal -- I would think that would be a success -- if
you get their.

Best,

Otis
Thanks.
Otis; What is the name of your book.

I have 20/20, sometimes 20/5, sometimes to 20/30 if diet off, straining eyes staring at computer 10 hours.
Snellen helps but I dont spend alot of time on it.
I do it for fun, relaxation, to enjoy that great clarity, self control of mind, body, eyes that Bates method brings.

When get vision to 20/20 and better with Bates method, occasional fluxuations are few, short and vision returns to 20/20 and better.
Once Bates method gets into the brain, visual system, everything works normally and vision remains clear, dont need to practice.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now