MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New!
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website and the Bate's method. For starters I am 14 years old(15 in 4 days) and I started to have bad eyesight since about three years ago. I just started really noticing problems with my eyes when I was at school and everyone could see the board/tv screen from the very back of the room and I could barely see it in the first or second seat. My vision up close is fine I can see near perfectly but the further away an object/text is, the harder it is to see. I am assuming my long periods of time on the computer and playing games on the TV have made it worse. I have never wore glasses or contacts for two reasons. 1) I don't wear glasses because most people at my school think glasses are lame and everyone wears contacts. 2 ) I don't wear contacts because I've read many stories of people going blind because of contact solution and I have a large fear of going blind.

Now that I got all that out of the way I was wandering what are some methods that will hopefully improve my distant eyesight. I was reading through the book but I think I'm too impatient to be able to read through it all :-\. Right now on the back of my eyes I'm feeling a strain/pressure, I don't know if that will help to figure out what can possibly cure me.

Of course I've been getting my hopes extremely high off this book. I read reviews on other websites saying their vision was almost perfectly clear in a week, while on others I read this method doesn't work. But this seems to be my only chance to fix my eyesight besides contacts, lasers, glasses, and things of that nature.

Thank you for your time. Sorry that I am impatient but is there any links to the actual exercises that I can read over and review?

Thanks again!  Big Grin
Think about it. If trad. eye care is so safe, why do eyes go bad after a new RX. It'll work as long as you give the time and dedication along with realistic goals. Improvements can happen instantly but 20/20, depending on your condition, won't come overnight.

Good luck
Hi Sittingduck,

I've considered compiling detailed instructions for all the Bates exercises I know of. But it's got to be done carefully. Many people think what's best for them is a quick list of exercises, and I don't want to cater to that concept. So if or when I do make such a list, I'd need to write so much to make a book of it, and there are already lots of books written by people more eloquent and knowledgeable than me. A few free ones are here:
http://www.iblindness.org/books/

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I wanted to add that you should stay positive as you learn about these things! Sometimes it can be difficult for people to improve their vision, sometimes it is easy. It is probably better to not have expectations one way or the other about how you'll progress, but be patient and wait to see how you uniquely respond. I'm sure plenty of people give up because they don't really understand the process. People here will be willing to answer specific questions you may have as best as they are able.

The tension you wrote about is a good sign, it means you are aware of your eye tension, at least to some degree. Fundamentally, that muscle tension is what causes your vision problems. Many people who've had myopia (can't see far away) and have worn glasses/contacts/etc. aren't aware of their eye tension. You're also in a good position because you've only had myopia for a few years - using your eyes correctly will probably be easier for you to remember than someone who's worn glasses for 30 years.

To help you understand the "exercises", don't think of them as exercises. They are nothing more than ways to get your mind to use your eyes properly. Palming (relaxation), swinging/shifting (eliminating the staring habit), etc. They aren't exercises in the sense of building up deficient muscles. You have myopia because you use your eyes improperly.

Some other books might help you understand better. The <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.batesmethodstore.com">http://www.batesmethodstore.com</a><!-- w --> has some excellent books, and I specifically recommend Quackenbush's "Relearning To See" book.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download