MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
pinhole glasses and other questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pinhole glasses and other questions
Hi,

I ordered the pinhole glasses from ebay..... wanted to ask whether these are useful?
I ordered them because I need something to keep seeing "normally" but without the normal glasses. At -6 I can hardly read anything. So it is a bit impractical for me to "throw away" the glasses. Even for driving for the time being I need something that can give me good vision. Then if I'll manage to get some improvement I will start reducing their use as much as possible. What do you think about this?

Another question is about the Bates books.. should I start from that book?

Is there a program I can follow. For example doing 30 minutes a day and 5 minutes doing an exercise then palming etc etc?
Btw my eyesight is a bit severe like about -6 ... can I have improvement on that?
I get a bit confused since there are lots of information about these exercises on how to do them that gets me confused.

I read here as well that some exercises won't work for some while for others it would..

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Pinholes are better than eyeglasses and better than squinting, straining without eyeglasses but they block alot of natural light from getting into the eyes, almost like sunglasses.
The eyes need light.
Pinholes also prevent perfect, natural shifting, central fixation, normal eye function.
The eyes need to function without any form of eyeglasses, artificial devices that act like crutches in order to return to normal function and clear vision.
Use pinholes only in a emergency to read a medicine bottle, sign in the distance.
At least they dont strain the eyes as much as eyeglasses.
thanks for the reply.....

I do a lot of computer work.... I read it is good for computer work etc.. can use it instead of normal eyeglasses for computer work or even watching tv?
At least start from somewhere.

There's something else as well........ I'm sending emails about certain sellers claiming they alone can improve the sight (pinhole glasses)..
sorry but I get a bit confused on what to believe...

Something else what I'll remove the glasses and bring closer the monitor?
Gosh man the monitor is almost touching my lips. IS that bad? I mean will I strain my eyes more if I bring the computer near to me? or some damage not related to the eyes?

what do you think?
Thanks!
You can never do more harm by not wearing glasses with the resulting strain than the strain that exists when glasses are worn.
It's never dangerous to your health to discard glasses, only ever beneficial. Unless you drive an aeroplane and can't see so you end up with a devastating crash killing yourself and many passengers ;D So if you need to bring the monitor really close, then that is still way better for your eyes than glasses.
I am not sure if pinhole glasses are a legal substitue for prescription glasses on the road, as the block much of the peripheral view. And not to mention that they need to correct min. 20/40, so they are probably not suitable. The best solution is just to not drive at all. It will be difficult, impractical in our modern life, but as you slowly recover your vision, get those flashes of perfect sight, you'll see that it's all worthwhile, just an internim difficulty that will give way to great things!

Whether pinhole glasses would actually help you that much depends. Have you recieved them yet? The pinhole effect is able to compensate for some refractive error but there is a point where it won't. To check you can make a small hole and look through it and see if things get clear? If they do help, then they are totally much much better than prescription glasses and you should wear them for work and T.V, if going without any correction is unthinkable. Although you might look a bit weird wearing them, in the home or work.

The sellers you told about in the mails advocating pinhole glasses as a cure of imperfect sight are either fraudsters or just very misguided. The only true way is rest of the eyemind, discovered by Dr. Bates. Smile Same with the people advocating plus lens (Otis, Leung etc.). No form of refractive correction can truly be the cure, is the thing to remember.

yes the Original Bates book is where it's all at. You can read it on this site or get it from amazon etc. but one way or the other just make sure you read and understand it.
If a program is what you're looking for, then you wouldn't find it in any of the Bates literature. Bates purposely doesn't tell about any one routine that is the cure for everyone, because he knew from his own practice that every individual is different and must find their own way after learning the basic principles. If you find people selling 'exercise programs' then they are usually fraudsters (e.g. Vision for life).

Quote:I read here as well that some exercises won't work for some while for others it would..

Well, all 'exercises' will work for everyone if you do them properly. The only difference is that some people have more difficulty in demonstrating some thing or other than another person. You have to read the case histories in the magazines to see what I am talking about. But for example, if you were able to imagine a perfectly black period, you would also have perfect sight at this moment. But to become able to do this may take months or years of practicing the rest methods. When you are cured from imperfect sight, all the exercises will work because you can demonstrate them.
Hello Kazakage

I only drive for a couple of minutes a day and some more in the weekend. The problem is that I can't just stop driving and can't quit my job.
On the road I can't use pinholes ... but what about for computers and TV? I already tried it the pinhole effect and it works. However would this teach my eye to see things in a different way, perhaps for the worse. You know letting in less light to your eyes perhaps is not good. My english is bad .. sorry.
What do you think?

Ok I will try to bring the monitor as close as possible. I'm really bad. Yesterday the monitor almost touched my mouth.. seriously. Is that bad? About 10 inches away.

I'm glad to hear that at least someone with the lens glasses still had improvements.
Sure, it's bad as hell if you need to bring the monitor so close that it's touching your mouth, but isn't that all the more motivation for you to get better Big Grin
Of course pinhole glasses are an unnatural thing, but if we have to decide between what's more unnatural out of that and normal glaasses, then pinhole is far less so. You are right that they shut out light, and they will never teach you to have perfect sight because the strain that caused blurry vision would be palliated, and they probably do all other sort of bad stuff to you that you don't know. But since it's very hard for you to see, pinhole glasses is OK , 'the lesser evil' ;D

It's impossible to practice with Bates at the same time you are wearing pinholes, because you wouldn't have applied the methods of the normal eye. So whenever you practicing the stuff, (which should be always, ideally) take them off. Use them very sparingly like clarknight said. since TV is just a leisure activity, not something necessary for money or life, I wouldn't use them for tv even .

And, The most important thing is to discard your refractive corrective lenses. I could tell you stuff and try to 'make the situation easier' for you like some the other posters here: 'use reduced lenses', 'use glasses ONLY when necessary', but I don't want to kid you around because I know that's BS. The blunt thing to say is to stop driving, no other solution.
I will limit the use of pinholes, that's for sure....

The monitor distance that I can bring around is about 15 inches or so. Ok not kissing the monitor. But at 15 inches I just manage to see and understand (not perfectly).

Kalazge.. so how bad was your vision in terms of diopters?
Sit at a distance where you can comfortably read, even if that means you are almost touching the screen with your eyes. Don't force yourself to a long distance away just to 'train up' your eyes because this might strain, I think.

My vision was about -3, I am still not cured unfortunately ;( but getting better each day. Night and darkness is the most adverse condition for me.
I am bit confused on this because I read on the web that the monitor should be away 15 inches minimum. But at 15 inch I wouldn't read anything.
Probably its rays causing harm? I don't know.

I would like to hear from someone who removed the glasses for computer work and what did exactly do!!
Thanks!
Well, don't believe everything you read on the web (including my own posts) lol
There's no harm in sitting close to the screen. OK, you might hurt your spine or something if you bend over.. but there is no reason it should damage eyesight.
Remember , possible harm (if any??) in sitting close to the screen, and comparing that to the damage that you get from wearing glasses, there is no comparison.
Glasses are thousand times worse Big Grin
The recommendations you find on the internet relating to 'visual hygiene' are usually very loosely connected to anything, and most things don't have any statistics to back up with. It is best to ignore them, and learn the actual facts by reading the bates literature , then demonstrating what he says. People say it's bad to read in a moving vehicle, people say don't look out the side of the window, people say don't read in candlelight, people are cautious against reading too much fineprint, worst of all people are SCARED OF THE LIGHT. it's all unfounded and contrary to facts.
It's worth trying after all.

It's painful how all these years I could have improved my eyesight. Unfortunately this kind of information can be found only on the web. I would gladly pay for Bathes teachers but it isn't possible as where I live these things are still alien.

Ok let's say I'll remove the glasses.. what will be the next steps. I will use pinhole glasses to watch TV for a short period of time.
I tried reading the Bathes book but I find it hard to understand (either my english is not good)..

Summarizing Bathes methods.?
yes, it's painful for all of us toknow that we could have prevented or cured our imperfect sight at an earlier date..
but don't think that this information can only be found 'on the web'. It can't be found anywhere. learn from a person with perfect sight. there's lots of them. Wink
well, you don't need bates teachers WinkThe next steps after you discard glasses permanently is to practice rest methods, see if you can get some flashes. then make the flashes permanent.
what's your native language? maybe you could find a translation of the 1920 book.
anyway, it seems to me your english is very good ;D can you ask what specifically you didn't understand?
also, it's very natural not to understand . spend time reading the book over, and demonstrate !

to summarize bates methods :
- rest your vision
-dont try to see (well, same as above isnt it)
I'm Maltese... (I'm supposed to be good at English . but anyway Tongue)

.... resting the vision - palming? sunning? what else?
... don't try to see = things that with the current eyesight can't be seen just don't try to see or focus?

Thanks for your time! btw!
don't try and see anything ever. we do not see, things are seen (my favorite quote).
it's kind of tedious to explain to you all every single method of resting the vision... please read the book ;D
anyway there are only 'fundamentals' , the method is some independantly adaptable
don't try and see anything ever. we do not see, things are seen (my favorite quote).

.... what do you mean by this exactly?

I'll read the book... slowly but inexorably hehe.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now