MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Help on palming - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Help on palming - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Help on palming (/showthread.php?tid=1141)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Help on palming - Blue eyes - 05-27-2009

Hi blauw

I find it difficult to classifying my visual Actuity. Its probably around 20/80 to 20/100. However if I do a 30 min session on the Snellen in the morning then I like to get to see some clear images of 20/40 line which I sometimes achieve. At times I get stuck a few lines before it and then I palm and find that it helps.

I recently got a book from another forum The Secret of Perfect Vision where he talks about ocular muscle stretching. His theory makes a lot of sense and since starting that training I can now really see the power of centalization and sketching. Now with my reduced glasses or even without glasses my eye muscles are getting stronger as now when I focus on an object or line, gradually it becomes clearer or I feel the tension in my eyes as they relax.

The down side of the streching is that it affects the visual Actuity in the short term. However I have been doimg yoga for years to I know the true value of streching so its something that I will definatley continue with for a while.

Certainly the muscle streching has affected my vision and I like to see it as an additional step to Bates method. But who knows.... I am new to all this and am trying different techniques and see where they lead to. I have only been doing this for about two months.

Best regards
Mike

Re: Help on palming - blauw - 05-27-2009

Blue eyes Wrote:Hi blauw

I find it difficult to classifying my visual Actuity. Its probably around 20/80 to 20/100. However if I do a 30 min session on the Snellen in the morning then I like to get to see some clear images of 20/40 line which I sometimes achieve. At times I get stuck a few lines before it and then I palm and find that it helps.

I recently got a book from another forum The Secret of Perfect Vision where he talks about ocular muscle stretching. His theory makes a lot of sense and since starting that training I can now really see the power of centalization and sketching. Now with my reduced glasses or even without glasses my eye muscles are getting stronger as now when I focus on an object or line, gradually it becomes clearer or I feel the tension in my eyes as they relax.

The down side of the streching is that it affects the visual Actuity in the short term. However I have been doimg yoga for years to I know the true value of streching so its something that I will definatley continue with for a while.

Certainly the muscle streching has affected my vision and I like to see it as an additional step to Bates method. But who knows.... I am new to all this and am trying different techniques and see where they lead to. I have only been doing this for about two months.

Best regards
Mike

Do you mean David De Angelis book? I've looked at that book online. The Retinal Defocus and CRB hit home with me. He also practiced the Bates Method and the Plus Method.

He went from 20/200 and now he is 20/20 I think.

Good luck to all,
blauw

Re: Help on palming - FlowerPower - 05-27-2009

I am also having problems with palming, can't relax enough, I belong to those restless. At first I got frustrated, but I admitted to myself that I strain while palming and stopped palming. (I was seeing gray when closed eyes, and when I look after 5-10 mins palming first I see nothing, then stars blur like when TV doesn't have reception. I started noticng my strain, pulling the eyes up, and I also had my eyebrows always pulled up high. Although I could fell muscles are relaxing, sinuses opening, I got easier breathing.) Later I read in Meier Schenider book people who do not allow themselves to relax, and I recognised myself. He has some examples meditations to help. But, mainly you go and do some other exercises. The ones that I find most useful are shifting, swings long and short (just turn head from side to side) and I enjoy 3D stereograms whenever I can. And most surelly the chart is to be worked on which I do not have time for.
But anyway I see progress, I may be around 20/70, but I can see stronger colours, shinings...
In my opninion our eyes, when we have bad vision need to be freed (no strain, that's where palming comes) to move more to catch more light rays. Please everyone, feel free to corect me as I am still just learning, but that's how I understand the vision function.
Good luck!

Re: Help on palming - Blue eyes - 05-28-2009

Hi blauw

Yes its the David De Angelis book that I have got. The big change since reading it is that I am now doing the ocular stretching exercises which basically rotating your eyes as far as you can. In fact for me the eyes feel sore afterwards which is a kinda sign that something is happening to them. Certainly after doing he exercises the clear flashes increase.

I would say that the book is quite a heavy read as he has aimed it at the ophthalmologists rather the ordinary people. He has however included a FAQ section that clears up many questions.

I have been wearing glasses for around 30 years and my eyes are quite bad (-5.5 and -4.5). The problem with Bates for me is that its a passive approach and takes much time. With David's approach the active stretch should initially increases my eye mobility which is a step Bates missed out. Its my improved eye mobility that I think is making my eyes sore but I know that its what they need to happen for them to see better.

I recommend the book.

Thanks
Mike

Re: Help on palming - Nancy - 05-28-2009

Just to offer a differing viewpoint, I was sorry I spent the money on David DeAngelis's book. I was lured by the fact that he cured his own nearsightedness, & it took me almost half the book to find out that he was only about -2 ! I think he buried this fact because it would have kept him from selling as many books. Since I wore -10 hard contacts for decades, I didn't think he was going to teach me much once I found this out. My second objection is that I totally accept the Bates theory that my eyes & visual system are strained. So the last thing I needed was a vigorous workout, another place to strain! He initially seemed like he was claiming to go beyond Bates, then seemed to back-pedal & give Bates all kinds of credit for his work.

All that said, I'm glad David DeAngelis found a method which worked for him. I supposed it's possible he didn't need relaxation as much as I do, though I doubt it. I'll stick with Bates, with all his research & documented cases of success.

Re: Help on palming - blauw - 05-28-2009

Nancy Wrote:Just to offer a differing viewpoint, I was sorry I spent the money on David DeAngelis's book. I was lured by the fact that he cured his own nearsightedness, & it took me almost half the book to find out that he was only about -2 ! I think he buried this fact because it would have kept him from selling as many books. Since I wore -10 hard contacts for decades, I didn't think he was going to teach me much once I found this out. My second objection is that I totally accept the Bates theory that my eyes & visual system are strained. So the last thing I needed was a vigorous workout, another place to strain! He initially seemed like he was claiming to go beyond Bates, then seemed to back-pedal & give Bates all kinds of credit for his work.

All that said, I'm glad David DeAngelis found a method which worked for him. I supposed it's possible he didn't need relaxation as much as I do, though I doubt it. I'll stick with Bates, with all his research & documented cases of success.

Hi Nancy,

What would -10 be on a Snellen?

-2 sounds about right for 20/200.

Would -10 be 20/800?

Sounds like you've come along ways from -10 to your 20/50 - 20/70 range.

Good luck to all,
blauw

Re: Help on palming - blauw - 05-28-2009

FlowerPower Wrote:I am also having problems with palming, can't relax enough, I belong to those restless. At first I got frustrated, but I admitted to myself that I strain while palming and stopped palming. (I was seeing gray when closed eyes, and when I look after 5-10 mins palming first I see nothing, then stars blur like when TV doesn't have reception. I started noticng my strain, pulling the eyes up, and I also had my eyebrows always pulled up high. Although I could fell muscles are relaxing, sinuses opening, I got easier breathing.) Later I read in Meier Schenider book people who do not allow themselves to relax, and I recognised myself. He has some examples meditations to help. But, mainly you go and do some other exercises. The ones that I find most useful are shifting, swings long and short (just turn head from side to side) and I enjoy 3D stereograms whenever I can. And most surelly the chart is to be worked on which I do not have time for.
But anyway I see progress, I may be around 20/70, but I can see stronger colours, shinings...
In my opninion our eyes, when we have bad vision need to be freed (no strain, that's where palming comes) to move more to catch more light rays. Please everyone, feel free to corect me as I am still just learning, but that's how I understand the vision function.
Good luck!

are you trying to imagine a clear distance scene? You should actually try to imagine a clear near scene. That way you can relax.

Also try to feel your feet when you palm. As it has been said on this forum that healing energy comes from the feet.

Good luck to you FlowerPower!
blauw

Re: Help on palming - blauw - 06-09-2009

Nancy Wrote:Just to offer a differing viewpoint, I was sorry I spent the money on David DeAngelis's book. I was lured by the fact that he cured his own nearsightedness, & it took me almost half the book to find out that he was only about -2 ! I think he buried this fact because it would have kept him from selling as many books. Since I wore -10 hard contacts for decades, I didn't think he was going to teach me much once I found this out. My second objection is that I totally accept the Bates theory that my eyes & visual system are strained. So the last thing I needed was a vigorous workout, another place to strain! He initially seemed like he was claiming to go beyond Bates, then seemed to back-pedal & give Bates all kinds of credit for his work.

Perhaps if this vigorous workout is done the eyes have to relax because the extra-ocular muscles are relaxed? Just like when you workout your muscles relax?

I'm still going to keep practicing the Bates Method, but I am willing to try other things like these.

The diagrams in David De Angelis books are interesting. Especially the whole myopic/hyperopic defocus things.

Good luck to all,
blauw

Re: Help on palming - Blue eyes - 06-16-2009

Hi blauw

I agree with you that the David De Angelis approach of retinal defocus really resonates with me as this is all about wearing reduced prescription or plus lenses which got me into the book.

Sticking to Bates religiously makes the mistake of relaxing a nearly atrophied muscle with little strength and flexibility which is the reason why most people fail.

"No rehabilitation therapist would ever think of healing a chronically immobilized and atrophied muscle by relaxing it".

Of course I have to be careful to say something like that on a Bates web site Smile

Just to clarify. I have been doing yoga for years and there are many people that swear by it. Yoga is all about stretching. This is the opposite of a Gym workout which is all about tensing.

Do not confuse the strain in your eyes due to tension of wearing glasses for many years with the soreness felt when restoring atrophied muscles that have not worked for many years in the ocular stretching exercises.

Anyway good luck in whatever approach you take.

Thanks
Mike

Re: Help on palming - Nancy - 06-16-2009

Mike,
I disagree, & this is my beef with the DeAngelis book. A clenched fist is not "atrophied". This is the way I see chronically tense eye muscles, straining all the time, even in sleep. Maybe the mind atrophies as it stops looking for more natural solutions than eyeglasses.

I'm not trying to start an argument, or convince anyone who doesn't already agree with me. I just wanted to present a balanced viewpoint.