MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... (/showthread.php?tid=1158)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - blauw - 05-21-2009

Thanks everyone for your insight on the palming and rubbing your hands together thing.

When I palm I sometimes visualize an energy stream traveling through my forehead, eyes from my hands. I also visualize it zapping the eye muscles to relax.

I am also going to consistently do the Long Swing more to make my eyes realize the Short Swing (which improves vision). Sorrisi pointed that out to me.

Good luck to all,
blauw

Re: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - Nancy - 05-21-2009

Well, it looks like we have different views on this one. I thought I remembered Meir Schneider in My Life & Vision writing about rubbing your hands together before palming, & I seem to remember Leo Angart teaches this too. Clark, thanks for the "shorting out" comment which I never heard of. Esther, hello -- I still miss your sunny smile!

Re: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - blauw - 05-21-2009

Is it okay to put your hands together at the tip of your nose area and then do the long swing using your hands as sort of a guide so that your eyes don't constantly lock on to anything in the room?

I tried this and it worked..... I got tons of clear flashes from it, which I am still getting from it.

Will this be something helpful until I can train my eyes to stop locking?

I'll try and make a picture of what I mean.

Good luck to all,
blauw

Re: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - clarknight - 06-17-2009

I see some teachers doing this.
If its helping you, thats good. Just avoid tension:
I find that my arms, shoulders, neck, head muscles get tense, fatique from holding the hands up and this leads to eye muscle tension, headaches. It also intereferes with the complete relaxation, freedom of sycronized whole body movement the Long Swing provides.
Also: The Long Swing teaches you to use the eyes, body correct, moving together, seeing oppositional movement.
We dont normally move around with the hands up in front of the nose.

I think this originated with Bates Variable?? Swing where; the person places the finger in front of the eyes (not nose) and moves the head side to side and sees oppositional movement of the finger. This does improve vision.
This is done for a short time. No long time of holding the finger, arm up. A cord hanging in a open window can be used in place of the finger.

Re: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - Nancy - 06-17-2009

Clark, I agree with you that holding the arms up would cause fatigue & detract from the goal of relaxation. Blauw, the way you talked about putting the hands together at the tip of the nose reminded me of Tom Quackenbush's vision halo, to aid in keeping your attention where you're looking (central fixation), but I'm not sure if you'd want to combine this with swinging. (You bend a wire to fit around your head with an end hanging down in front of your nose -- you can find this in his book.) I saw a Meir Schneider video several years ago where he held an arm outstretched with the finger up & focused on it when he did the Long Swing. He had a variation of this where he did the swing down to the floor on the left, then back up to vertical as he swung to the right, for a few rotations, & then reversed this. This seemed way too complicated to me -- the original Long Swing is nice & simple & gentle & relaxing. It wouldn't be relaxing if you fell over!

Blauw, don't get too hung up on a single technique being "the answer". If it's relaxing to you, it's helping. If you're straining when you're doing it, it's not helping.

Re: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - blauw - 06-17-2009

Nancy Wrote:Clark, I agree with you that holding the arms up would cause fatigue & detract from the goal of relaxation. Blauw, the way you talked about putting the hands together at the tip of the nose reminded me of Tom Quackenbush's vision halo, to aid in keeping your attention where you're looking (central fixation), but I'm not sure if you'd want to combine this with swinging. (You bend a wire to fit around your head with an end hanging down in front of your nose -- you can find this in his book.) I saw a Meir Schneider video several years ago where he held an arm outstretched with the finger up & focused on it when he did the Long Swing. He had a variation of this where he did the swing down to the floor on the left, then back up to vertical as he swung to the right, for a few rotations, & then reversed this. This seemed way too complicated to me -- the original Long Swing is nice & simple & gentle & relaxing. It wouldn't be relaxing if you fell over!

Blauw, don't get too hung up on a single technique being "the answer". If it's relaxing to you, it's helping. If you're straining when you're doing it, it's not helping.

I've mainly been doing the long swing with out my finger....

I've been practicing the Prayer Swing on Seeing.org and once you are relaxed you can definitely feel the oppositional movement of your hands in front of you face.

The prayer swing is done sitting.

Right now I've been palming a lot lately. I've finally gotten my eyes of my mind so I am making better improvement. I think if I forget about my eyes I will get better results.

I am now able to read from farther distances. I can relax when palming almost under 3 minutes now.

One time I was lying down and for some reason I felt like I was palming but I wasn't.... It was a very relaxing feeling but once I realized it left.... (LOL gotta stop realizing these things). Anyone got any idea on what that is? A high relaxation level Alpha or whichever its name is?

Blauw

Re: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - Nancy - 06-18-2009

Blauw, I remember reading in one of the vision books about "imaginary palming" where if you're in a public place & don't want to be seen looking like you're sobbing or having a nervous breakdown by palming, you can imagine you're doing so. It will help some but probably not as much as using your hands. It sounds like you fell into this naturally. It might even have been Bates who wrote about this, but I'm not sure. Again (I know I sound like a broken record) if it's relaxing to you, it's helping.

Re: Question - would the Bates Method work for someone with.... - blauw - 06-18-2009

Nancy Wrote:Blauw, I remember reading in one of the vision books about "imaginary palming" where if you're in a public place & don't want to be seen looking like you're sobbing or having a nervous breakdown by palming, you can imagine you're doing so. It will help some but probably not as much as using your hands. It sounds like you fell into this naturally. It might even have been Bates who wrote about this, but I'm not sure. Again (I know I sound like a broken record) if it's relaxing to you, it's helping.

It was an odd experience.... I'll try it again... well if I can.

I really don't care what people think when I am palming in public. If they ask well just tell him I've got a headache or something.....

Thanks,
blauw