MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introduce yourself here! (/showthread.php?tid=18)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Introduce yourself here! - Ned Lud - 11-28-2005

Hi~
I'm a farmer and anti-social, and I guess there are a lot of reasons for that. And yet still I would love to socialize with someone who I felt had a keen interest in me. I have quite poor unaided vision (myopic and astigmatic), though I never wear glasses--I've always hated them! I've known about the Bates method for years, but............have never had any success (other than momentarily, I guess, a few seconds) with it. Is there anyone out there, who's had success, and who would take some interest in me at a personal level? Any suggestions where I might find such a person? Thanks, this is a very good site.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - lemielke - 12-10-2005

Dave K Wrote:That's funny you say that. There's a great book by Jacques Lusseyran called "And there was light." It's an autobiography of a guy involved as a leader in the French Resistance, but really it's about being blind, and how wonderful his blindness became. It unlocked his psychic abilities, although I don't think he ever used the word psychic once, or any other word like that. He just described what he experienced, and the mental state it required,  and it turns out to be good advice for anyone suffering from vision problems.

Dave

Mayhap I shall find that book [hoping it's in the nearest library]. Often, I'm looking for a good & interesting book to read - -and one with a mixture of history and mental state?  To me, seems interesting. Just that my dad understands more than ... [I already wrote along those lines]. My closest friends are all glasses wearers. Some other friends aren't, but they aren't really close either.

~Louise~

Re: Introduce yourself here! - chris hansen - 12-14-2005

Hello everyone,

I've been wearing glasses most of my life and I hate them. I recently read the book by Tom Quakenbush and am also reading other material I found on the subject. I'm glad this forum is here because I always seem to have little questions about things and there is no one to ask. I've looked for a Bates teacher but could not find one in my area (St. Paul, Minnesota).

Re: Introduce yourself here! - David - 12-14-2005

chris hansen Wrote:Hello everyone,

I've been wearing glasses most of my life and I hate them. I recently read the book by Tom Quakenbush and am also reading other material I found on the subject. I'm glad this forum is here because I always seem to have little questions about things and there is no one to ask. I've looked for a Bates teacher but could not find one in my area (St. Paul, Minnesota).

Welcome, Chris. Well, fire away when you have questions. Maybe me or someone else here can help.

Dave

Re: Introduce yourself here! - dragon28 - 01-10-2006

Hi,

I am Ely, I'm 17 from Israel (yeah, from far far away).

I had glasses when I was 6 (L eye: +0.75 , R eye: +1.25). I was told that my right eye is even weaker. When I was 7 I didn't needed them anymore, but even the optolmologist told it wouldn't last for longer than 6 years. When I was 13 I started noticing that my right eye is getting weaker and weaker. In that year I had an argument with one of my friends and I called her "blind bat", and I was blind myself too... I didn't want her to see me with glasses so I started looking for a natural way to improve my eyesight, that way I found an e-book of the Bates' method and starting practicing.

My eyesight was: L eye: 20\20
                        R eye: 40\20 +0.5 and cyl: +0.5

After 2 or 3 months: L eye: 17\20 better than 20\20.
                              R eye: 20\20
Now:  L eye: 10 (or 12)\20
          R eye: 20\20

Re: Introduce yourself here! - David - 01-10-2006

Hi dragon20,

Ah, that's not too bad. You could be in a pretty good position to help others if you stay interested in it.

Dave

Re: Introduce yourself here! - Eugenio - 01-12-2006

Hi everyone!

I'm Eugenio from México.

I had glasses imposed at age 7 for myopia and astigmatism. My left eye was weaker than the right one. I remember that my eyes sometimes went 'out of control' and moved like they had life of their own for short periods or time. I didn't like wearing glases so whenever my parent's weren't looking I took them off. I changed my glasses 4 times by the time I was 15, each time with a greater graduation. By this time me parents forced me to use them from sunrise to bedtime. Also, I just couldn't open my eyes whenever I was outside in the sun. I had my glasses tinted just like sun glasses.

One day I was looking for my glasses in the bookshelf and by some divine coincidence I noticed a very old, yellowing book... 'Better Eyesight Without Glasses' by Harold Peppard. I read it started the exercises the same day. It was really hard form me to lean to relax but I did it. I'm now 16 and have practiced the exercises daily, when I wake up, after lunch and before bed since than day, despite my familiy's skepticism.

It's been about a year and a half but it has paid off. I can use the computer without feeling strained, I can read the smallest fineprint easily, I can look directly to the sun without an discomfort... It's been a blessing. I will take a vision test and get my old records of my first glasses sometime shortly.

My Dad was diagnosed with cataract, myopia and astigmatism just two days ago... He is now reading the book and I'll help him with the exercises. Although He's still a bit skeptical.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - dragon28 - 01-13-2006

Eugenio Wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm Eugenio from México.

I had glasses imposed at age 7 for myopia and astigmatism. My left eye was weaker than the right one. I remember that my eyes sometimes went 'out of control' and moved like they had life of their own for short periods or time. I didn't like wearing glases so whenever my parent's weren't looking I took them off. I changed my glasses 4 times by the time I was 15, each time with a greater graduation. By this time me parents forced me to use them from sunrise to bedtime. Also, I just couldn't open my eyes whenever I was outside in the sun. I had my glasses tinted just like sun glasses.

One day I was looking for my glasses in the bookshelf and by some divine coincidence I noticed a very old, yellowing book... 'Better Eyesight Without Glasses' by Harold Peppard. I read it started the exercises the same day. It was really hard form me to lean to relax but I did it. I'm now 16 and have practiced the exercises daily, when I wake up, after lunch and before bed since than day, despite my familiy's skepticism.

It's been about a year and a half but it has paid off. I can use the computer without feeling strained, I can read the smallest fineprint easily, I can look directly to the sun without an discomfort... It's been a blessing. I will take a vision test and get my old records of my first glasses sometime shortly.

My Dad was diagnosed with cataract, myopia and astigmatism just two days ago... He is now reading the book and I'll help him with the exercises. Although He's still a bit skeptical.

Hi,

It's nice to see more stories of success.
What dioptries do you have?
and what is your sight sharpness (it calls preception if I am not mistaken)?

Re: Introduce yourself here! - js519 - 02-03-2006

Hello all. I'm new here as well.

I'm Joe, I live in the US. I've worn glasses for myopia for five years, since I was 10. During the most recent prescription, which was a bit more than a year ago, the optometrist also said I had astigmatism. For the record, my prescription is as such:

Right 3.75 diopters, 1.5 cyl, +180 deg
Left 3.25 diopters, 1.0 cyl, +180 deg

I was used to life with my glasses. Sure, it did disturb me that I can't see very well without them, but I made do with my glasses. Then, about five months ago, I came upon this site by chance. It wasn't long before I abandoned my glasses altogether. I'm still in school and occasionally (maybe once a month) must wear a pair (The strength on these is about 2.5 diopters for each eye, IIRC) to see far things, but I usually manage by moving closer to said faraway object.

Many of my friends are skeptical... one, who happens to be my one of closest friends, has been particularly outspoken in his opinion that I have no chance and should give up. I have no hard feelings towards him normally, I am still very close to him, but I know that as I do this task, I am fighting him, and all that side with him... Most of my friends don't know what has "brainwashed me", as the aforementioned person has said. A few do, and they believe in me, just as I believe that this method can work for me. It stands to reason that if Bates was wrong, if he was lying... then millions of people around the world are lying with him. That cannot be true.

After a bit of lurking on these forums, I've decided to get an account here, to talk with others who have various eye defects like me.

First off, perhaps I have a few questions. Should I do eye exercises often? It seems a few people here have done it. However, I am of the lazy type and it's hard to convince myself to go do them. Next, can someone explain to me the concepts of the shift and the swing? I kind of don't get it...

Re: Introduce yourself here! - dragon28 - 02-04-2006

js519 Wrote:Hello all. I'm new here as well.

I'm Joe, I live in the US. I've worn glasses for myopia for five years, since I was 10. During the most recent prescription, which was a bit more than a year ago, the optometrist also said I had astigmatism. For the record, my prescription is as such:

Right 3.75 diopters, 1.5 cyl, +180 deg
Left 3.25 diopters, 1.0 cyl, +180 deg

I was used to life with my glasses. Sure, it did disturb me that I can't see very well without them, but I made do with my glasses. Then, about five months ago, I came upon this site by chance. It wasn't long before I abandoned my glasses altogether. I'm still in school and occasionally (maybe once a month) must wear a pair (The strength on these is about 2.5 diopters for each eye, IIRC) to see far things, but I usually manage by moving closer to said faraway object.

Many of my friends are skeptical... one, who happens to be my one of closest friends, has been particularly outspoken in his opinion that I have no chance and should give up. I have no hard feelings towards him normally, I am still very close to him, but I know that as I do this task, I am fighting him, and all that side with him... Most of my friends don't know what has "brainwashed me", as the aforementioned person has said. A few do, and they believe in me, just as I believe that this method can work for me. It stands to reason that if Bates was wrong, if he was lying... then millions of people around the world are lying with him. That cannot be true.

After a bit of lurking on these forums, I've decided to get an account here, to talk with others who have various eye defects like me.

First off, perhaps I have a few questions. Should I do eye exercises often? It seems a few people here have done it. However, I am of the lazy type and it's hard to convince myself to go do them. Next, can someone explain to me the concepts of the shift and the swing? I kind of don't get it...

Hi,
I was lazy too, most of the ppl. are lazy when it comes to hard work without a motive. If you have a real motive you should be motivated in your work. It seems, from what you write here, you don't have a real motive. If you do, you should work.
First of all, never start exercising too much with accommodation and staring at far objects, because your eyes are not used to see while being relaxed. In the beginning is very hard to see while your eyes are relaxed and it comes to automatic effort and strain.
Second, try to start with more relaxation and less gymnastic excesses.
Third, try to breath freely from your nose only (and maybe do some breathing excesses from YOGA or REI-KI or TAI-CHI), and keep your Spain straight. Your food should include all the nutrient elements (you can even be vegetarian).

I can't help you much with swinging and shifting because I didn't get what didn't you get...sorry.

If you can manage without glasses at school it is very good. Can you work with the computer without glasses and reed from 30-40 cm?
Why are you friends skeptical about the method?

Re: Introduce yourself here! - Anna - 02-04-2006

Hi, sorry I started to post without introducing myself.

I'm from France and 27 years old. I don't know my exact prescription, since it's almost 18 years I last saw the optometrist. It's about -3 right and -2.75 left, I think, with some cyl. I got my first glasses 20 years ago when I entered school. They were -1 and -0.75 then. I never wore them, because it felt funny and I got along well without. One year later I broke them (we played, and as I kept them in my pocket, I fell on them...). My parents got me back to the optometrist to get knew ones. He measured, and got the prescription 2 diopters worse. He asked me if I wore my old glasses regularly, and as I answered honestly with no, he said that was the reason my eyes worsened like that in one year. When I put the new glasses on for the first time, I felt rather ill, and everything seemed to spin around me as in a merry-go-round. The optometrist said that wasn't unusual and not to worry, I would get used to them if I wore them all the time. He even threatened my eyes would get worse if I didn't (a classic, isn't it?). I got kind of used to them after some weeks. So since then, I wore my glasses from waking till going to bed. I remember well the fear to brake my glasses again, as I associated breaking my glasses with getting stronger ones. The next time I broke them, I totally freaked out and cried, so my mother went alone to the optometrist to get new ones with the same prescription. I avoided new tests all the following years, and stayed with the same prescription until today.
Now some months ago, I noticed I had problems to read signs farther away. First, I ignored that. Then, as it became more obvious, I looked desperately for alternatives to seeing an optometrist again. Seems like my childhood fear came back ;-) So I ended up finding this site.
(Sorry, I got carried away in my memories.)
Please bear with me.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - David - 02-13-2006

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum, and of course anyone else I haven't welcomed specifically.

In answer to your inquiry, I'll start a new thread now explaining what the shift and swing are about.

Dave

Re: Introduce yourself here! - lucyann - 03-03-2006

Hi! I'm very glad to have found you all. My name is Lucy Ann, and I've been stumbling around the internet looking for help and advice on the Bates method. Basically, my story is this: I've been very badly short-sighted since the age of eight, and it's been getting worse and worse as the years go by. It's made me quite depressed over time, and sort of scared.

Anyway, I've read Bates and wanted very much to try it out. I know it's going to take persistence. I left my job recently, partly because it was computer based and involved a lot of staring at the screen. It wasn't doing my eyesight any good. Anyway, now that I have a lot of time on my hands I'm going to be devoting myself to Bates-type exercises and I hope that with determination I'm going to seriously improve my eyesight.

I've started up a blog where I'll record my experiences, partly for my own benefit, so that I can measure progress, and partly just to let other people know what works and what doesn't. Do visit and contribute: girlcansee.blogspot.com. But anyway  this forum's great. Will be reading it attentively.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - David - 03-03-2006

Wow, that "focus" image you have on the top of the page is incredible! It confuses my eyes every time I look at it, but in a nice way! I might just print that out and hang it up. Where did you get it?

Welcome, good to have you here!

Dave

lucyann Wrote:Hi! I'm very glad to have found you all. My name is Lucy Ann, and I've been stumbling around the internet looking for help and advice on the Bates method. Basically, my story is this: I've been very badly short-sighted since the age of eight, and it's been getting worse and worse as the years go by. It's made me quite depressed over time, and sort of scared.

Anyway, I've read Bates and wanted very much to try it out. I know it's going to take persistence. I left my job recently, partly because it was computer based and involved a lot of staring at the screen. It wasn't doing my eyesight any good. Anyway, now that I have a lot of time on my hands I'm going to be devoting myself to Bates-type exercises and I hope that with determination I'm going to seriously improve my eyesight.

I've started up a blog where I'll record my experiences, partly for my own benefit, so that I can measure progress, and partly just to let other people know what works and what doesn't. Do visit and contribute: girlcansee.blogspot.com. But anyway  this forum's great. Will be reading it attentively.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - lucyann - 03-05-2006

I know, I feel exactly the same about that image. I downloaded it from somewhere ages ago but can't remember where (maybe found it on Flickr). Anyway, please use it . .. It cheers me up somehow.