MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introduce yourself here! (/showthread.php?tid=18)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Introduce yourself here! - missmuffet - 12-19-2006

Thanks for all the advice. Big Grin

Thanks for the web links too.

I will be doing an awful lot of research over the christmas holiday by the look of it.
At the moment it's hard to get my head round it all, but I'm sure that the more I read the more sense it will all make. But one thing I am sure of is that Stuart won't be jumping into those glasses now I understand what his level was. Wink

Re: Introduce yourself here! - bkowalski - 12-20-2006

The "How to Begin" link on this site is great, and one book that I would recommend for parents is "How to Improve Your Child's Eyesight Naturally: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide" by Janet Goodrich.  It is available on amazon for less than $20 USD.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - David - 12-20-2006

missmuffet,

I've split your last post into a new topic:

More on using an eye chart
http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.php/topic,334.0.html

Dave

Re: Introduce yourself here! - cheletwin2 - 12-21-2006

My vision is -5.25.  I decided to start working on correction my vision when my son was born, he is now 8 months old.  I had been doing some research and learning that children learn from observing their parents, I don't want my son to learn to strain the way I do.  Also, with such a young baby, it is important that I see what he is sticking in his mouth before he chokes and other important information.  So, when I lose my glasses, I am scared of what I can't see, I try to use my son as a trigger, reminding me to relax.

My biggest problem is that I drive 30-miles each way to work, sit at the computer all day, then drive home, cook dinner, and clean.  I can't function without my glasses, I can't even see my computer screen at the largest settings, even if I use the handicap settings.  I can't tell where the eye chart is at when standing 20-feet away, much less identfiy the big C.

I plan on purchasing the pinhole glasses and a lower prescription eye glasses as soon as I can, but money is always tight.  I am hoping the situation will improve with the new my.  My New Years Goal is to improve my vision.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - otis - 12-21-2006

Dear Friend,

You can obtain some low-cost minus glasses from
zennioptical.com for about $10 -- if you have
little money.

Just take your current prescription and subtract
2 diopters -- and use for reading and computer.

And be prepared to help you son with
prevention when the time comes.

Best,

Otis

Re: Introduce yourself here! - AJcrew - 12-24-2006

Hey folks, new to the board and site after googling "Bates Method", and glad to be here!  I've just ordered "Relearning to See" from amazon and will begin to read the ebooks from this site in the coming days. 

I've noticed, after going through some of these threads, is that most of the people who've seen improvement started with diopters of "only" -/+ 4.0 or less.  I have measurments of -7.25 and -7.75 spherical and -1.0 cylindrical for both eyes; pretty bad. It's probably far-fetched to say that I can improve to the point that glasses will not be necessary. 

My concern is that I will be applying for a commission in the US Army about 13 months from now and you must not have a spherical diopter measurement exceeding -/+ 8.0.  It may, or may not be likely that my spherical diopter measurements will exceed that in 13 months time so my hope is that the Bates method will help me improve slightly(perhaps to -7.0 or better) ensuring that I don't go over minus or plus 8.0 spherical diopters.  In the meantime I'll be reading more on this method.  Any input is appreciated and all of you have a great holiday!

Re: Introduce yourself here! - otis - 12-24-2006

Dear Friend,

Since one eye is at -7.75 diopters you are very close to the limt of -8 diopters.

Whether your vision goes "down" further depends on how you
are using your eyes.

If doing a large amount of reading or computer work, I would
suggest going to a weaker minus lens.

If your correction is for 20/20 or better, then you can
"cut" the -7 diopters by about 2 diopters, and use them
for all reading and close work.

You can get these low-cost minus lenses from
zenniopical.com for $10 to $20.

They should help your eyes to STOP adjusting to
that long-term near environment.

Best,

Otis

Re: Introduce yourself here! - impulse3d - 01-10-2007

Hi everyone,

My name is Noah, I'm a 19-year-old student studying mechanical engineering at Cornell University.

My vision at the moment is -3.00R, -3.50L.  I'm willing to try as hard as I can to get this improved as much as possible---ideally 20/20.  I'm hoping to improve my vision so that I can pass the vision tests to become a US Navy Pilot.  If the Bates method helps me improve my vision this much, I would become a tremendous advocate and help almost everyone I can to improve their vision with this method.  I can see why Dave decided to start iblindness---being able to see again seems like such a remarkable thing!

I came across the Bates method when looking to alternatives to surgery for eye improvement.  I came across one of those obvious spam websites where the page scrolls down almost infinitely, there is a tremendous overuse of bold, italics, and font size changes, and where it just seems like one of those lame TV $19.95 "BUT WAIT!  CALL NOW..." offers.  After some Googling, I landed on this site's guestbook, and after some quick navigation realized that this site wasn't just another dumb advertisement. 

I'm hoping to improve my vision to at least DMV standards by the time I finish college (from the look of it, this sounds like it is a realistic goal) and soon after go back to 20/20.  I've been wearing glasses for almost ten years.

To start, I'm abandoning my minus lenses as much as possible except for driving (my naked vision isn't good enough for that).  I'm trying to follow Ridley's advice of placing a small emphasis on palming and trying to work more with swinging.  I'll be sure to check back regularly to ask questions, communicate, and share any progress!

Re: Introduce yourself here! - otis - 01-10-2007

Dear Noah,

I am an engineer also.

I learned of the Bates methods when I was
14.  I got INCREDIBLE opposition from my
ophthalmologist on the subject of
second opinion methods.

It was so bad I stopped, after all, he
was the "expert".

Eventually you learn that this kind of bias
is very destructive.  The various preventive
methods may, or may not work.  You will
never know until you try them.

About -3 diopters:  There is a profound tendency
to over prescribe that minus.  The first thing
you must do is to read a Snellen light.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

Then just click on "Display" and see what you can read.

A -3 diopter "prescription" will translate to approximately]
70 x 3, or 20/210 vision.  I hope you are better than this.
Reading (or guessing) 1/2 the letters passes the line.
Get someone to press "Display" for you.

Engineers like to know the FACTS, and this
is the first fact you must establish -- whatever
preventive method you choose.

David has been very kind to develop this
information exchange site, and this is the "Bates Method"
section. 

I would suggest going to the heading "Other Methods"
and read about the fortitude it takes to clear
your vision to pass the DMV level tests.

As an engineer, I see the situation as an
engineering problem -- to be understood
and solved that way.

Good luck, and keep on reading and posting.

Best,

Otis

Otis,

Wow!  Indoors on the monitor Snellen, I was able to read enough of the Snellen to clear my vision to 20/100, and even read one letter of 20/80.  Since I read somewhere on here that it's best to do it outdoors in sunlight, I did.  After printing a Snellen and learning how to read one based on distance away and letter size, I brought it outside and read all of a line that indicated 20/60.  Last time I went for an eye check-up, I was told my vision was a horrendous 20/300.  Now I know to take the OD's advice with a bit of skepticism.  Even knowing my vision isn't as screwy as I thought gives me a push of motivation.

I've been wearing minus lenses for ten years, so I'm surprised my vision isn't much worse.  I have to consider myself fortunate.  Do you think weak plus lenses are appropriate for close work, or is the naked eye fine?  Since I'm borderline 20/70, what steps do you advise me to take?  A million thanks to you, Dave, and everyone helping each other on this site.

Noah

Dear Noah,

Subject:  Starting point -- for either Bates or plus.

These second-opinion methods are about EMPOWERMENT of
you to take, of get control of your distant vision. 

I am very pleased you checked.  Clearly you are over-prescribed
by about -2 diopters.  Some ODs simply do this as a
matter of course.  I also am surprised your vision is
not much worse because of it.

But the REAL issue is now to "do it youself".

Please understand that I support ALL METHODS that
are effective for you.  I do not "knock" any of these
methods.  I do support the plus -- obviously.

Please understand the DMV tests, which I take
to be FUNCTIONAL visual acuity.  Florida is 20/70,
and Georgia is 20/60.  Texas is 20/50.  Obviously
you do not want to STAY at these levels, but
it does indicate that you can avoid the minus,
and get a WEAKER minus from zennioptical.com
for $10.

Some more commentary:

I've been wearing minus lenses for ten years, so I'm surprised my vision isn't much worse.

Otis> Me too!

I have to consider myself fortunate.

Otis> I am amazed!

Do you think weak plus lenses are appropriate for close work, or is the naked eye fine? 

Otis> The plus is intended for only close work.  Optically,
the plus moves the object away from your face -- like
living outdoors.

Since I'm borderline 20/70, what steps do you advise me to take?

Otis> It would take about a -1 diopter lens to clear the 20/40 line
for you.  Thus I consider you over-prescribed by -2 diopters.

Otis> This -1 diopter status will "cut" the amount of plus
you can use, so you should try about a -1.25 diopters
(drug store) and see if you can read your monitor
through them.  Also DO BATES ALSO.   Please
accept that vision-clearing is a very slow process.

A million thanks to you, Dave, and everyone helping each other on this site.

Otis> Dave has a great heart to support this work.  As always,
keep posting and keep thinking.

Otis> Also, under this site, please go to, "Other Eyesight ...Methods",
and read my tribute to Francis Young, and his study
of Eskimos who, 1.  Lived outside, and then 2. moved
inside.  It is a real "eye opener".

Best,

Otis

I went out to the drugstore and bought a strong pair of +2.50 lenses for reading and a weaker +1.5 for computer work (I tend to read really closely).  Should I wear plus ONLY for close work, or should I wear them all the time?  (If necessary, I am more than willing to wear them at all times sans driving).  My vision is horrid with them on for distance, I feel seriously terrible that some people actually have this sort of natural vision.  If they manage to reverse it, that is one world of an accomplishment.

I read your material on plus lenses, and I'll try a combination of plus wearing and Bates method exercises.  I'll start a journal tonight and check back often to let everyone know how things are progressing.  Thanks!

Noah

Dear Noah,

I have to slow you down here.  I give "suggestions" on these
issues.  The fact that you are at 20/100 will prevent your
use of a strong plus.  (Save it for later.)

More commentary:

I went out to the drugstore and bought a strong pair of +2.50 lenses for reading and a weaker +1.5 for computer work (I tend to read really closely).  Should I wear plus ONLY for close work, or should I wear them all the time? 

Otis> There would be no sense to wear them all the time.  If you
can use the +1.5 diopter for reading.  Push the reading
material away until SLIGHT blur -- and read at that distance.
This takes some getting used to it.  Remember, you are
trying to "un-do" 5 years of wearing a -3 diopter lens -- and
that is not easy.

(If necessary, I am more than willing to wear them at all times sans driving). 

Otis> Yes, of course!

My vision is horrid with them on for distance, I feel seriously terrible that some people actually have this sort of natural vision. 

Otis> When you put a young child in a strong minus -- they
wind up with your -1.5 diopter vision, AND the +2.5 diopter
vision.  In fact, if you did NOTHING, you would wind up
like that 4 or 5 years from now.  THEN it is truly too late.

If they manage to reverse it, that is one world of an accomplishment.

Otis> Absolutely!  The people working on it on my site have
been able to "clear" from 20/140 to about 20/50 -- but
in about 4 to 5 months.  I think this is more difficult
than getting through a 5 year engineering course.

Otis>  It truly takes great personal resolve to do it -- from
your current -3 diopter status.  Be prepared!

Good luck,

Otis

Re: Introduce yourself here! - bill - 01-25-2007

Hello all.

I am new to the site and would like to introduce myself.  I am currently 28 years old and have worn glasses since I was 14.  Throughout high school I wore glasses pretty much all day since I have astigmatism and was “advised� to by the eye doctor.  Throughout college and graduate school I slowly weaned myself off glasses wearing them less and less.  I have not worn glasses for the last 3 years. I learned quickly that glasses were not really helping my vision but instead slowly degrading it. Although my vision is not bad ( I can pass a 20/40 eye test at the DMV although I believe my right eye may be slightly weaker than that)  I wish to keep my eyesight as is and if possible to improve it.  I have done some reading on the Bates method and have found this website to be extremely informative and the forum to be a good support network.  Since I am just learning about the Bates method I thought I would introduce myself and ask some questions to help me get started. 

1.) I am having a hard time fully letting go and accepting the Bates method.  I think a lot of this comes from my background since I am a college chemistry professor.  With my background in science I have always been skeptical of alternative methods.  Despite learning on my own that glasses caused more problems than they solved and seeing alternative practices work in other cases I’m having a hard time letting my very analytical brain give up that last little bit of doubt.  I know that in order to achieve results it will take hard work and diligence which are far easier when you have 100% belief  instead of only 98 or 99%.

2.)    On several days of the week I spend a large amount of time at work (over 12 hours).  As such I sometimes have issues finding ways/time at work in order to do any palming/ swinging/sunning etc.  Additionally  I am not yet a tenured faculty so I cant really do any palming etc at my desk/office because this might be construed as somewhat strange to an outsider like a student or even worse my department chair.  So what I was wondering is are there any techniques I can use while I am at work.  For example a screensaver for my computer that is consistent with the Bates method  and good vision practices.

3. At night I see halos around bright streetlights.  I have seen them for at least 5 years.  I have gone to the eye doctor because I know that this symptom can sometimes indicate glacouma/cataracts and other conditions but was told that I did not have any of these by the eye doctor.  Does anyone else here experience this?  If so has the Bates method helped to alleviate this condition? 

4. I have about an hour drive to work (sometimes when it is dark outside) and I noticed that I also have a generally higher stress level while I am driving. Which definitely means that if I am tense as a whole then I am sure that my eyes are also tense. What I was wondering is are there any techniques I can do SAFELY while driving to help relax my eyes.

Thank you for all your help and guidance.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - Minesweeper - 01-25-2007

Bill,

We're in the same boat when it comes down to using the analytical part of our brain, except that I have been thoroughly convinced myself that Bates Method does work and that the scientific method is incapable of giving an accurate assessment because it can't differentiate between the outcomes for placebo subjects and the experimental subjects in an RCCT if used on the Bates Method, since the results are prone to thought and emotions.

In school, I had no choice but to develop alternate approaches to my own education due to my deafness. For example, I cannot take my own notes due to having to pay attention to the interpreter; and when students take their own notes, they are able to put down only things they need to know, omitting information they already knew anyway. I had a notetaker who wrote down every tidbit of information, and I had to filter through all the information after class. As one can easily imagine, this required more study time for me. So I contacted a former HS friend who goes to Princeton, asking her for input on study methods and she gave me some good ideas.

I bought the book Learning Outside the Lines which was written by two Ivy League students who had learning disabilities and ADHD; it covered how they coped in classes when standard approaches to learning failed. It helped me understand how to make the most out of my education. Then I took the initiative to read books on communication, principled negotiation, cultures, history, world leaders, etc. using nearly all my free time. The study skills and sharpened thinking skills didn't hurt either.

Using this synergy of useful knowledge, I learned many things about cultural beliefs that disturbed me. Take for example, the Scientific Method. It has proven itself the greatest knowledge filter known to man, but millions of people consider it unassailable, because of things like the Double Blind method. The problem with the Scientific Method is that it fails to address the body as a separate entity from the mind and emotions. The body is a complex organism, and to quote an article I previously posted, "¨Thoughts and emotions can either create or destroy healthy tissue.¨ This concept would completely undermine any conclusive comparison between the outcomes for the ¨placebo¨ subjects and the experimental subjects in an RCCT."

This was based on a response to an article from the British Medical Journal (BMJ).

Since you find your scientific background a problem in believing in alternate methods, why don't you take a look at the response for yourself before disregarding it? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.php/topic,371.0.html">http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.p ... 371.0.html</a><!-- m --> .... Be sure to take your time reading the article, examining every sentence and asking yourself, does this make sense to me or not? Is it possible that my own belief in the Scientific Method as a way to measure anything is because of a cultural prejudice? What if it really isn't true?

To answer your other questions:

2) There are some useful Bates method computer programs at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com/downloads.shtml">http://www.central-fixation.com/downloads.shtml</a><!-- m -->

3) I experience halos from street lights all the time also. I felt that my improvements with the Bates method reduced the halos somewhat.

4) You'll have to learn to see "consciously" every time you blink, such as being able to notice the realism of an object without thinking while you blink. I know it may not make much sense at first but when you learn to do this, then you can apply it as often as you like while driving, by making your mind believe that the car in front of you is more "there".