MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introduce yourself here! (/showthread.php?tid=18)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Introduce yourself here! - Oleg K. - 01-25-2007

Bill,

1) Dr. Bates method is truly scientific, and the "elternative" reputation has been created by his so called disciples and commercial quacks. There is no need to change your analytical mindset and force yourself to get rid of your doubts. What you are dealing with is simply a wrong stereotype that can be easily dismissed after you read the original work of Dr. Bates, available here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/books/bates/">http://www.iblindness.org/books/bates/</a><!-- m -->. You'll see that the book contains a lot of scientific proofs that you were not aware of. It is very important to read the original Dr. Bates book, because many people read other misleading "like-Bates" books and just waste their time, like I did. And your doubts will go when you demonstrate to yourself the clear flashes and the way you obtain them.

2) The brilliance of Bates method is that the techniques are really effortless and you can do most of them all day long easily and funny. For example swinging and remembering black dot. And I don't believe any software will help.

3) I see halos around street lights too. I believe it is the same blur I see in day light, but it is more noticeable in the night. Many people including myself strain more when it is dark, so night blurring seems to be stronger. (There can be other kind of halos though, not like blur but like fog - this can be caused by other reasons, such as cornea inflammation, cataract etc.) Bates method cures many eye problems, including cataract and even inflammations which seem to be purely organic, not functional.

4) Many people report that they, in reverse, relax their eyes when they drive, because they have to move their eyes all the time. I guess you need to learn to relax your mind and perform all your activities in relaxed state.

Just read the book and you'll have answers to all your questions.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - bill - 01-26-2007

Oleg and Spock,

Thank you very much for your advice and guidance.  I have really come a long way from complete skeptic to a practicer of the Bates method.  Later on when I have some more time I will post about the scientific process I went through to convince myself as i think it might help others on how to approach the idea when they are just starting or thinking about starting.. 

Re: Introduce yourself here! - adie - 01-27-2007

Hello,

my life sucks since I had to wear glasses. I realised that something going wrong when I was 14yo. Now I'm 20 and since about 2 years I have to wear this damned glasses all the day. That pissing me of.

Bates method is my last hope. Sorry for my grammar but that's not my native language. I tried to find some pages about bates in my language but those was only bullshit.

I'm looking for some kind of clues and advices for trainning my eyes with bates method actually I'm looking for good day training rutin. I only now that palming, focusing and the table are most significant exercies.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - otis - 01-27-2007

Hi Adie,

If you have worn a minus for the last 6 years, your
prescription is probably a -2 to -3 diopters.

Your Snell en is probably about 20/100 to 20/200.

If you use Bates you should be able to clear
back to at least 20/40 and pass the driver license
test.

You will get a great deal of support to do
exactly that by Dave and this group.

Best,

Otis

Re: Introduce yourself here! - mavrick - 02-01-2007

hi everyone
i am vikram heard a lot about bates but couldnt really find a teacher around i started using the bates method couple of weeks back and the results are good i have got some stuff on the net which says string of pearls its fun to work with.
can any one help me with amblopia (dont really know whether i have that condition since i can see a test card clearly with lesnses on but its dimer than the good eye)
cheers

Re: Introduce yourself here! - otis - 02-01-2007

Dear Friend,

Even the "experts" tend to use the work "amblopia"
poorly.

I believe the following definition is correct.

If you can not clear the 20/20 line with a
lens (for instance the best you can do is
20/60 with a lens), then a child
is described as "amblyopic".

I would suggest checking this yourself
since you have a prescription lens
and a Snellen.

If you can read 20/20 through that
lens you are not "amblyopic", and
I would think you could use Bates
to clear that line with no glasses.

Just one man's opinion.

Best,

Otis

Re: Introduce yourself here! - David - 02-02-2007

Bates also wrote often about amblyopia in the Better Eyesight magazines and found it amenable to his methods.

Dave

Re: Introduce yourself here! - cherryredcutie - 02-11-2007

Dave Wrote:To help get discussions going, here's a thread for you to introduce yourself!

What do you hope to gain here? How did you find out about the Bates method?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and vision improvement Smile, my name is Anne and I am 27. I found out about the Bates method about 3 years ago, I was working in a very busy call centre and due to the stress my eyesight got worse and I thought "no, not again!". I've had progressive myopia when I was a kid and in my teens, when I got contacts with 16 my eyes slowed down getting worse until I was stable with -8.5 (with contacts) in both eyes when I was 22. I couldn't believe that my eyes should get worse again so I browsed through amazon to look at eyesight books and stumbled across the Bates Method. I ordered Relearning to See by T. Quackenbush and read about Vision Improvement for the first time.

I had to quit my job due to me not being able to handle the stress and had some time off and did some of the habits mentioned in the book and after a couple of months my eyesight got better until I could see clearly with my contacts again. I am since convinced that my eyes got worse sue to the stress. I didn't stick with the vision improvement at the time but got back to it now as I am reading the Better Eyesight magazines and am committed to give it another go and record my progress.

When I was younger I always wished I could see without glasses or contacts and I hope one day I will. I have done a lot of research about Natural Vision Improvement and I hope I can get some more insight through this forum.

Regards,
Anne

Re: Introduce yourself here! - Minesweeper - 02-15-2007

Welcome and sorry no one's posted until now. It's easier to speed up the process of vision improvement through interaction with others who have experienced improvements, so that you know what may work and not work for others.

I have both of Tom Q.'s books (Relearning to See, and Better Eyesight Magazines), and they were the ones that got me started on the Bates Method. Good starting books. Welcome, Anne.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - cherryredcutie - 02-19-2007

Thanks for the welcome, Spock Smile.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - silverlady - 04-29-2007

Hello,

I’m a new member and may well be the oldest person posting on this forum. Yes, my hair is definitely silver. I’m interested in the forum for support, encouragement, and suggestions.

I began wearing glasses in the 4th grade and wore corrective lenses for 50 years before setting them aside a year ago to embark upon natural vision improvement. My contact lenses were 7.25/7.0. I have astigmatism as well.

I’ve educated myself through reading books, including Dr. Bates’ book; through reading things on the web; and through signing up for a series of 8 sessions from a local vision improvement educator who trained under Dr. Janet Goodrich.

According to my supportive and curious optometrist, I improved my vision from 20/400 to 20/200 in the first six months. Measured objectively, my left eyeball is shorter than it was. I see better with my 6.0 contacts now than I did with my old prescription a year ago. (I only use these for driving and for a few special social occasions; I have 20/70 glasses for other times I need to see clearly.)

However, I have a long way to go and my rate of change seems to have slowed. I’m retired so time shouldn’t be a big issue, but I find it easy to lose my (pun intended) focus. I do try to stop frequently and relax my eyes by at least closing them until I feel a change. I palm and do acupressure most days. I’ve recently been better about swinging. I do other things such as edging or rotating my eyes as I think of it. I’ve resisted putting together a structured program, having spent much of my life being way too structured.

I’m curious what approaches you all have found to putting together a daily practice. Any suggestions?

silverlady aka Anne

PS A special hello to cherryredcutie, aka Anne from the UK. 

Re: Introduce yourself here! - cherryredcutie - 04-30-2007

Hello Silverlady,

and welcome to the forum Smile. Congratulations for making so much progress already, I'm sure you will be improving your vision further if you stick with it. I'm doing an EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) course for Vision Improvement at the moment, I just started so I dunno if it will work but it can't hurt to try it Smile.

Good luck!
Anne

Re: Introduce yourself here! - silverlady - 04-30-2007

Cherryredcutie,

Thanks for the encouragement, Anne. I was hoping you would see my post as I always feel connected to other Anne's.

Your Emotional Freedom Technique work sounds interesting. Maybe you can do a post when you are further along.

Meanwhile, do any of you out there have thoughts on my question of how to assemble the various Bates techniques into a daily practice?

SilverLady

Re: Introduce yourself here! - MKL - 05-01-2007

I started wearing glasses when I was in high school. At first I did not wear them all the time. My vision kept getting worse. I hated glasses so I tried contacts. I liked them at first, but at the end of the day my eyes would itch. I began to worry about my vision when on my last visit to the eye doctor I could not read any letters below the first line. he said my eyes were very healthy but I could expect them to get worse with age. I am only 31. I started reading about the bates method in Dec of 2006. It made since to me that I had poor vision habits and my eyes were strained. I quit wearing contacts in December. At first it was hard because I felt helpless without them. Now I get around just fine. I've had steady improvement in my vision. I don't have normal vision yet, but one day I hope to get there. I have not had my eyes tested since I started practicing the Bates Method. I joined this site to get encouragement and share ideas. It is also encouraging to hear success stories.

My last perscription for glasses was:

OD  -1.50  -0.75    100
OS  -1.50  -1.00    075

Re: Introduce yourself here! - apavel - 05-01-2007

Hello everyone,
I'd like to say I am very interested in the imagination & memory portion of the Bates method.
Not a lot of people use his ideas on imagination.  I think this is attributed to the fact that it's a very subjective topic, which makes it difficult to understand.
The idea is to imagine the perfect letter through the aid of memory, as you see the actual letter blurry.  You do not try to compare your imagined perfect black letter with the blurry gray letter because this practice always brings strain.  Once you generate a clear flash, you can use your memory of the clear black letter you saw during this flash to enhance further imagination.  When you gain some experience, you can turn this into a habit where you take the black period or letter wherever you go, and constantly keep it in mind.  This practice is very helpful in preventing strain buildup due to the fact that imagination of a black letters brings relaxation to the mind as well as your visual system.

I believe both memory and imagination techniques are extremely difficult to comprehend and perform.  Nonetheless, I think these techniques are very powerful and can lead to great results.  Despite the fact that palming helped many others, it hasn't done much for me.  Bates said it himself that perfect imagination or memory of a black letter or period is even more beneficial than palming, although it is often more difficult to do.

I hope that I can develop experience in these two techniques and in the near future write about my findings on this forum.
asdfdf.  I like has fish.  I like to jump
Hello, my nameis Paul
Best,
Paul

Paul