MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Introduce yourself here! - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introduce yourself here! (/showthread.php?tid=18)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Introduce yourself here! - cheryl - 05-25-2007

I accidentally ran across a link to this site from an on-line health newsletter and I'm interested in learning more about these methods. I am the only one in my office over 40 who doesn't have to have reading glasses - yet. My OD says "it's only a matter of time...." 

Bad distance vision is hereditary in my family - on my father's side all 12 grandchildren have vision problems. I began wearing glasses at the age of seven and hard contacts at age 11 (which was VERY young to do that 35+ years ago!) because the doctors thought it would slow down the progression of the bad vision.  I guess it worked - my prescription did not change for over 30 years - but it got better, not worse a few years ago. I don't understand the numbers very well but I can't see much past the big E on an eye chart. The last card I have (for backup glasses) says:
OD -375    -100      015
OS -450    -100      175

Althought I'd love to get rid of corrective lenses, I'm pretty resigned to having them now after all these years. What I WOULD like to do is avoid reading glasses if at all possible. Is it worth it for me to invest the time and effort in these exercises? Is it possible to correct vision as bad as mine or at least prevent the reading problems? If this is going to take a while, because I imagine that it will not be an ovenight thing, what do I do in the meantime?  I cannot function without lenses right now. Without contacts or glasses, I cannot safely drive, see the computer screen or even recognize people walking in the door at work - and I have to be able to do those things daily.  I can't take weeks or months off from work to accomplish this. I read a little on this site about getting reduced Rx lenses and I guess I could try that but I'm not sure how much to drop down nor how often to change them. Anybody have any experience with this?  Thanks-
Cheryl

Re: Introduce yourself here! - bkowalski - 05-25-2007

Cheryl, it is definitely possible.  I had lenses of -8.5 and have reduced that by 25% in 3 months.  Your eyes are -3.75 and -4.50 with an astigmatism.  Many of the experts in NVI like Janet Goodrich recommend transition lenses, so reading one of her books would be helpful.  She and others explain how to work with your optometrist to get them. 

Re: Introduce yourself here! - Pilot_51 - 06-08-2007

I don't remember exactly how I found out about the Bates Method, only that it was online. I got the book Relearning To See: Improving Your Eyesight-Naturally! by Thomas R. Quackenbush for Christmas of 2005 and my new years resolution for 2006 was to stop wearing my glasses which I was dependent on for about 8 years, and they've been stashed in a drawer ever since. The logical part of my resolution was to try the Bates Method, but that hasn't been so successful because of my difficulty in getting into the habit. I haven't noticed any improvement, but I do feel less strained with all the computer work I do compared to when I used glasses. Last I checked, a number of years ago, my vision was somewhere around 20/80, about the same as when I first got glasses. It's been difficult doing some things without glasses, especially outside the home, but I've been determined not to wear glasses again. I'm getting to the point where I need to drive, and I can't drive with my eyes in their current condition, so I'll either need to get new glasses or I'll need to get the Bates Method to work quickly in about a month or two.

I think what I need most is motivation and someone I can ask questions, to help me practice the Bates Method correctly and frequently. I couldn't find any teachers in my area (Macomb county, Michigan), so I guess online is the next best option, and the most convenient for me since I'm on the PC a lot. If anyone with experience wants to help me out, let me know and we can exchange IM info or however you want to do it. Nevertheless, it looks like this forum would be at least somewhat motivational and helpful, seeing how various people are at different stages of improvement.

Re: Introduce yourself here! - vobes - 06-14-2007

This is exctly the problem for me. I understand the logical arugment for getting rid of the glasses and not using them, but when you are as myopic as I am and everything is blurred beyond 6 inches, it gets very tiring reading with a book that close your your nose that close to the computer screena dn then lunging the head down to read the keyboard when typing. Cooking isn't as easy - checking whether the meat is cooked all the way through, especially if it is spitting at you.

I take my glasses off most of the time, but when it comes to the evenings when the light is dimmer and everything is even more blurred than be fore the frustration gets beyond a joke.

What can one do to avoid having to reply on glasses - to do without them for a year or however long this system takes is going to be impossible!

Vobes

Re: Introduce yourself here! - esthervdw - 06-14-2007

Hi Pilot51

Quote:I think what I need most is motivation and someone I can ask questions, to help me practice the Bates Method correctly and frequently. I couldn't find any teachers in my area (Macomb county, Michigan), so I guess online is the next best option, and the most convenient for me since I'm on the PC a lot. If anyone with experience wants to help me out, let me know and we can exchange IM info or however you want to do it.

If you like, it's possible to take an e-mail course on the Bates method.  I offer that on my website.  You can check out the info for it on <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.visionsofjoy.org/classes.htm.&nbsp;">http://www.visionsofjoy.org/classes.htm.&nbsp;</a><!-- w --> Although I travel a lot, it will take me a while to go teach everywhere...  ;D  so this 6 part course was created for students who are unable to come to my classes. 
The course will be tailored to your specific needs, based on answers you provide in a questionnaire that precedes the course.  After each lesson you are encouraged to ask any and all questions about the material presented, to help make sure that you understand the method thoroughly. 
The course is not free, but it is cheaper than a new pair of glasses! Smile  Just thought I'd let you know it's available.

Esther
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.visionsofjoy.org">http://www.visionsofjoy.org</a><!-- w -->

Re: Introduce yourself here! - guimans3 - 06-14-2007

Hi,

I've recently started researching the Bates Method after originally trying vision correction about 2 years ago, but not sticking to it.  I found this site and have read through quite a few threads, all of them helpful.

I've had strabismus (forgive me if I'm using the term incorrectly) in my left eye since I can remember.  I had surgery on this eye when I was very young, maybe 2 or 3.  I had glasses starting at age 5 until about two years ago (24), when I gave up wearing glasses and contacts.  While I was wearing glasses or contacts, the left eye would return to center.  As soon as I took them off/out, my left eye would float in.

I have a question regarding the inward movement of my left eye and relaxation.  When I am focusing my eyes on something, whether reading or looking at something/someone, my left eye floats in toward my nose, and I have decent vision (I can see pretty clearly, read most things except very small print, and see well enough to drive).  If I "relax" my eyes, my vision blurs but both eyes face straight ahead.  My strabismus disappears.  My question is, is this relaxed state what I should be looking to achieve, only without the blurred vision?  Should I let my eyes relax like this when I practice shifting and other practices?

I hope I made my situation clear enough for all of you, and please let me know if more information is needed.  Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Introduce yourself here! - David - 06-15-2007

After a year and a half, I'm going to retire this thread. New members, please start a new one to introduce yourself by clicking "New Topic" in the Bates Method forum.

David