MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
eagleguy's thousand questions - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
eagleguy's thousand questions - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: eagleguy's thousand questions (/showthread.php?tid=1986)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Person reads Snellen test card with teacher wearing glasses - eagleguy - 12-19-2011

"The method succeeded best when the teacher did not wear glasses. In fact, the effect upon the children of a teacher who wears glasses is so detrimental that no such person should be allowed to be a teacher, and since errors of refraction are curable, such a ruling would work no hardship on anyone. Not only do children imitate the visual habits of a teacher who wears glasses, but the nervous strain of which the defective sight is an expression produces in them a similar condition. In classes of the same grade, with the same lighting, the sight of children whose teachers did not wear glasses has always been found to be better than the sight of children whose teachers did wear them." (from Perfect Sight Without Glasses) What does Bates mean if you see someone wear glasses, it's worser for you to read the Snellen test card And if someone don't wear glasses, it's better for you to read the Snellen test card? I don't mean the person who is reading the Snellen test card is wearing glasses. I mean like if you are the person reading the Snellen test card without wearing glasses; when you are with a person who wears glasses; it's harder for you to practice eye relaxation. What does that mean? It doesn't make since because the person who's reading the Snellen test card isn't wearing glasses anyways...

Do crossed eyes get cured after wearing glasses for 2 years? - eagleguy - 12-19-2011

I had a friend who wore glasses from age 7 to age 9 and then his doctor said he didn't need glasses anymore because his crossed eyes are now cured, 20/20 vision. William Bates said that glasses worsens crossed eyes and can be treated by eye relaxation. One method he said was putting a pencil on top of the bridge of your nose and try to look at it. But my friend had it cured with glasses... I thought Bates said glasses worsens crossed eyes? Or how did the glasses cured my friend"s crossed eyes? Because I've heard some people did not get a cure by wearing glasses.

Curing myopia with the Snellen test card - eagleguy - 12-19-2011

To cure myopia and other error of refractions with the Snellen test card, are you suppose to stand at 20 feet and if you can only read the letters of 70 feet, you just keep reading it everyday till it improves? Or are you suppose to stand as close till you can see the letters of 20 feet at the bottom of the Snellen test card and keep reading till you improve and then you move back a little till you improve again?

Using the Snellen test card to cure myopia - eagleguy - 12-19-2011

"She had the patient stand close to the card, where, with the good eye covered, she was unable to see even the big C. Emily now held the card between the patient and the light, and moved it back and forth. At a distance of three or four feet this movement could be observed indistinctly by the patient. The card was then moved farther away, until the patient became able to see it move at ten feet and to see some of the larger letters indistinctly at a less distance. Finally; after six months, she became able to read the card with the bad eye as well as with the good one." (from Perfect Sight Without Glasses) What does she mean to put the card between the patient and the light and moved it back and forth?

Re: What is correspondence treatment? - Nancy - 12-19-2011

By mail, letters back and forth.

Re: Person reads Snellen test card with teacher wearing glas - Nancy - 12-19-2011

Kids can pick up on the habits of visual strain from their teachers (and parents!) and adopt them as their own.

Re: Mental Strain - Nancy - 12-19-2011

You can accomplish the same task with and without strain. Someone who likes the subject may see their math homework as fun, like an enjoyable puzzle! Your goal is no strain.

Re: Shifting and Swinging - Nancy - 12-19-2011

I'm not answering every question you asked, but this one is fundamental. You'd benefit a lot from getting a lesson or 2 with a Bates teacher to get you on the right path. Shifting is simply moving your gaze from point to point. When you do that, it will produce the illusion of movement of objects in the opposite direction to the way you're moving your gaze. That perceived movement is the swing. Look from the left to the right side of a big letter on the eye chart, and the letter seems to "swing" to the left.

Slow down --- you are trying to swallow the entire Bates Method in one gulp and improve your eyes instantly. Lifelong habits of using one's eyes and mind to look in an incorrect way can take a little while to turn around. Be gentle with yourself.

Re: What is photographic type reduction? - Nancy - 12-19-2011

Smaller print size (font). Remember the original Bates books were written before computers and the technology to do this easily.

Re: Do crossed eyes get cured after wearing glasses for 2 ye - Nancy - 12-19-2011

One thing that pervades all your posts is the misunderstanding that the Bates Method is a formula: do step 1 and 2, and result X will always happen. It's not like that. People and their vision are different. Glasses help some people progress, if they're a 20/40 correction and used with healthy looking habits, and for others who strain with them they make the vision worse. Similarly, some people benefit from palming (or the long swing, or using the eye chart), and some don't. You need to experiment with these methods to see what works for you -- the Bates Method is highly experiential, not a course of study limited to learning from textbooks.

Re: Curing myopia with the Snellen test card - Nancy - 12-19-2011

Vary your distances, and yes, move back as you feel more comfortable. Straining to see from too far away won't help (I did it for years and made little progress.) Start where you can see a few lines pretty well.

Re: Using the Snellen test card to cure myopia - Nancy - 12-19-2011

Say the patient is 10 feet from the window where the sun is coming in. Emily moves the card back and forth in front of the patient, say about 3 or 4 feet away from the patient. When the patient looks toward the window the patient can see the (closer) card a little, since it is between the patient and the light and the patient is looking toward the light.

Re: What is photographic type reduction? - FIAT2LUX - 12-19-2011

The font is significantly smaller than 1mm in height, and actually I rather enjoy reading as small as possible type with my iPod Touch 4g because at a pixel density of 300+ dpi, it allows for such tiny font to be read clearly online in safari, etc. AND it is quite enjoyable indeed reading such small font. One size I cannot read with my glasses, only without them it is so small! I think an advantage of being capable of reading these is that some of my clear flashes ghost the image and the real image is sharp and centered amongst them, yet extremely small also, and therefore being capable of reading those fonts allows me the ability of using the clear flash.

What are diopters? - eagleguy - 12-19-2011

All I've heard of it is the diopters are on the side of your eyes. But what are they? What do they do? What matters of the numbers of diopters you have?

Mind and Vision - eagleguy - 12-19-2011

"The subject was a child of ten with such marvelous eyesight that she could see the moons of Jupiter with the naked eye, a fact which was demonstrated by her drawing a diagram of these satellites which exactly corresponded to the diagrams made by persons who had used a telescope. Her memory was equally remarkable. She could recite the whole content of a book after reading it, as Lord Macaulay is said to have done, and she learned more Latin in a few days without a teacher than her sister, who had six diopters of myopia, had been able to do in several years." (from Perfect Sight Without Glasses)
So if you put a photo/picture in front of you; remember the photo/picture; put the photo/picture away; draw it PERFECTLY; take the photo/picture out; and check if it's perfect and if it is then you have perfect vision and memory?
Ok so my second question is that the girl with marvelous eyesight can learn the language Latin faster than her sister; why can she learn faster than her sister? What exactly gave her the ability to do that?