MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
eagleguy's thousand questions - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
eagleguy's thousand questions - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: eagleguy's thousand questions (/showthread.php?tid=1986)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I think the Bates method is a waste of time... - eagleguy - 12-20-2011

2 years ago, I've did the Bates method, palming, for months then I've quited because I've seen no results. 1 year ago I've started again and did it for about 3 months, then I've quited again due to no results. To be honest, I will try the Bates method for the next 4 years but if it doesn't work by the end, I will not do it again ever because in that time I will have better things to do. I think palming is a waste of time. I do it for an 45 minutes 3 times a day. I've just started the Bates method like 3 weeks ago and during that time I've also got done reading the book Perfect Sight Without Glasses. I still had no results and the book seemed so real which is what have gotten me to started again. But it feels so fake now how it still does not work for me. In those 45 minutes of waste, I could of done something better. Actually, if this was the US or some other country, they could have been using those 45 minutes to train the army which would be a better benefit to be more wealthy and stronger. I think I will save time and quit palming. Bates said many students cured their myopia by reading the Snellen test card for about 3 months. That seems fake but I'll give that method a try. I will only read it once a day to save my time. If you guys know something I don't know that's preventing me from getting results, it would be great if I can know of. I have never used a website like this before, and I only used it 3 days ago just to get a little help and give it a try, that's pretty much it. Also, have anyone here ever cured their eyesight besides the admins, mods, book sellers, Bates patients?

Re: I think the Bates method is a waste of time... - seetheleaves - 12-21-2011

It's my opinion that if you think the Bates Method is a waste of time then it won't work for you. To take it a step further: anything in life that someone feels is a waste of time is not a priority to them and therefore won't be pursued and therefore won't produce any result. I'm sorry to hear that you have given up so quickly and to answer your question about if anyone here has seen improvement with the Bates Method: absolutely! I can tell you personally that I've had a remarkable improvement in my eyesight - far more than I would ever have believed was possible at the beginning. And I'm still improving everyday. I no longer wear corrective lenses and I go through my days with complete confidence in my vision. But I have put in a great deal of time to changing my vision habits - it's important to me, it's a priority, and yes, all of that 'work' has paid off tremendously.

Re: Memory or imagination of black? - FIAT2LUX - 12-21-2011

I can kinda make my sight worse by voluntary strain which does significantly reduce my vision until released. Not sure if that answered your question though.

Re: Dr. Bates gets expelled for curing myopia? - clarknight - 12-21-2011

Read Dr. Bates Better Eyesight Magazines; its like his book but with many more treatments during 11 years in his clinic after he was expelled by those jealous, money hungry eye doctors. The magazines have answers to all the questions you asked.

Re: Does daydreaming cause mental strain? - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:Does daydreaming cause mental strain and worsened vision? I read about Bates saying if you are not focus and is unconscious, like daydreaming, it causes mental strain. An example I've heard to prevent mental strain of this was to juggle which improves your focus.

It depends on how you daydream.
If what you dream is aligned to the real world then there will be no problem,
else there becomes a conflict that causes strain in your eyes (two forces compete, real world and dream world, they must be aligned else the forces causes a conflict and thus strain).
If there is no alignment you better close your eyes and daydream, else it is ok to daydream.
Also, this requires of course natural visual habits.

Re: Vision under adverse conditions - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:What does Bates mean that not light but darkness is danger to eyes? How can the dark be danger to your eyes? William Bates said that reading in moving cars and lying down while reading is beneficial to eyes, but how? Bates also said vision under difficult conditions is good mental training. How is it good if it's uncomfortable which is like straining, right? I've always heard people saying reading in the car and lying down while reading gives you headaches and worsened vision.

He meant that the more difficult conditions the more the eyes are forced to relax (because they must adjust in order to stand such difficult conditions in the long run), but I guess he means people that still have quite good eyesight. If you have very poor eyesight on the other hand you will of course get worsened vision if you use your eyes under such difficult conditions, I mean the eyes then will get strained instead of relaxed.

Re: Complete cure by palming? - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:"A man of sixty-five who had been under treatment for rheumatism for six months without improvement obtained temporary relief by palming, and by the time his vision had become normal the relief of the rheumatism was complete." (From Perfect Sight Without Glasses). Ok so if i palm, I will get temporary good vision, but so if continue to improve and get a complete cure of vision to 20/20 or better, then it's permanent right?

Ok, the palming relaxes the nervous system and this actually can improve a lot of diseases.
There is no magic here, I think it is anti-stress treatment.
You get just a temporary vision improvement as long as you have not perfect visual habits.
If you learn perfect visual habits and continue to palm every day then your eyeballs will over time reshape to a more spheric form,
and that will certainly be a permanent vision improvement.
But, you will notice several other advantages before you see the very vision improvement.

You need also to do palming in the right way in order to get good results.

Re: Remembering black with your eyes open? - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:"With a little training anyone with good sight can be taught to remember black perfectly with the eyes closed and covered, and with a little more training anyone can learn to do it with the eyes open." (From Perfect Sight Without Glasses). Does this mean that if you achieve palming on remembering perfect black like a perfect black period, you can remember perfect black like a period in your mind with your eyes open?

Yes, you should be able to at least imagine a black period with your eyes open.

Re: Central Fixation - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:How do I achieve central fixation? I only know that Bates said if you achieve it, you can see perfectly of the center of your eyes.

It is your line of sight, the clearest point in your visual field.
When you pay attention to it you are forced to move your eyes naturally and thus in a way it is a simple way to just relax the eyes and get better vision.

Re: Palming - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:When you do palming, Bates said you are suppose to imagine some thing black like a period. But how about the background of the period, what color do we imagine that? Black also? We imagine a black period on a black background, so it's all black...?

The most important is to relax the central visual field, because it is mostly used in natural visual habits.
It is because most nerve fibers in the optic nerve is orginating from the central visual field.
So if you manage to see at least a period black then you have relaxed your vision to a quite large extent. That is your optic nerve is to a quite large extent idle, and that causes the vision to fall into relaxation mode (sleep mode, power down mode).
Also as every part contains the whole, if you relax a period then the whole becomes relaxed, quite amazing holographic aspect, vision/memory/universe are all united and all holographic, Fourier, FFT, connected to brain in spectrum plane.

Re: What are diopters? - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:All I've heard of it is the diopters are on the side of your eyes. But what are they? What do they do? What matters of the numbers of diopters you have?

Dioptre
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Diopters)
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the unit of measure in optics. For other uses, see Diopter (disambiguation).

A dioptre, or diopter, is a unit of measurement of the optical power of a lens or curved mirror, which is equal to the reciprocal of the focal length measured in metres (that is, 1/metres). It is thus a unit of reciprocal length. For example, a 3-dioptre lens brings parallel rays of light to focus at 1⁄3 metre. The same unit is also sometimes used for other reciprocals of distance, particularly radii of curvature and the vergence of optical beams. The usage was proposed by French ophthalmologist Ferdinand Monoyer in 1872.[1][2][3]

One benefit of quantifying a lens in terms of its optical power rather than its focal length is that when relatively thin lenses are placed close together their powers approximately add. Thus a thin 2-dioptre lens placed close to a thin 0.5-dioptre lens yields almost the same focal length as a 2.5-dioptre lens would have.

Though the dioptre is based on the SI-metric system it has not been included in the standard so that there is no international name or abbreviation for this unit of measurement—within the international system of units this unit for optical power would need to be specified explicitly as the inverse metre (m−1). However most languages have borrowed the original name and some national standardization bodies like DIN specify a unit name (dioptrie, dioptria, ..) and derived unit symbol "dpt".
Contents
[hide]

* 1 In optometry
* 2 Curvature
* 3 Relation to magnifying power
* 4 See also
* 5 References

[edit] In optometry

The fact that optical powers are approximately additive enables an optometrist to prescribe corrective lenses as a simple correction to the eye's optical power, rather than doing a detailed analysis of the entire optical system (the eye and the lens). Optical power can also be used to adjust a basic prescription for reading. Thus an optometrist, having determined that a myopic (nearsighted) person requires a basic correction of, say, −2 dioptres to restore normal distance vision, might then make a further prescription of 'add 1' for reading, to make up for lack of accommodation (ability to alter focus). This is the same as saying that −1 dioptre lenses are prescribed for reading.

In humans, the total optical power of the relaxed eye is approximately 60 dioptres. The cornea accounts for approximately two-thirds of this refractive power and the crystalline lens (in conjunction with the aqueous and vitreous humors) contributes the remaining third.[4] In focusing, the ciliary muscle contracts to reduce the tension or stress transferred to the lens by the suspensory ligaments. This results in increased convexity of the lens which in turn increases the optical power of the eye. As humans age, the amplitude of accommodation reduces from approximately 15 to 20 dioptres in the very young, to about 10 dioptres at age 25, to around 1 dioptre at 50 and over.

Convex lenses have positive dioptric value and are generally used to correct hyperopia (farsightedness) or to allow people with presbyopia (the limited accommodation of advancing age) to read at close range. Concave lenses have negative dioptric value and generally correct myopia (nearsightedness). Typical glasses for mild myopia will have a power of −1.00 to −3.00 dioptres, while over the counter reading glasses will be rated at +1.00 to +3.00 dioptres. Optometrists usually measure refractive error using lenses graded in steps of 0.25 dioptres.
[edit] Curvature

The dioptre can also be used as a measurement of curvature equal to the reciprocal of the radius measured in metres. For example, a circle with a radius of 1/2 metre has a curvature of 2 dioptres. If the curvature of a surface of a lens is C and the index of refraction is n, the optical power is φ = (n − 1)C. If both surfaces of the lens are curved, consider their curvatures as positive toward the lens and add them. This will give approximately the right result, as long as the thickness of the lens is much less than the radius of curvature of one of the surfaces. For a mirror the optical power is φ = 2C.
[edit] Relation to magnifying power

The magnifying power of a simple magnifier is related to its optical power. This is covered in detail in the articles on magnification and magnifying glasses.

How do I buy the right size Snellen test card? - eagleguy - 12-21-2011

What's the right size of the Snellen test card like the doctors? how about this one? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Snellen-Eye-Chart-22-11/dp/B0008GCUI6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1324511241&sr=8-4">http://www.amazon.com/Snellen-Eye-Chart ... 241&sr=8-4</a><!-- m -->
row 8 means 20/20, but what does the row 9, 10, and 11 mean? also, i forgot what bates said. but i'm suppose to put the card as close till i can read what rows? row 8, 20/20 or row 11, the best? to improve my vision. does reading it also relaxes my eyes? also what's the point of a pocket size eye chart? PLEASE ANSWER EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID HERE. EVERYTHING EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING!

Re: What does reading fine print mean? - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:Bates said if you read fine print, your vision improves.

Because you use your central vision (central fixation) in a way that forces the eyes to move driven by the attention in a quite natural way (with oppositional movement).

Re: What are pinhole glasses? - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:I've read the book Perfect Sight Without Glasses and William Bates have never mentioned anything about pinhole glasses. I've read about them on Google and people says that Bates created them, but he never mentioned them in his book.... Did Bates really create the pinhole glasses or is this a joke from people to make money?
Are pinhole glasses good for your vision? Do they improve your vision? Or are they bad for your vision? Do they cure your vision completely or just slightly?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_glasses">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_glasses</a><!-- m -->

Re: Looking at blank surface to improve vision? - hammer - 12-21-2011

eagleguy Wrote:"Anyone who knows how to use a retinoscope may, however, demonstrate in a few minutes that both of these conditions are acquired; for no matter how astigmatic or hypermetropic an eye may be, its vision always becomes normal when it looks at a blank surface without trying to see." (from Perfect Sight Without Glasses) Is this suppose to be a method of improving your vision by looking at a blank surface without trying to see? Is it trying to say something like looking a a blank white wall or any other color without trying to see?

No, no, no, you cannot just look at a blank surface and expect your vision to improve.
The problem is that you try to hard to see, perfect vision must be effortless, relaxed.
This means that if you stare at a point then your vision will get worse.
If you stare at the blank surface you will get worse vision.
You need to engage your attention and brain in the details that you look at in the present moment such tht you get natural visual habits, eyes moving dynamically relaxed, not feeling the eyes when they move.

Looking at a blank surface is just some initial beginner exercise to realize that you shall not try to see too hard, it is not going to work at all in the long run when you need to get your attention on details really easy going.