MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
eagleguy's thousand questions - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
eagleguy's thousand questions - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: eagleguy's thousand questions (/showthread.php?tid=1986)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Does daydreaming cause mental strain? - vst - 12-21-2011

hammer Wrote:
eagleguy Wrote:Does daydreaming cause mental strain and worsened vision? I read about Bates saying if you are not focus and is unconscious, like daydreaming, it causes mental strain. An example I've heard to prevent mental strain of this was to juggle which improves your focus.

It depends on how you daydream.
If what you dream is aligned to the real world then there will be no problem,
else there becomes a conflict that causes strain in your eyes (two forces compete, real world and dream world, they must be aligned else the forces causes a conflict and thus strain).
If there is no alignment you better close your eyes and daydream, else it is ok to daydream.
Also, this requires of course natural visual habits.

Can you please clarify what kind of daydreams are aligned to the real world and which aren't? Some examples would be great.

Can anyone help me to show me a variety of methods please? - eagleguy - 12-22-2011

For a couple of days I will be having much free time so I'm going to use it for the Bates method. So the methods I know are palming, reading the Snellen test card, and that's it. I don't know how to do shifting and swinging; could anyone show me? Ok so this topic is mainly about getting help to know a variety of methods. So what else Bates methods are there that I don't know and haven't mentioned? I've read the book Perfect Sight Without Glasses and it did not show me much methods and did not explain how to do shifting and swinging. It mainly talked about home treatment like palming and reading the Snellen test card and that's it. You guys seem to know some methods that I've never heard when I've got done reading the book by William Horatio Bates. Or are you guys making up these methods yourselves? I've heard this "shifting in a triangle", "sunning", and stuffs like that in this website and Bates never said anything about them.... ??? Also, how does many Bates patients gets perfect cures of errors of refractions in just minutes which have been said many times in the book?

Re: Can anyone help me to show me a variety of methods pleas - Pikachu - 12-22-2011

Try reading the book again? I am pretty sure that Bates' book had sections on shifting and swinging (there was a whole chapter on that!) and sunning (I think Bates referred to this in a couple of chapters).

But to be honest, you only need one "method" to improve your eyesight. Try experimenting with just one of the exercises - say, palming. Spend as much time as you can (30 to 60 minutes at a time if you can) several times a day and play around with it. Don't worry too much about whether you're doing it right or not. Instead, focus more on what you feel. "Turn off" your thoughts and tune in to your body.

It is unfortunate, but vision improvement is probably unlike anything you've dealt with before. You cannot improve by "working harder" or "forcing the issue". It's something that's inside of you, and until you understand who you are, you cannot expect much improvement.

Re: Boredom means strain to vision and mind? - hammer - 12-22-2011

eagleguy Wrote:"The sort of things we remember are the things that interest us, and the reason children have difficulty in learning their lessons is because they are bored by them. For the same reason, among others, their eyesight becomes impaired, boredom being a condition of mental strain in which it is impossible for the eye to function normally." "Phebe, of the keen eyes, who could recite whole books if she happened to be interested in them, disliked mathematics and anatomy extremely, and not only could not learn them but became myopic when they were presented to her mind." (from Perfect Sight Without Glasses)
I'm always bored every time I work. It's impossible to prevent boredom in the world. Everyone at least have to be bored at some time of the day like working. So how do you prevent boredom so I can prevent strain of my vision and mind?

You are responsible in each very instant moment for what you think and decide.
Once you realize this you will feel powerfull immediately.
What you think also creates your future.
That is why the best method to prevent boredom is to think of something positive or positive memories.
When you get inner awareness and mindfullness, you will notice that your imagination improves too, this will break the ice and you will look at boredom in a much more positive way.

Re: Normal vision improves mind and your work - hammer - 12-22-2011

eagleguy Wrote:"When one is not interested, in short, one's mind is not under control, and without mental control one can neither learn nor see. Not only the memory but all other mental faculties are improved when the eyesight becomes normal. It is a common experience with patients cured of defective sight to find that their ability to do their work has improved." (from Perfect Sight Without Glasses)
What does it mean to have normal vision improves mind to work better? Does it mean when you achieve to have normal vision, you're just going to suddenly enjoy what you're not interested in without strain?

Often you are not interested in things that you are bad at.
This is often due to that you try to grasp too much all at once, it becomes too much and you get as a consequence not interested (it is a defence mechanism of the body).
If you simplify the whole thing such that you just pay attention to a part or to just some detail this will lead to that you easier will handle the problems and thus you will become more easy going.
When you start to do something new it will most often become interesting when you have been doing it for a while. So there is a resistance that needs to be gone through before you can see any positive interest. Normal visual habits are good since it simplifies this attention process and it applies to mind, imagination and memory too.

Re: Mind and Vision - hammer - 12-22-2011

eagleguy Wrote:"The subject was a child of ten with such marvelous eyesight that she could see the moons of Jupiter with the naked eye, a fact which was demonstrated by her drawing a diagram of these satellites which exactly corresponded to the diagrams made by persons who had used a telescope. Her memory was equally remarkable. She could recite the whole content of a book after reading it, as Lord Macaulay is said to have done, and she learned more Latin in a few days without a teacher than her sister, who had six diopters of myopia, had been able to do in several years." (from Perfect Sight Without Glasses)
So if you put a photo/picture in front of you; remember the photo/picture; put the photo/picture away; draw it PERFECTLY; take the photo/picture out; and check if it's perfect and if it is then you have perfect vision and memory?
Ok so my second question is that the girl with marvelous eyesight can learn the language Latin faster than her sister; why can she learn faster than her sister? What exactly gave her the ability to do that?

Well, this is all due to that the mind, vision, memory and universe are all united, because they most certainly follow a principle that says that each part contains the whole (the holographic principle), and they are all part of the same spectrum plane. So for instance if you have bad imagination you also have not perfect vision or not perfect memory. That is why that if you improve your imagination you can see improvements in for instance vision, but of course it still requires natural visual habits else it will not matter what you do.

Re: Can anyone help me to show me a variety of methods pleas - eagleguy - 12-22-2011

But I have 1 big problem on palming. Everytime I cover my open eyes to check if there's any light in and when there's none I close my eyes and after like 20 minutes I open my eyes before letting my palm go off my eyes, I see holes with light coming in so the whole time there was light going in my palms which makes me angry because it means I was doing it wrong the whole time. Also, it's hard to think of a small black period. I still have a problem which is what color do I imagine as the background of the black period. When I think of a black period it feels like I'm thinking with effort....

Re: Can anyone help me to show me a variety of methods pleas - eagleguy - 12-23-2011

>Sad I've just spent 3 hours on palming today and felt no difference. Because my eyesight is so bad I feel like it have got more blurry. Something I don't get is that is imagining the blackest period as you can called an effort? I also now have the Snellen test card. Can I look at one of the letters on the Snellen test card an imagine (while palming) that letter as black as I can because that's one of the methods right? Also another palming method is putting the Snellen test card away till you see blurry and imagine (while palming) that these letters are clear right? When I do palming, I imagine a period in the center of a black background as black as I can in my head/mind, that's how you do palming right? Also, I sit down on the ground with my legs criss cross and put my elbows on a chair and palm and my legs slightly hurts when I sit and palm very long, is that ok to do? It's also something like lying down and palming which often is difficult because your arms are up and it hurts when it's up for so long. I don't have a table in my room so I can't sit in a chair with a table and do palming. Also can you guys show me an example of an effort to palm please? What if I daydream or think of a music in my head while palming, is that straining? I also feel like imagining the blackest period in my mind is making effort which is straining. Also does poster matter? Because sometimes I'm tired so I start to look upwards while palming. And I also sometimes look downwards while palming. Answer all of my questions and the reply above please. Seriously, answer all of my questions please. Don't write one sentence and leave me off typing more and more for the correct answers please, please, and please.

Re: Palming - eagleguy - 12-23-2011

I know it's good to palm OFTEN. But is it good to palm LONG at once? What if you just stare at the black instead of imagining something black, is that straining? I have so much questions on palming because it doesn't work man! >Sad

Re: Palming - vst - 12-23-2011

eagleguy Wrote:I know it's good to palm OFTEN. But is it good to palm LONG at once? What if you just stare at the black instead of imagining something black, is that straining? I have so much questions on palming because it doesn't work man! >Sad

It is good to palm for a long time at once, provided that you relax while doing so.

Staring at the black is staining. Actually, it isn't necessary to visualize something black and people often strain even more while doing it. Bates(or somebody else) later stated that visualizing relaxing scenes and moving objects were sufficient enough for relaxation(I find it very helpful).

Note that when you visualize something, it should be clear and detailed, not blurry, as people with bad vision often see things as. You should also not trying to see the object visualized in the inside of your eyelids(the whole piece of black one sees while palming), but somewhere in your head(I know I didn't explain that clearly, maybe somebody can help).

Re: Can anyone help me to show me a variety of methods pleas - vst - 12-23-2011

eagleguy Wrote:Ok so this topic is mainly about getting help to know a variety of methods. So what else Bates methods are there that I don't know and haven't mentioned? I've read the book Perfect Sight Without Glasses and it did not show me much methods and did not explain how to do shifting and swinging. It mainly talked about home treatment like palming and reading the Snellen test card and that's it. You guys seem to know some methods that I've never heard when I've got done reading the book by William Horatio Bates. Or are you guys making up these methods yourselves? I've heard this "shifting in a triangle", "sunning", and stuffs like that in this website and Bates never said anything about them.... ??? Also, how does many Bates patients gets perfect cures of errors of refractions in just minutes which have been said many times in the book?

Methods such as "sunning" and the "long swing" can be found in Bates's Better Eyesight Magazines, which can be found for free at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com/better-eyesight-magazine/">http://www.central-fixation.com/better- ... -magazine/</a><!-- m -->. "Shifting in triangle" was a method David came up with; it does work, you should try it.

For some strange reason, Bates's patients got cured much faster than the people nowadays. Probably their lifestyle was different than ours and they had more time to practice. Reading that book does gives you the idea that your eyesight can be restored within a matter of weeks.

eagleguy Wrote:But I have 1 big problem on palming. Everytime I cover my open eyes to check if there's any light in and when there's none I close my eyes and after like 20 minutes I open my eyes before letting my palm go off my eyes, I see holes with light coming in so the whole time there was light going in my palms which makes me angry because it means I was doing it wrong the whole time.

No, you don't need to exclude all of the light completely. Palming will work as long as most of the light is blocked.

eagleguy Wrote:>Sad I've just spent 3 hours on palming today and felt no difference. Because my eyesight is so bad I feel like it have got more blurry. Something I don't get is that is imagining the blackest period as you can called an effort? I also now have the Snellen test card. Can I look at one of the letters on the Snellen test card an imagine (while palming) that letter as black as I can because that's one of the methods right? Also another palming method is putting the Snellen test card away till you see blurry and imagine (while palming) that these letters are clear right? When I do palming, I imagine a period in the center of a black background as black as I can in my head/mind, that's how you do palming right? Also, I sit down on the ground with my legs criss cross and put my elbows on a chair and palm and my legs slightly hurts when I sit and palm very long, is that ok to do? It's also something like lying down and palming which often is difficult because your arms are up and it hurts when it's up for so long. I don't have a table in my room so I can't sit in a chair with a table and do palming. Also can you guys show me an example of an effort to palm please? What if I daydream or think of a music in my head while palming, is that straining? I also feel like imagining the blackest period in my mind is making effort which is straining. Also does poster matter? Because sometimes I'm tired so I start to look upwards while palming. And I also sometimes look downwards while palming. Answer all of my questions and the reply above please. Seriously, answer all of my questions please. Don't write one sentence and leave me off typing more and more for the correct answers please, please, and please.

Yes, imagining the letters on the test card as black you can is one of the methods. Be sure that you are shifting from part to part of the letter while imagining it. Bates also advised imagining the test card as white.

Posture matters quite a bit while palming. Makes sure that your spine is straight and that no part of you body is cramped or tense. Bates advised people to palm while putting their elbows on a table. I don't find that position comfortable as I have to crane my neck in order to reach my hands. I find palming while lying down quite helpful. You can try palming in a standing position.

Re: Palming - Nancy - 12-23-2011

eagleguy, you're trying too hard. Palming should be relaxing, like closing your eyes and daydreaming. You can picture something black you know well, a piece of black velvet or an onyx ring. Or you can picture something else which relaxes you, maybe the face or a friend. See it in your memory (memory and imagination are very closely connected). Let your mind drift. Relax into the feeling of effortlessness -- you are not trying to do anything but just be there.

Re: Palming - FIAT2LUX - 12-23-2011

For myself I currently have to do short periods of palming, as the longer periods tend to result in strain as of now. Remember the foundational principle is relaxation. Many people on here have relaxed and been able to improve their vision (like me), and some have even cured themselves (not me)! There've been some suggestions made here, so let us know if it's helped or not, because we (me) still have others if needed.

Re: Can anyone help me to show me a variety of methods pleas - eagleguy - 12-23-2011

What I do now is palm and think of the blackest period i can think of in my mind, is that the correct way to do palming? I still have a problem with posture because maybe I'm to tall or something because I have to bend my neck down to reach my hands and when I try to find another spot, that spot I have to move my face too high so I'm palming while looking up. I can't seem to find a spot in my room to palm in the correct posture. There is a table in my living room but it's noisy there. The only quiet place I got is my room.

Re: Palming - eagleguy - 12-23-2011

After palming, I don't see any clear flashes though. But when I did palming 2 years ago (which I have been doing wrong that time because I cover my open eyes and stared at the black on purpose) I did see 20/20 flashes. I don't know how I saw the 20/20 flashes while doing it wrong. I've read the book just this month so now I know how to do palming correctly but I don't see those 20/20 clear flashes. Also, when I been walking around in a dark room and then walk back out to a lighter room I see bright flashes of better vision. Why is that? And I'm not palming or anything, I just walk around in a dark room that's all. Ya'll sure palming is the thing that makes the bright flashes? Because I think the dark is what makes your eyes adjust back to the light with improved vision for a second.