MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Need help getting started - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Need help getting started - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Need help getting started (/showthread.php?tid=2820)

Pages: 1 2

Road to good eyesight - johnmadden - 08-27-2014

Thanks for the advice folks. Today, I seen my glasses lying around so i just temporarily put them on. When I put them on, I was really shocked as it has been a couple of weeks since I have worn my glasses in the house, so everything looked crystal clear. It also made me feel sad, not being able to see as clear as all my friends/family. At this certain moment in time, I instantly felt like ordering more contact lenses and ditch the whole "natural eye improvement". But, I came to my senses and decided soon after this is not the way forward.

I start university next month, so I will be lectures a lot. The issue I will probably have is not being able to see whats going on on the screen, so I'd either have to move really close or wear some under-corrected glasses. Another issue i've been having ls seeing my laptop screen as the text is quite blutry, so this causes me to slouch forward to see the text, which also gives me back pains and bad posture.

Its been about 2+ weeks since I've started this natural eye improvement. I havent seen any results (i think), but I dont expect to so soon, especially when I missed a couple of days out doing certain techniques. For that reason, i'll be following a strict regimen daily:

-central fixation
-noticing small details
-looking far in the distance every 3 hours for 10 mins
-being out in the sun shining in my eyes
-soft blinking, relaxtion
-reading the snellen chart atleast 1 hour a day (edge of blur)
-long swing

I know this may not be the best routine for eye improvement, so if there is anything else you deem helpful to improve eyesight and also get rid of bad habits, such as slouching forward to see the screen, please let me know.

Thanks.

RE: Need help getting started - sleepmaster - 08-28-2014

-looking far in the distance every 3 hours for 10 minutes

Do this for way more than 10 minutes. and way more frequently than every 3 hours.

You got it reversed. It's close up work you should be doing every 3 hours for 10 minutese.

RE: Need help getting started - arocarty - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 08:46 AM)sleepmaster Wrote: -looking far in the distance every 3 hours for 10 minutes

Do this for way more than 10 minutes. and way more frequently than every 3 hours.

You got it reversed. It's close up work you should be doing every 3 hours for 10 minutese.

Not sure what you are implying here, but if you are implying that close work is in and of itself bad for the eyes and distance vision, that was never the position of Bates. Quite the contrary, Bates held that learning to use the eyes correctly at near could help at all distances, especially the use of fine print at very close ranges. There are other areas of the forum for contradictory beliefs, but they shouldn't be promoted here. Pls. keep them out of the Bates forum so as not to create confusion and misconceptions with contradictory information.

RE: Need help getting started - sleepmaster - 08-29-2014

Bates and/or Quackenbush talk about how there's a negative to looking at big letters that are too easy to see.

If you are doing close work, say when reading a normal book or typing on a computer, the print is rarely Bates-level fine. It's larger than that.

It was Bates position that your visual acuity is the summation of daily situations your eyes find themselves in.

So while reading a book or typing on a computer is not as bad as looking at really big print, it's still enough to bring down your average of to what degree your eye is accomodating, assuming you aren't wearing corrective lenses when looking at distance.

So you'll improve, but just improve slower.

There's only one reality of the way the eye is and what works for the eye. That's all I care about, the system of the eye itself. One system, one reality. Take what I say as an opinion based on experience of some random person on the internet who has gone from 20/400 to 20/40 in under a year. My only agenda is to share with people what might speed things up for them, as I look for new ideas that would help speed up my own vision improvement. It's certainly not to spread any particular system because I have yet to find a man-derived system that encompasses the entire truth about the human eye.

RE: Need help getting started - johnmadden - 08-29-2014

(08-29-2014, 11:45 AM)sleepmaster Wrote: Bates and/or Quackenbush talk about how there's a negative to looking at big letters that are too easy to see.

If you are doing close work, say when reading a normal book or typing on a computer, the print is rarely Bates-level fine. It's larger than that.

It was Bates position that your visual acuity is the summation of daily situations your eyes find themselves in.

So while reading a book or typing on a computer is not as bad as looking at really big print, it's still enough to bring down your average of to what degree your eye is accomodating, assuming you aren't wearing corrective lenses when looking at distance.

So you'll improve, but just improve slower.

There's only one reality of the way the eye is and what works for the eye. That's all I care about, the system of the eye itself. One system, one reality. Take what I say as an opinion based on experience of some random person on the internet who has gone from 20/400 to 20/40 in under a year. My only agenda is to share with people what might speed things up for them, as I look for new ideas that would help speed up my own vision improvement. It's certainly not to spread any particular system because I have yet to find a man-derived system that encompasses the entire truth about the human eye.

Wow, that is very impressive. Care to share with me how you did it? If it isn't specifically Bates method, PM me. I'd greatly appreciate it. Smile