MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Need help getting started

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help getting started
Hi, i've decided I want to stop wearing glasses/contacts for good. I found this website about 2 months ago and went on to do the Bates method and wearing glasses only when I needed them (driving), but after about a week I casually started wearing them again. I'm -2 in both eyes and dont want my eyes to get any worse as they have been doing each year. This time I am determined to stick with it though, because I believe it can improve naturally without resorting to surgery or using glasses.

So, what I do throughout the day is relax my eyes at all times. When I look around at objects I look at them in detail and try to notice its texture. I use central fixation and directly look at things. I try to look at things in the distance without squinting. However, I feel as if Im not doing enough and wasting my time looking at everything blurry when I could just take the easy way out (and worse) wearing glasses/contacts.
Is there other things I should be doing and should I get an eye chart? Also how long do you think it would take to get my vision back to normal. Thanks.
You should definetely get a chart. Vision Improvemetns can be very minor so I'd advise you to measure your edge of blur( the distance at which your eyesight gets blurry). If you have -2D that means your edge of blur is about 50 cm. How long it takes I can't really say. I started out with -2D as well and now one year later my vision is -0.75D. But the majority of the time I was doing methods that didn't really help me. It took some time to find out what is workong.

Keep on doing what you're doing. Strain management is very improtant. use an eye chart and your edge of blur to see if you improve. Also If you haven't already, read hoe_from_vietnams thread where he explains how he got back to 20/20. I'm using a quite similar method and it's working just fine.

http://www.iblindness.org/forum/finally-...ed-success
(08-11-2014, 01:01 AM)Ricky Wrote: You should definetely get a chart. Vision Improvemetns can be very minor so I'd advise you to measure your edge of blur( the distance at which your eyesight gets blurry). If you have -2D that means your edge of blur is about 50 cm. How long it takes I can't really say. I started out with -2D as well and now one year later my vision is -0.75D. But the majority of the time I was doing methods that didn't really help me. It took some time to find out what is workong.

Keep on doing what you're doing. Strain management is very improtant. use an eye chart and your edge of blur to see if you improve. Also If you haven't already, read hoe_from_vietnams thread where he explains how he got back to 20/20. I'm using a quite similar method and it's working just fine.

http://www.iblindness.org/forum/finally-...ed-success

Thanks for the reply Ricky. I will get an eye chart. Is there any other practises I should be doing with the eye chart? I've never dealt with one before other than at the opticians.
Read the Home Treatment chapter of Bates book.
http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect...sses/ch24/
There he says that if you have worn glasses you should practice with the snellen chart one hour a day.
I personally prefer to practice print pushing with the computer instead of practicing with the snellen card.
I improved quite a bit by practicing print pushing
It's pretty easy. You find your edge of blur and move 5 cm behind it and start reading very small print on your computer screen. By doing this regularly for about an hour a day you can progressively improve your myopia by increasing the distance with time.
But it doesnt't matter if you practice with the snellen test card of with your computer. Both have the same effect.
(08-11-2014, 05:30 AM)Ricky Wrote: Read the Home Treatment chapter of Bates book.
There he says that if you have worn glasses you should practice with the snellen chart one hour a day.
I personally prefer to practice print pushing with the computer instead of practicing with the snellen card.
It's pretty easy. You find your edge of blur and move 5 cm behind it and start reading very small print on your computer screen. By doing this regularly for about an hour a day you can progressively improve your myopia by increasing the distance with time.
But it doesnt't matter if you practice with the snellen test card of with your computer. Both have the same effect.

Correct me if im wrong here, I just read out the letters that I find the blurriest, so it doesnt matter which line I read, as long as it appears blurry enough which challenges my sight?
(08-11-2014, 08:32 AM)johnmadden Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 05:30 AM)Ricky Wrote: Read the Home Treatment chapter of Bates book.

Correct me if im wrong here, I just read out the letters that I find the blurriest, so it doesnt matter which line I read, as long as it appears blurry enough which challenges my sight?

You read the smallest lines you can see. If you can just read a few letters than read those. If you read small letters you challenge your central fixation. If you can only make out the really big letters go closer to the card. As long as you're behind your edge of blur and you're reading very small letters/ regard very small details you are challenging your eyes to change it's shape and improve.
Wont challenging my eyes in this way cause some strain,how should I prevent it??
(08-11-2014, 01:31 PM)johnmadden Wrote: Wont challenging my eyes in this way cause some strain,how should I prevent it??

Indeed you can, and what you have to realize is that "edge of blur" is not really Bates, and as such should not be promoted in the Bates forum. Working with an eye chart was not used this way by Bates, and goes contrary to many of the principles he put forth. What "Ricky", or whoever he is, (sounds a lot like Aetherkey) is trying to promote comes from the plus lens promoters, and is obvious not very interested in discussing and supporting others in the Bates method, in the Bates forum. He has already tried to inject non-Bates concepts of 'axial elongation,' 'ciliary myopia,' 'active focus,' 'print pushing,' non of which are based in Bates, come out of the plus lens school of belief. This is confusing to people trying to learn Bates, which is already difficult enough. Please keep it in 'other theories.'
(08-11-2014, 07:54 PM)arocarty Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 01:31 PM)johnmadden Wrote: Wont challenging my eyes in this way cause some strain,how should I prevent it??

Indeed you can, and what you have to realize is that "edge of blur" is not really Bates, and as such should not be promoted in the Bates forum. Working with an eye chart was not used this way by Bates, and goes contrary to many of the principles he put forth. What "Ricky", or whoever he is, (sounds a lot like Aetherkey) is trying to promote comes from the plus lens promoters, and is obvious not very interested in discussing and supporting others in the Bates method, in the Bates forum. He has already tried to inject non-Bates concepts of 'axial elongation,' 'ciliary myopia,' 'active focus,' 'print pushing,' non of which are based in Bates, come out of the plus lens school of belief. This is confusing to people trying to learn Bates, which is already difficult enough. Please keep it in 'other theories.'

I don't recommend using plus lens. I can see some benefit coming from it but I don't thnk using plus lenses will give you any benefit when improving your eyesight.

I'm not Aethersky. I promote the same techniques that he does because after reading some of his threads and posts I tried them out and had good success.

Well, If this is the Bates Forum and people are so touchy about other people not practicing Bates a 100% correctly and thinking ahead then I will stiop doing that in the Bates section.

However I will still say that johnmadden should practice with the snellen test card like Bates intended. This is a key part of the Bates method often forgotten by Bates users.
(08-11-2014, 10:10 PM)Ricky Wrote:

I don't recommend using plus lens. I can see some benefit coming from it but I don't thnk using plus lenses will give you any benefit when improving your eyesight.

I'm not Aethersky. I promote the same techniques that he does because after reading some of his threads and posts I tried them out and had good success.

Well, If this is the Bates Forum and people are so touchy about other people not practicing Bates a 100% correctly and thinking ahead then I will stiop doing that in the Bates section.

However I will still say that johnmadden should practice with the snellen test card like Bates intended. This is a key part of the Bates method often forgotten by Bates users.

It's not about being touchy - anyone can practice whatever they want, however much they want, they have ownership over their eyes. There are ample forums and other sites to discuss beliefs that run contrary and contradict Bates. Nobody is stopping anyone from going wherever they choose. But promoting conflicting information in the Bates forum is not helpful to those trying to learn the method, creates misconceptions about it, and can especially confuse newcomers. Chartwork, as Bates intended.... has always been promoted in this forum, and has hardly been forgotten. The Bates method is about far more than just looking at a chart an hour a day, especially for those with very stubborn, or higher levels of refractive error.
(08-12-2014, 04:13 AM)arocarty Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 10:10 PM)Ricky Wrote:

It's not about being touchy - anyone can practice whatever they want, however much they want, they have ownership over their eyes. There are ample forums and other sites to discuss beliefs that run contrary and contradict Bates. Nobody is stopping anyone from going wherever they choose. But promoting conflicting information in the Bates forum is not helpful to those trying to learn the method, creates misconceptions about it, and can especially confuse newcomers. Chartwork, as Bates intended.... has always been promoted in this forum, and has hardly been forgotten. The Bates method is about far more than just looking at a chart an hour a day, especially for those with very stubborn, or higher levels of refractive error.

I think Ricky was just trying to help me with techniques which are capable of improving ones eyesight, no harm in that. Anyway, the main components I have picked up from this method are swinging, central fixation, an eye chart and palming. If you think I'm missing any important techniques, feel free to comment.
Just so everyone knows; The plus lens method, (David De Angelis, Otis Brown's methods) and those other unnatural methods (including the magic eye books, 3-cups) are not Dr. Bates Method. They cause blur, cataract, double vision, strabismus, astigmatism and other eye-vision problems. Please AVOID them.

Please keep anti-Bates method posts, threads in the other theories and methods section so true Bates members can help honest people on the Bates method threads, forums. I see 3 new threads placed in the Bates Method section and they all are sneaking in the plus lens and other unhealthy methods. I cant try to post there to help anyone because there are so many conflicting posts, its impossible to teach.

Here's a PDF showing how all glasses plus and minus impair the eyes health and the vision;
Look for this PDF; The NEW PDF Edition and Natural Safe Myopia... Cure, Embedded Video;
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id76.html

I am working on a video using this entire PDF and live reading fine and microscopic print without glasses.

I could not upload the PDF to iblindness forum due to the forum file size limit so had to link it.

Clark Night
(08-12-2014, 11:49 AM)clarknight Wrote: Just so everyone knows; The plus lens method, (David De Angelis, Otis Brown's methods) and those other unnatural methods (including the magic eye books, 3-cups) are not Dr. Bates Method. They cause blur, cataract, double vision, strabismus, astigmatism and other eye-vision problems. Please AVOID them.

Please keep anti-Bates method posts, threads in the other theories and methods section so true Bates members can help honest people on the Bates method threads, forums. I see 3 new threads placed in the Bates Method section and they all are sneaking in the plus lens and other unhealthy methods. I cant try to post there to help anyone because there are so many conflicting posts, its impossible to teach.

Here's a PDF showing how all glasses plus and minus impair the eyes health and the vision;
Look for this PDF; The NEW PDF Edition and Natural Safe Myopia... Cure, Embedded Video;
http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id76.html

I am working on a video using this entire PDF and live reading fine and microscopic print without glasses.

I could not upload the PDF to iblindness forum due to the forum file size limit so had to link it.

Clark Night

Why don't you just help this person by answering his question,rather than attempt to discredit other methods that do work.
Also why do you insist on promoting yourself,and your products here? Which by the way are not totally Bates,such as showing people how to buy glasses online,and recommend reduced prescription glasses.
Part of the problem here is I'm not doing a good job conveying to newcomers what the Bates method is and isn't, in a way that makes it clear why it isn't wise to just lump all the ideas they have heard together and try whatever sounds most appealing. I plan on writing something addressing that issue and putting up some prominent links. Other ideas welcome.

Some added things do more good than not, such as exercise, experimenting with diets, meditation, and many other general health approaches that don't interfere with vision much. But some other methods will confuse the issue. My approach is education. I don't care for warning people to stay away from any particular method. I prefer to educate people on what the real problems are with their vision, ones that they can identify with, so that they can see that other methods don't address those problems. I'd also like to better be able to convey such things quickly to newcomers, so that even people who don't care to read much will get it right away.

I'll start another thread about it in Other Theories and Methods.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
johnmadden, as far as other techniques, don't forget sunning. If the sun is too bright for you, don't force it, just go slowly. I like to do Long Swings outdoors, and sometimes the eye chart. You can close your eyes when swinging to directly face the sun and open them when you're facing away from it. My eyes love the natural light more and more -- I posted somewhere else that Meir Schneider's wife improved by 2 diopters just by reading outdoors and doing nothing else differently.

I'm noticing that my eyes let in more and more light as my vision improves -- arocarty wrote about this recently. In the healthy eye, the pupil gets smaller in bright light but the eye itself does not squint or close. (Of course you keep blinking.) I've wondered how negative the effect of depriving the sclera of the sunlight might be. Think of Dr. Bates and the sun glass: he did not shine it into the patient's pupil but on another part of their eyeball.

When I'm in bright sun I pay attention to how my eyes react, gently nudging them to stay open wide. Sometimes I still have a tendency to flinch or just squint a tiny bit, a very old habit which is dropping away. I think glasses and contacts make the sun seem unnaturally bright and I wore them for most of my life. No more!

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now