MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Noticed something today? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Noticed something today? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Noticed something today? (/showthread.php?tid=359)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Noticed something today? - TylerDurden - 05-02-2007

Kazekage Wrote: 

So anyway, then I thought, who cares if Bates theories about the eye are wrong, so long as the method works .  And for me it did; Even after 30 seconds of palming I get an instant difference? And I have the same problems as you (myopia and astigmatism), so it should work. And even if you do have strabismus, don't worry,  it can be cured just as easily. (But it doesn't seem like you do)

Close your eyes, and hold both palms crossed over your eyes, but don't apply pressure, just cover the face. Don't worry if you are not blocking out all the light. Stay like this for 30 seconds - but don't freeze yourself, allow your body to move naturally. If, after that 30 seconds is up, you open your eyes and you REALLY aren't seeing any noticeable difference, then reply.

Im aware of palming and used to do it regularly, but im sure now that the difference is imaginary. There's a lot psychologically that goes into vision and I don't see any real noticeable improvement. I can see how someone would be deluded into think there was any kind of change.

Quote:Also Tyler, you suspect Bates method to be a rip off, but it costs no money so you won't get ripped off.  And don't waste time with teachers (especially not here in the UK, most of them are rips who don't have a clue what they're talking about), or fakes like 'See-Clearly method'. All you need is: 1. This forum for help. 2. The authentic books ( including Better Eyesight Compilation and 'Perfect Sight Without Glasses').

It is a rip off, because Dave can get money from his store and the various authors from selling their books, aswell as the teachers.

Quote:First of all, vision can basically NEVER be restored unless you have the right habits of seeing, which most short sighted and astigmatic people don't. These habits, which you MUST learn, WILL improve your sight to normal when you can do them properly.

1. Sketching
2. Blinking
3. Breathing

Okay sorry to keep you in suspense, but I have to go to school now so I'll finish the post when I get back in afternoon (that's why this post sounds so rushed =D)

What is sketching?

And as for blinking.. Read this.

"Michio Kushi, the leading exponent of macrobiotics in the world, the founder of the East West Foundation and the Kushi Institute, and author of many books on health and diet, has some interesting things to say about eye blinking and health: "The standard speed of blinking is three times per minute, or once every twenty seconds. The less blinking the better. Blinking is closing the eyes more, which is a sign of excess yin [water in the body]. "A healthy person's eyes can go without blinking for many minutes; a baby hardly blinks at all. A person who blinks less is currently in a more active sharp condition, in both physical and mental character. "A person who blinks more than three times per minute is in a state of declining health, due to the consumption of excessive liquid, fruit and sugar.
"If blinking is abnormally frequent, a person is suffering from nervous disorders and is experiencing extreme sensitivity, fear and irritability. If we blink more and more we finally close our eyes and die."

Dave Wrote:Ok, so now you're attacking Christians too, but anyway...

Yeah, a deluded cult.

Quote:The medical establishment has a long history of suppressing alternative measures to health and healing. Nutrition was ignored, they tried to eliminate chiropractic. There's probably many books all about it, if anyone wants to recommend one.

It took decades for limes to be accepted as a preventative measure against scurvy:
http://www.framheim.com/Amundsen/Scurvy/Scurvy.html

There is also a lot to be said for apathy, inertia, and not liking to give up what they learned in medical or optometry school. Also read this:
http://www.iblindness.org/articles/kiesling-barriers.html

Being a poker player, I look at it also as a matter of probability. Which is more likely: that the most extreme viewpoint of the medical establishment is correct that all of the thousands of alternative therapies out there are useless, or that at least a small number of the thousands of alternative therapies are useful and even in some cases better than conventional treatment? Bates method supporters sometimes get accused of having blind faith, but frankly it's the definition of faith to believe in what probability tells you is less likely or to believe in something you haven't experienced.

Just accusing everyone of lying about the Bates method's efficacy is a useless argument, and it just annoys people - I could fire back and say you're lying about reading any books, and that Tyler Durden isn't even your real name (I know, it's a character, and that's fine), but that's a dumb argument. You've successfully riled people up though.

But you did bring up a couple arguments worth discussing, saved this thread from being locked. The Quackwatch article I addressed here a long time ago:
http://www.iblindness.org/articles/kiesling-rebuttal.html

If the Bates method promised really small improvements to health i'd be ok with accepting it.. But something that says you can cure glaucoma and cataracts and other serious eye diseases, how could that be underground, restricted to a few forums, books and teachers? How? It just isn't possible. It would be all over the news if even one person cured his sight. The media could easily end the current system of accomodation in place of bates ideas overnight. That alone is enough to prove that everyone who thinks their sight is improved by bates is lying or deluded, or its pseudomyopia (or w/e the opthamologists call it)

Quote:Your other argument was that LASIK proves that eye doctors know what they're doing. How so? Sites like www.surgicaleyes.com quickly started up when laser surgery was on the rise, sharing the fact that thousands of people were getting their eyes destroyed by LASIK, oftentimes while being written off as "successes". For many reasons, LASIK is a dangerous thing to do, and the long-term complications won't be known for a long time.

If you mean that the fact that LASIK works at all proves that they are correct about everything to do with vision, I'm missing your point. Nobody's doubting that it or contacts or glasses modify the resulting focus of an image. But I suspect you just see LASIK as a miracle cure and haven't really looked into the issue to understand why or how it works.

I've spent months looking at the sites like surgical eyes and the forums.. Again, a small minority of people, maybe 300? As opposed to millions of happy people who have had Lasik. Sure they reshape the cornea but if they can restore eyesight in an instant it speaks a lot better for the medical profession than the bates teachers who can't even back up their claims and nobody knows about them. HOW does NOBODY know about this if its such a miracle cure? It just isn't possible.

Paul Wrote:The lens is internal, it is rather "suspended" inside your eye, which means you cannot see the effect of its curvature outside.

Pressure has an important factor:  It is Force/Area, which is applied to all sides.  Unfortunately for those scientists, this is now how an eyeball works.  It doesn't fill up with fluid and get larger whenever it needs to accommodate near.  The 5 extrinsic muscles contract and push on the eyeball from all sides, flattening it into a foot-ball shape.  Naturally when you push on all sides of a ball, it elongates.  This achieves near focus.  If these muscles strain, they aren't able to relax, and the muscles will always be tightens throwing your eyeball into permanent elongation.  The modern day optometrists saw this, and refusing to give up their Hemholtz lens theory of accommodation (which, by the way, is 70 years OLDER than that Bates method), so they said what is very intuitive...for genetic reasons the eyeball grew too much axially.  There is another saying in science, which perfectly describes modern-day optometrists:  "One does not discover new lands without losing sight of the shore".  Doctors know that if you push on all sides of the eye with your fingers, the fluid inside gets relocated and the eyeball elongates.  There is only one big conflict with the modern theory, which was very well shown by Dr. Bates in his book:  When relaxation is achieved, eyesight is cured instantly.  If it's genetic, how is it cured instantly? The explanation, lies in the extrinsic muscle accommodation theory: once you relieve the strain of the muscles, they will no longer push on the eyeball when focusing far, the eye returns to its normal shape, and you get perfect distance vision. 
LASIK does something wrong: they permanently alter the eye lens by vaporizing tissue with the excimer laser.  The problem isn't the eye lens though: the problem is strain, as Bates said.  The strain still remains, which is why a lot of people regress back to blurry vision requiring glasses again.

The reason why I stopped arguing with you Tyler is because I got frustrated.  Bates explained his experiments VERY well in his book.  He explained that he used atropine to paralyze the eye lens without affecting accommodation, and that he was able to cut the extrinsic muscles of a rabbit and observe it lose its accommodative power (measured by the retinoscope).  Trust me, anyone with a retinoscope can observe the refractive state disappear when the person looks a a blank surface without trying to see.  All of this is very well explained in his book,  and I find it frustrating to argue with you because you refuse to look at the other side of the evidence.
Tyler, the current Hemholz theory of accommodation is about 70 years older than Bates', your eye doctors are using obsolete material.  The Helmholtz theory has never seriously been tested, until Bates, because it is accurate in explaining visual phenomena.  Bates' ideas are also accurate in explaining visual phenomena.

Bates did something very stupid:  The tried to publish his accommodation theory along with his eyesight improvement evidence.  The latter is what ODs had problems with, and naturally they refused to accept the former.

This is all irrevalent though mate.. Even if the ODs didnt accept it, such a miracle cure would be all over the media. The eye doctors would be pressured into changing the theory of accomodation if Bates really worked. It just seems like this is a nice idea that a lot of people wish was true but that's the end of it. 100 years on you'd think Bates would be mainstream.

If you guys gave me a routine to follow I could do it religiously then tell you if my sight has changed if you're so confident the method works.

Re: Noticed something today? - David - 05-02-2007

TylerDurden Wrote:Yeah, a deluded cult.

If the Bates method promised really small improvements to health i'd be ok with accepting it.. But something that says you can cure glaucoma and cataracts and other serious eye diseases, how could that be underground, restricted to a few forums, books and teachers? How? It just isn't possible. It would be all over the news if even one person cured his sight. The media could easily end the current system of accomodation in place of bates ideas overnight. That alone is enough to prove that everyone who thinks their sight is improved by bates is lying or deluded, or its pseudomyopia (or w/e the opthamologists call it)

I've spent months looking at the sites like surgical eyes and the forums.. Again, a small minority of people, maybe 300? As opposed to millions of happy people who have had Lasik. Sure they reshape the cornea but if they can restore eyesight in an instant it speaks a lot better for the medical profession than the bates teachers who can't even back up their claims and nobody knows about them. HOW does NOBODY know about this if its such a miracle cure? It just isn't possible.

Ok, I know you're young, but you're also very naive. I don't know what planet you live on, but this is not how this world works. You're describing some sort of fantasy world where everything good is adopted literally overnight, and where there is no such thing as apathy, inertia, politics, or closed-mindedness. You also didn't bother to look at any of the links in my last post, which just suggests to me for the umpteenth time that you don't read carefully.

As far as your attacks on me personally, you also must not have noticed that iblindness.org was running for 3 years before the store opened up, which again suggests that you don't look into things very well. You're still ignoring the fact that conventional eye care is a multi-billion dollar industry, even though it's been pointed out to you before, which again suggests that you're not reading carefully and not thinking reasonably, so I fail to see you offering any reasonable discussion. You've resorted to repeating the same things over and over instead of addressing people's counter-points.

Now, attacking the administrator of a forum you're choosing to participate in isn't respectful of the service that you're making use of, not to mention not very smart, but I might let it slide, and criticism of the Bates method is what this part of the forum is for. But when you start voluntarily attacking Christians as well, and affirm it again, you're provoking a flame war (FYI I'm not Christian). I have a feeling you're just going to continue lashing out at everyone in more threads, and I voiced my opinion before that you were not going to get anything useful out of this forum without some outside help, so I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Again, I understand that you're young, so I would welcome you back two years from now.

Dave

Re: Noticed something today? - Kazekage - 05-03-2007

Tyler,

Quote:What is sketching?

Firstly, sketching is really simple. The word sketching in art is when you draw on paper. Similarly, sketching in bates terms is when you use your eyes to pretend to sketch the surroundings. What I mean is that you go around edges and stuff, (but don't worry if you lose the edge, let your eyes be free) and you sketch all the details of stuff. For myopics, sketching is most beneficial when done on distant view (and vice versa for hypermetropics). You don't necessarily need to use an imaginary pencil of course. When I was learning to sketch I imagined that there was an electric bolt coming out of my eyes (or nose if you want), (kind of like those electric bolts that Darth Sidious can generate with his hands in those Star Wars movies (woah speaking of movies, Spiderman 3 is out! Have to go see it...)) and this electric bolt (I use an electric bolt because I find I can 'attach and connect' with a point in my view more better, and also the electric bolts in real life are always moving and have that kind of vibration thing) attaches to my surroundings. And I use that to sketch. I hope I've explained sketching thoroughly enough, and if you still don't understand it then reply.

Quote:And as for blinking.. Read this.

"Michio Kushi, the leading exponent of macrobiotics in the world, the founder of the East West Foundation and the Kushi Institute, and author of many books on health and diet, has some interesting things to say about eye blinking and health: "The standard speed of blinking is three times per minute, or once every twenty seconds. The less blinking the better. Blinking is closing the eyes more, which is a sign of excess yin [water in the body]. "A healthy person's eyes can go without blinking for many minutes; a baby hardly blinks at all. A person who blinks less is currently in a more active sharp condition, in both physical and mental character. "A person who blinks more than three times per minute is in a state of declining health, due to the consumption of excessive liquid, fruit and sugar.
"If blinking is abnormally frequent, a person is suffering from nervous disorders and is experiencing extreme sensitivity, fear and irritability. If we blink more and more we finally close our eyes and die."

Secondly, that nonsense you quoted about blinking is a load of rubbish. You can even try it now: don't blink for a long time and you will automatically find your vision is deterioriting by the second. Wait, actually, that guy got part of the truth; he said that there's a link between blinking and attentiveness. BUT he got it the wrong way round, in actual fact, more frequent blinking means greater attentiveness and less blinking means less alert. But yes if you blink too much then that isn't a good sign (more than a blink per second is what I would define as 'over-frequent blinking.) In the bates magazines it said something like: 'Blinking too frequently is just as bad as blinking not frequently enough. ' And have you ever noticed that when you started having eye troubles, before you got your first pair of glasses, your blinking might have become abnormal (you might have blinked too much or too little). But anyway, like I said below, 2-3 blinks every 10 seconds is fine. (A few blinks more or less depending on the situation - stressful situations mean you naturally blink more.) Also ENSURE that your blinking is LIGHT and SWIFT (that guy Quackenbush used a metaphor, describing that the motion of blinking should be similar to a butterfly's wings' movement.) According to Bates - BLINKING IS ONE OF THE BEST WAYS OF REDUCING MYOPIC ERROR.

Oh and you ask 'Why the &*$£& isn't Bates mainstream if it's so awesome?!'. Well, there are plenty of good answers for that, but I think that the best one is what Jonathan Barnes wrote in his book (can't be bothered to quote it right now, but it's from the beginning of his book on his chapter 'Why haven't I heard of Bates'. You have the book, so you can read it yourself.) Come to think of it what Paul said earlier pretty much gives you the gist of it.

Quote:Bates did something very stupid:  The tried to publish his accommodation theory along with his eyesight improvement evidence.  The latter is what ODs had problems with, and naturally they refused to accept the former.

Like Dave said:

Quote:I don't know what planet you live on, but this is not how this world works. You're describing some sort of fantasy world where everything good is adopted literally overnight, and where there is no such thing as apathy, inertia, politics, or closed-mindedness.

I'd just like to add, take a look at the problem of SMOKING. We KNOW that it causes immense lung damage, so why doesn't the Government just BAN CIGARETTES. You can work that one out I'm sure. (*Ka-ching Ka-ching*)

Quote:If you guys gave me a routine to follow I could do it religiously then tell you if my sight has changed if you're so confident the method works.

Okay and finally, you asked for a routine. Here is the KAZEKAZIAN OFFICIAL ROUTINE!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Stop wearing glasses. Yes, this will be very hard at first, but the longer you wear them the harder it will get. (And you're still relatively young.) As your vision restores, things will become easier.

- Palming every day, 10 times, for five minutes at a time. Though I don't reccommend following any strict routine as such, the best time to palm is when you feel you are straining.

- Make the habits I told you about HABITUAL. These are:

- Sketching (see above). Also when you are sketching make sure you sketch stuff in front of you AND to your right and left sides. I don't know how but this activates both sides of your brain. (Right side is creative thinking and stuff and left side is the logic stuff.) Follow this advice and you will NOTICE an increase in depth perception.
- Blinking - Blinking should be done 2-3 times every ten seconds. (Study other people's blinking habits. Observe the news reporters on news channels like BBC news, you will see that the person who does the talking always increases his blinking rate.
- Breathing - Don't constantly try to interfere with your natural breathing (as this could lead to strain, which isn't what we want), but every now and then practice correct breathing. Eventually it will become an unconscious habit.  Correct breathing means when you breathe in your stomach rises a lot first, and then your chest rises a bit, and when you breathe out your chest falls a bit, and then you stomach a lot. Observe a baby if you can't understand, because they usually have very good breathing.

- Your sleeping position/posture - Always sleep on your back, with the back straight, and don't sleep to the right or left side or on your face. Bates found that people who learned to sleep this way were able to go about their lives with much less hours of sleep than they had needed before. I also find I no longer need to sleep 8 hours, but I can go very well on just 5 hours if I sleep on my back.

- Spend more time outdoors and in the sun (sun=vitamin D = very good for eyes), and sketch at long distances Do this 20 minutes everyday. But don't spend too long, otherwise you could get skin cancer.

- Spend less time in front of the computer.

- Drink a minimum of 12 glasses (or about 2 litres) of water a day. Sip it, don't gulp it down (otherwise  it could be harmful to the liver). So that's around 1 glass per hour.

-  Build your Stamina - 20 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise a day, for example, 10 laps of sprinting around the block.

- Have a healthy diet. Make especially sure to have 5 fruits/vegetables a day. See my post 'Fruits that Heal' (haven't finished it yet)- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.php/topic,497.msg2219.html">http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.p ... g2219.html</a><!-- m --> . In addition, if you currently drink cow's milk, it's a good idea to switch to goat's milk. this is milder and suits the human body better.

- Night vision - Place an emphasis on eating foods with carotene. (Carrots are great)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go, that's MY official routine, and you know what, it took me from 20/200 to 20/30 in two months.  Follow that routine my friend, and give me feedback on your results. If after 1 week you are not seeing a very NOTICEABLE difference in your sight, then contact me (I will try to give you more advise.). If you need more help right now then we can talk on MSN, since you might not be allowed back here (for another 2 years).

-Kaze - P.S. Wow, this conversation has gone from 1 page to 3 pages in just one day!

Btw I read that BBC article you posted (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/series6/vision_correction.shtml">http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/ser ... tion.shtml</a><!-- m -->). It was interesting, and I think that she did get an improvement and WASN'T imagining it, but when she got to the testing room she must have begun straining again. Also, the article doesn't state whether Jess actually GAVE UP on glasses during that 3 month period. If she carried on wearing glasses, then yes, of course she's not going to get amazing results anytime soon.

Re: Noticed something today? - Otter - 05-05-2007

nutrition can also improve vision.  Blueberries have been used in the middle ages to improve eyesight.