MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re: The Long Swing - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re: The Long Swing - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Re: The Long Swing (/showthread.php?tid=442)

Pages: 1 2

Re: The Long Swing - David - 08-25-2007

SummonPrettyPeace Wrote:I'm confused. Is peripheral vision different than eccentric fixation?

The purpose of peripheral vision is to alert you of things that are there. Your eyes aren't designed to process the most detail from anything except one small point at a time.

David

Re: The Long Swing - Jason - 08-25-2007

SummonPrettyPeace Wrote:I'm confused. Is peripheral vision different than eccentric fixation?

Yes. Peripheral vision is anything outside your central vision, while eccentric fixation is where you force your eyes to see things in your peripheral field as well or even better than in the center or your vision. It's good to be aware of your peripheral vision, but never strain to see objects in your peripheral field as clear as if you were to look at them directly.

David Wrote:The purpose of peripheral vision is to alert you of things that are there. Your eyes aren't designed to process the most detail from anything except one small point at a time.

Exactly, and I'd like to add that the small point has to move to another point every fraction of a second, or things will start to blur.

xavier Wrote:I get giddy easily when swinging.
=x

You must not be doing it correctly. If you get dizzy then do it slower. When I do the long swing it takes me about 1.5 to 2 seconds to swing from right to left and vice versa. Also, take it easy and try to use as little effort as possible, while breathing deeply and continuously.

I find it a help to practice the long swing at 15 feet from the Snellen and imagine that the card or a letter is moving in the opposite direction to my movement.