MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
My vision can't improve.. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
My vision can't improve.. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: My vision can't improve.. (/showthread.php?tid=707)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: My vision can't improve.. - samsuda - 03-12-2008

I hav been doing stuff for bout a week now,,
nothing happened... yet???
Smile
Sam
Xx..
will keep posting
How long do you think it will take?
will still need to get a smellen chart.

Re: My vision can't improve.. - otis - 03-12-2008

Dear Sam,

It takes more that two weeks to clear your vision from 20/350.

Re: My vision can't improve.. - Urban - 03-12-2008

Samsuda, I would guess you are months and likely over a year away from a cure. You must stop focusing on the short term, you're probably decreasing your improvement.

Re: My vision can't improve.. - otis - 03-12-2008

Dear Sam,

No one can predict how long it will take to improve your Snellen. ???

But we can show that people at 20/60 to 20/100 have cleared their
Snellens in about six months -- as shown in this
preventive (and recovery) study conducted by Dr. Bates: Smile

Please note the initial Snellen, and the dates -- and the final Snellen.

You can not get results in one week.

Otis

===========

The Method

Reprinted from the New York Medical Journal for August 30, 1913.

MYOPIA PREVENTION BY TEACHERS.

By W. H. BATES, M.D.,

New York

The Snellen test card, while being of use for testing the acuity of vision, was found also during the past ten years to be the best distant object for exercises in distant vision. It should be memorized and thus made a familiar distant object. After its daily use for half a minute or longer myopia was prevented; and, in addition the vision of many pupils with defective sight was improved for an unfamiliar Snellen card, for writing and figures on the blackboard, and for other distant objects. Furthermore, near vision was benefited by the use of the Snellen card. Many pupils stated that they could study their lessons with less or no discomfort.

Myopia prevention was introduced in Public Schools Nos. 6, 183, and 186 of New York city January, 1912; later, Public Schools Nos. 46 and 43 tested the method.

THE METHOD.

A Snellen test card was placed permanently where all the pupils could see it from their seats. Daily the teachers recommended all the children to silently read the card with each eye separately, covering the other eye with the palm of the hand in such a way as to avoid pressure on the eyeball.

Records were made with the same card or with an unfamiliar card for testing the vision. This matter is discussed below. Each line of the Snellen card is designated by a number which indicates the feet that the line should be read by the normal eye. Records of the vision are written in the form of a fraction: The numerator of the fraction represents the distance in feet of the pupil from the card while the denominator denotes the number which designates the lowest line read. Records were usually submitted as follows:

Public School No. 46, W. A. Boylan, principal.

E. 6A., J. Hiesel. T., 27

D., 27
I., 27
N., 25
W., 0

February, 1913. April, 1913. June, 1913.

Right eye -- Left Eye

Feb: John D. ...... 20/100 20/50

April: 20/50 20/40

June: 20/20 20/20

Feb: Sanford G. ... 20/50 27/70

April: 20/30 20/40

June: 20/15 20/20

==================

Your results may be different as people react
differently to these methods. Smile

Otis

Re: My vision can't improve.. - cheletwin2 - 03-16-2008

2I haven't posted in a long time, I have many things going on in my life, but wanted to let you know that my vision was worse than yours. I have no way of actuallyjudging since, as you say, the snellen doesn't go that large. I have found a website to download the snellen, I think it is batesmethod.com, if that is not right, google bates method. You don't need any specific exercises to improve your vision, the key is relaxation. I think rolling your eyes is great, it teaches you not to keep your eyes sitll and stare. And, those of you who have not done it, would be amazed at how stiffy our eyes are. I have improved my vision by about 0.5 to 1.0 a year for the last two years (my vision started at -5.5, which i somewhere around 20/500 and am now at -4.5). The more time I spend on it, the faster it gets better. Going without vision correction is not a possibilty for me since I spend so much time on the road or making visual observations abuot a site, including wildlife, plant health, looking for stains, etc. Also, shifting can be done anytime, anywhere. The thumb exercise sounds like a modified version of shifting. In the classroom, trace the chalckboard, or shift from word to word, sit up front and where the weakest eyeglasses you can (purchase reuced prescriptions from zennioptical.com) if you must where them, just stong enough to see only what you need. Where glasses only while in class or driving, no other time. Swinging is meant for relaxation, treat it as ameditation. Breath deeply, focus inward, feel your muscles relaxing (your sinuses will clear if you do it right). This is great fr any aches or stiffness you may have. I have changed my approach on vision improvement to a whole body approach. Everything is connected. for example, spin your ankle to the right while rotating your head to the left, its hard, they want to do the same thing. If one is tense, so is the other. If your brain is stressed (exams, etc) then so will your eyes stress and tense.

Re: My vision can't improve.. - samsuda - 03-30-2008

Hello again all,
thank you for alll your postings and sites requests... guess what? I actually had a clar flash once when i was in the car, on th way to school in the morning. Because in the morning, i usually do sunning in the car ( i love the sun in the morning, and sunning really works for me.) and right after I did sunning, I looked at the clock, and i saw the numbers pretty clear! anyways, I always do swings and stuff in the car and palming too. I got a smellen chart yesterday and spent about an hour on it.. and first, i saw the top two line.. but as i practiced more and more, I actually saw a little of the fourth line... ;D .. which is pretty good,and I am well happy =), I will keep u guys update with my progress and things as my eyes recover, even if it takes years <3
tak to u alll later.
Bye
Xx...
P.S well, when i say that i saw a little of the forth line, meaning, when i focus on a letter on the third line and open my eyes, i will see a little of my forth line.. but if i go and just look at the chart now, it will be blurry ... still,,,, takes practice =)

Sam
Xx O0

Re: My vision can't improve.. - otis - 03-30-2008

Dear Sam,

Subect: Special Request.

Not all Snellens are labled the same.

We would like to follow your progress if possible. When you say the 8 line,
or the 4 line, that could mean anything.

If you could report what you see at 20/60 or 20/40. That would help all of
us rejoyce in you success.

Also, you can check your Snellen. The 20/60 line should be 1 inch high.

Just being supportive, Smile

Otis

Re: My vision can't improve.. - samsuda - 04-03-2008

Thank you,
well, at the end of each line, it say thing like : 6/60 , 6/36, 6/24 and things ( 6/60 is the highest line). How do you change that into 20/20 thing? Can you pplease teach me how to convert it? And plus, the light in the room really effects hhow many lines I see, if it is dark(er) then I can see not as many lines, if I want to know how exactly my vision are at, how am I suppose to know how much light I need in the room.

Since, it is 6/60 and all this, do i still stand 20 feet away from it?

Oh by the way, by saying that I can see 4 lines, i did not do it from 20 feet away, if it was that far, i doo not think I can see any lines, so I will move back futhur as i go on.. is that okay?

But my vision really seems clearer! I can hardly believe! and I do not feel tired as easy ( my eyes).

I better check soon if it had improved, maybe tonight if I hav time.

Wish you all good luck too!
Sam
Xx... ;D

Re: My vision can't improve.. - otis - 04-03-2008

Dear Sam,

20 / 20 means that at

20 feet -- You can read 3/8 inch letters.

6 meters is approximately 20 feet.

6 / 6 means that at

6 meters you can read 0.9 cm letters.

If you can, you should always read the Snellen at 20 feet.

A good check, is to measure the 20/60 line. If
it is 1 inch high, then the chart is correct for 20 feet.

If you have a 10 foot chart, then the letters will be
reduced by 1/2.

Thus the at 10 feet, 10/30 would mean
reading 1/2 inch letters correctly.

Thus 10/30 is APPROXIMATELY the same at 20/60.

Hope this clarifies this issue. Smile

Otis

Re: My vision can't improve.. - samsuda - 04-06-2008

dear all,
I have moved my smellen chart, so now, I am able to stand 20 feet away from it. And infact, i have made some improvements that I would consider a huge success! That is... some times after I close my eyes and swing for about 10 sec and open them or after i concentrate on the letters, I can see the 3rd line -> beside the 3rd line, it is written 6/24 ... which I concluded that it meant 20/240 (?) please correct me if I am wrong.. but if I did not concentrate on the letters, i would only be able to see the top line and the second one down (very blurry)...I really really appreciate the help you guys have given me, courage, tips and etc. I will still report u with further improvements... I am happy with my progress ^-^

Sam
Xx...

Re: My vision can't improve.. - samsuda - 04-09-2008

Can sumone please answer my question about the light in the room and how much light I am suppose to have. Because it really depends on the light, if there are lots of lights in the room, I can see more clearly, So I really want to know, but I really ffeel that my eyes are much healthier, coz today I had to work about 4 hourse on the computer, and I blinked and did exercises along the way and kept looking sum where else and they only feel a little bit tired, not VERY DIZZY and etc, like I used to get... so , good news!

I try to do eyes excercises as often as possible =)
Sam
Xx... >Big Grin

Re: My vision can't improve.. - angela - 04-09-2008

samsuda Wrote:I can see the 3rd line -> beside the 3rd line, it is written 6/24 ... which I concluded that it meant 20/240 (?) please correct me if I am wrong..
6/24 is the same as 20/80
To convert, you divide both numbers by 6 (which represents metres) and multiply by 20 (which is the same distance measured in feet). Technically the top number should be the distance you are standing and the bottom number is the furthest distance at which a person with "normal" (ie 20/20 or 6/6) vision would be able to see that line.
Angela

Re: My vision can't improve.. - samsuda - 04-10-2008

Thanks Angela =)
Peoples umm i think my vision is a little bit worst now .. it is possible? I thought by reading the smellen everyday keeps your vision the same, but I used to be able to see the tope two lines and now, I can hardly see them, is it because I do the excercises too often ?? lol, is that possible? Coz this morning I spent nearly 3 hours on the smellen chart + other excerccises and etc =), I just feel good when i do them, so I like doing them, it is school holiday here atm, so yeah ... and plus that light problem that I am having , light is really important to me... how much light should I hav???? because it really affects my vision....please answer that question for me,
thanks,
Sam
Xx...

Re: My vision can't improve.. - samsuda - 04-10-2008

WOW! dat means sumtimes i can see 20/80? that is pretty good !
thank you so much
Sam
Xx...

Re: My vision can't improve.. - Urban - 04-10-2008

I'll just say this first, please try to use proper English Samsuda. If you make mistakes accidentally, thats ok, everyone makes mistakes, but urposeful disregard for proper writing only makes your post difficult read. It also makes you stick out like a sore thumb on these boards and frankly labels you unflatteringly.

On to the actual help part of this post, you're trying to control your vision too much. I'm not kidding when I say your progress should be measured in weeks and months. Your day to day vision will fluctuate significantly based on many different factors (for example: stress, lighting, amount of practice, diet, sleep, etc) and worrying about losing a few lines will only make you lose more.

As for lighting, practice with as much or as little light as you need. Increasing the intensity of the light usually helps to temporarily clear your vision and I think that it is good to practice with a lot of light. Additionally, many people including myself believe that sunlight is very good for your eyes, so if possible you should try practicing outside during the day. Above all else though, I think that if you're trying to measure your progress you should make sure that the lighting you use is constant so that you aren't getting wrong feedback as to which techniques are working for you.