MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 (/showthread.php?tid=8)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - clarknight - 11-03-2008

Everything moves together.
See diagram for long swing http://www.cleareyesight.info navagation page 18.

I keep posting a explaination for this person but twice it has not been published.

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - clarknight - 11-03-2008

I keep hitting the wrong button.
Will try later.

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - harold08 - 11-14-2008

Do most people swing indoor or outdoor? i think it could be more beneficial when doing it outside. But these days, i am unable to because the days are becoming shorter which means less sunlight. No time to swing outdoor after school. What do you guys suggest?

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - harold08 - 01-03-2009

If someone finds that swinging softly *with eyes closed is more relaxing than *eyes open, should one practise it? I mean, people should do what is most comfortable for them, right?

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - sorrisiblue - 03-12-2009

Hi Harold,

Just saw your last questions! Practice the swing when you have time and where you have space and feel comfortable! There are no rules except to relax. It's the same answer for eyes closed or open. I find it useful to try many different situations, and see which one improves my sight the most, then I know the answer to which one is best for me. Don't be afraid to try! I finally learned to gain benefit from swinging by swinging at work just to relax myself. I didn't do it with the purpose of improving my eyesight, and as a result, it improved my eyesight because I simply relaxed.

I swing until I feel relaxed, then I keep swinging to enjoy it longer. I know I've done it long enough to get benefit if my shoulders are relaxed afterwards and my eyes stop catching on things when I look around. Whether I'm turrnng my whole body or swaying, I just follow my torso, and don't really make any other effort. So my head stays aligned, my eyes stay soft and just imagine everything moving, and my arms hang loose.

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - blauw - 05-05-2009

Another forum based on the Bates Method also has a couple posts about the Long Swing. And in those posts it mentions the Motion Blur. Does anyone have any idea how to achieve the motion blur exactly? I hear its let go and not focus on anything ??? ??? thanks for any feedback.

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - Nancy - 05-05-2009

The motion blur was talked about a little while back on Robert Lichtman's Effortless Vision forum so if you search there you might find some helpful information. Basically you want your eyes to move freely as your head moves, & not get "stuck" trying to keep the world from moving. Think of being a kid & twisting up the swing, & riding it going around & around & around as it unwinds, while the world swirls past.

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - clarknight - 05-05-2009

Eyes, head/face, body move togehther, same time, same direction.

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - blauw - 05-05-2009

Oh so not having your eyes try to lock on to point to point just kind of move around like a camera in a half circle sort of motion???

Thank you guys for your help.

I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkJn9T_Eq-U&feature=related

is that video a good representation of the long swing?

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Jan 2011 - JMartinC4 - 01-04-2011

I think I have an important improvement to the swing, one which Dr. Bates may have overlooked as too obvious. But 100 years later, it was not obvious to me until I noticed it. Since it is not mentioned in any of the previous entries to this topic, I submit my findings:

1. For the swing to be most effective, the eyes have to be properly aligned to the surrounding light source(s).
2. To find the proper alignment for yourself, take the position as David has described it (back straight, feet apart, etcetera), and first stand in front of a mirror close enough to observe your corneas and pupils. (if outdoors, you'll probably need an observer/spotter to assist you with this.)
3. Tilt your head/neck/torso and widen your eyelids until you (or the spotter) can see the highlight/glare reflections off of each cornea, above each pupil. Hold that position. (If outside, have an observer/spotter tell you when you are correctly positioned.)
4. Now step back from the mirror, maintaining that position, and begin the swing per David's description.

Rationale: For the swing to be fully effective, the light source(s) have to be correctly entering/stimulating the eyes/retinas. I believe most nearsighted people tend to keep their eyes slightly shaded from the light by drooping either their heads or their eyelids.
Caution: If done correctly, this may produce a temporary illusory projection of your shadowy blindspot map, which should be ignored. Pay attention to the increased clarity instead.

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - Pikachu - 01-04-2011

Well, it certainly can't hurt. If nothing else, it promotes good posture. I'll give it a try, although I should say that I likely won't be "paying attention" to anything. My relaxation is greatest when I don't focus on anythign while I swing.

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - otto - 01-10-2011

Some thoughts and questions about my experience with the long swing:
I have had some benefits from the long swing but generally get more out of a medium swing or short swing. Often the swing goes wrong for me in that I try to see the oppositional movement and things start sliding in such a way that makes me nauseous and dizzy and want to close my eyes. It's possible that I am locking my eyes when this happens. It seems like my whole view is sliding by as a 2-dimensional screen.
Recently, I've tried to only attend to the things/details that I see most clearly as my point of focus swings by them and notice, specifically, those things moving in the opposite direction. This may not be ideal but it keeps me from locking my eyes and trying to see everything at once. Is this the wrong approach even though it works better for me? It seems that trying to see everything moving at once is often my automatic reaction to the practice of swinging.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I just do what works for me?
Does it make sense to allow the eyes to be a perfect steady laser beam that cuts across the room? It seems that some are advocating that kind of smoothness as being correct. Doesn't the eye move in saccades(saccade: ORIGIN: early 18th cent.: from French, literally ‘violent pull,’ :o from Old French saquer ‘to pull.’-Google Dictionary), anyways, and not in long smooth movements?
I feel like I'm getting mentally hung-up on something here and need to put some nagging questions to rest.
Dave? Anyone?

Re: Method of the Month - Long Swing - Dec 2004 - David - 01-10-2011

People with normal vision's eyes don't glide smoothly. They jump around from target to target. But in doing this your head or body should move smoothly, or more slowly. But the purpose of doing the long swing isn't to find a bunch of targets for the eyes to jump around across, so really this is one of those things that's useful for people who just can't relax at all and need some way to relieve some of their constant tension that they have whenever their eyes are open. It's natural to lock onto things, but people with vision problems do so for too long with their attention over too wide an area, and that's hard to overcome immediately, so it seems like a useful step to *at first* learn to not pay attention to what they're seeing in order to dislodge some of the tension, and then proceed to start over with a process in learning to see correctly.