MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Method of the Month - Swing Variations - Jan 2005

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Method of the Month - Swing Variations - Jan 2005
The following discussion took place on the 'batesmethod' Yahoo Group. It is copied here so members of this forum have a chance to read it and even continue the discussion.

Date:  Sun Jan 16, 2005  7:10 pm
Subject:  Method of the Week - swing variations

(posted on behalf of David Burke)
(different David than me)

Hi all,

This topic is related to swinging and variations. Once of my
references is "12 Weeks to Better Vision" by Barbara
Hughes, (Pinnacle Books, 1981). Barbara is a student of Janet
Goodrich. (Has anybody out these used this particular program or
familiar with this book?). In her 12 week program, Barbara starts
off with the long swing in week 1 and develops this into many
variations over the remaining 11 weeks such as: corridor swing,
conversation swing, driving swing, yardstick swing; and for
children, elephant swing and bag-of-gold swing. So my main question
is: Does anyone have and experience or other comments on these
variations of the basic swing? Do they help add variation to the
swing (so you don't get bored) or do they progressively improve your
ability to relax?

David Burke

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:  Mon Jan 17, 2005  9:53 pm
Subject:  Re: Method of the Week - swing variations

"The long swing does not usually give complete relief of pain, but
it paves the way to the practice of the short swing, which is a
greater relief." - Bates

It seems to me that Bates came up with variations of it because
people weren't all helped by the same type. It all depends on what
they find most natural. I remember reading about how he came up with
the drifting swing when a patient wasn't helped by anything else and
he was stumped. And the elliptical swing was developed when he had a
patient that kept staring at each end of a swing. I would think the
infinity swing developed from that.

They're all slightly different ways of stimulating the sensation of
movement. Ultimately the point is to encourage you to see all the
time without rigidity so that the eyes can continually make lots of
little movements. But the little movements can't be forced, which is
why the practice has to do with a general acceptance of continual
movement and the consequences of it.

Dave

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:  Tue Jan 18, 2005  7:46 am
Subject:  RE: [Bates] Method of the Week - swing variations

Hi David B,

I think the underlying question is: 'Why is it good to see a swing at all?'

The way I approach it, it's important to see things moving all day long.
Movement is what the eyes receive in every waking moment, in the form of
constantly changing light on the surface of the retina. It never stops.

The mind under a strain is able to convince itself that movement is not there,
to the extent that it feels like a weird idea to suggest it is, and even
weirder to show the mind how it can be.

Consequently most people take any swing exercise and apply it for a few
minutes, then say "It doesn't work, my eyes are not seeing better". They do
not realise that the 'exercise' is a step to the raising of awareness, that
the awareness has to be allowed to happen, and continued constantly - regular
reminders of more swings are helpful.

Barbara Hughes' variations are simply ways of giving you opportunities to use
the swing in other situations. It's easy to lose track when all you've tried
is a long swing in a safe room. As such, all the variations, while they may
give alternative strain release, most importantly help you keep alive the
awareness that movement of light on your retina is constant and will always be
there for your consciousness when you allow it.

Yes - the movement of the light on the retina is constant and a fact, and
seeing it is simple reality. If you don't see it, you're not in reality. That
is why it is good to see a swing.

Ciao,
Kevin
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I think I have found a simple improvement to the Long Swing. I think the simple improvement does (at least) three things:
1) improves coordination and synchronization of the eyes (which is already a byproduct of the long swing - which seems originally designed as a method of stimulating proper eye movement);
2) engages the optic chiasm to help equalize the visual images from the eyes; and
3) helps train the brain/mind to reconnect with the clear foveal images, leading to a better unified visual system.

Here is the improvement:
1. Instead of swinging in a 180 degree arc, begin extending the arc, aiming at a full 360 degree visual arc.
2. Find an interesting object in either your left periphery or your right periphery.
3. Position yourself so that when you finish the 1st half of the swing you are looking at the object, then swing back - all the way - and finish the 2nd half of the swing so that you are again looking at the object, from the opposite perspective.
4. Repeat. Continue as long as you have time and interest for.

That's it. This method helps counter eye dominance, equalizing and improving the unity of the visual system.
Interesting. Let's do it!
DaniFixe Wrote:Interesting. Let's do it!
Great. After identifying an 'interesting object', we need to then stand with the object directly behind us - that way, when we finish the 1st half of the swing, we are pointed at it, with one eye having been the 'leader', and then when we swing back all the way around, we are again pointing at the object, but this time the other eye is the leader! We are teaching our eyes to share the dominance - to cooperate - to coordinate - to equalize - to synchronize.
So,i should focus on those objects when i swing?
DaniFixe Wrote:So,i should focus on those objects when i swing?
Hmm.... Trial and Error. So for instance, since coming up with this idea, I have tested it using my cat as the 'object' - with excellent results. I have tested it using a mirror - with excellent results. I have tested it using my 40" HDTV and a swivelling office chair - with excellent results.
But that's just me - or is it?
"focus on those objects" = what?
It is more important, I think, to shift your mental attention to the leading eye on each 1/2 swing.
The most important thing about this method, I think, is learning to use both eyes equally, and to fully (re)activate the optic chiasm.
Is it working?

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download