MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Eyes differ in power... how do I go about this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eyes differ in power... how do I go about this?
Hi,

I just found out about the Bates method the other day, downloaded the fellas book... and just reading his concepts, I'm already a believer. Big Grin

The thing is I have a power of -2.5 in one eye and -5.5 in the other. Big difference, yes? Anyways, I read the chapter on central fixation, printed myself an eye chart and started... fixating. Now, I have a question: If there's anyone who has a condition similar to mine or who has any advice anyway... could you recommend whether it would be better to fixate separately for each eye... or should I do both together?

Separately makes sense, but I feel doing them together has some kind of benefit too.

Also, if I do them separately, I take it that I should stand at the maximum distance at which each eye can read comfortably? Am I correct or does maximum distance not matter all that much and its just about fixing upon a particular point at a time that matters more?

Gracious would be the person who would take a little time out to enlighten me. Smile
Seeing at the distance and nearpoint are exactly the same as far as the act of looking. Or at least they are when done right. Your eyes do the converging and focusing all on their own, correctly, only when you don't try to do it.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Thanks for your reply David... you're right. Distance doesn't matter, its all in the method of how we look at things.
Hi Dusty,

In Dr. Bates's magazines, he frequently recommends that when one first looks at the chart, to look with the left eye by covering the right, then the right by covering the left, and then together. I write down these measurements, but don't fall into the trap of thinking it's a test. Then practice one of Dr. Bates's methods, it seems you are working on central fixation, so do that, noticing the effect on how well you can read the chart. You can do it again both eyes separately and then together if you feel that is helpful and relaxing. I write this down as well. I do this twice per day, every day. My vision fluctuates quite a lot, within one day I may see as well as 20/40 and as poorly as 20/100. The point isn't to be discouraged about any 'low' readings or to try to always improve on previous good readings, but to observe what you can do by using the Bates method or any other relaxation technique to improve your eyesight, whatever it may be at that time. Sometimes, I won't be able to read another line on the Snellen chart after practicing the swing, for example, but I will notice that what I can see has a better quality. The Snellen chart is wonderful for this because you immediately see the effect of anything you change (breathing, blinking, staring, etc). Over time, the eyes will gradually learn to unconsciously use what you have learned from the Snellen chart the whole day. Also, over time, by keeping these notes on what techniques improve my eyesight, I'm better able to see patterns as to what helps my eyesight the most.

Best wishes,
Sorrisi
Thanks for your helpful insight, Sorrisi. I've begun to do each of my eyes separately and then together as well. I need to do them separately because I suspect my right eye suffers from the 'lazy eye' syndrome. That would explain why it's power has been increasing steadily over the years (I've never been a fan of glasses either so it's probably my fault too). It needs individual attention or else my left'll be doing all the work.

Anyway, I feel that I am able to see my absolute best with both eyes open and since I'll be looking at the world with both of them, they should be trained to see perfectly together. I've started keeping a diary of my own to record daily measurements and make note of patterns that suit me best.

I've been palming for a few days and no matter where I am or what I do, I try to remember what my eyes feel like when I palm and I try to keep them in that state. If I'm outside, looking at a wall and my sight wanders over to a billboard, I'm able to feel my eyes suddenly strain and I immediately pull away to something nearby, take a deep breath and and attempt to look at the billboard again. And then, repeat. Difficult, but not impossible.

But Sorrisi, just out of curiosity... since you say that on some days you can see well, and others not so much... have you gone to an eye doctor and have him/her tell you that indeed your vision is now a solid <insert number here> where it used to be <insert number here> previously?
Hey Dusty, It sounds like you're on your way to learning the method well.

I have a thread on the success stories forum and on my blog I've kept records. Last November the same optometrist confirmed that my eyesight improved 0.5 D over the course of 1 year. Besides that, even my lowest visual accuity now is better than my best visual accuity when I started. So although fluctuations in visual accuity are high, I have had permanent improvement to my visual accuity without glasses. The 0.5 D improvement from the optemetrist is perhaps representative of the improvement to my lowest level of vision I ever experience.

I can definitely tell the difference, when I started I wouldn't leave my room without glasses. I now ride my bike without glasses comfortably, I can read licence plates without glasses (which my optometrist would say is impossible with my prescription by the way) and see tons of other details without glasses that I definitely couldn't a year and a half ago when I started. I don't remember my exact prescription, check my timeline page on my blog around November of 2008 for all the precise numbers!

I can tell you one thing - diopters and Snellen chart readings don't really correspond well. Plus, I've seen a much bigger improvement practically than 0.5 D would suggest!

better go,
Sorrisi
I'm glad you've been so successful. I visited your blog and the fact that you can ride a bike with your 'prescription' is amazing. My right eye couldn't even dream of it. It definitely seems a lot more improvement than a 0.5 D would suggest. Wish you a clear flash at your next chart reading at the optometrist's Smile

Well, with the help of my left eye, the Bates method has helped me to 'see' where I once only looked. 3 years of getting a ride to work everyday... and only in the past few days have I actually attempted to read the numerous signboards and noticed so much detail on the way. I've had so many 'Was that really there before?' and 'Oh, is that what is says' moments that right now, I'm just happy noticing things. My vision would previously just plod around, taking in chunks at a time of which only half would register.

Also, I used to get up in the mornings with my eyes straining like crazy. I'd spend the first 15 minutes getting ready with my eyes half-closed as they would hurt to open due to the terrible strain (which I attributed to my dry eyes). It's a great feeling to wake up and have my eyes feel as fresh as daisies.

I'm developing a lot more than just better vision here. Haha, I now consider clear eyesight a bonus.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now