MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Letting my weaker eye catch up to my stronger eye, etc

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letting my weaker eye catch up to my stronger eye, etc
Hi everyone.

I am practicing the "The Secret of Perfect Vision" technique. He doesn't say much about how to get your weaker eye as strong as your stronger eye. When I practice reading at a distance and clearing by blinking after staring bug-eyed, one eye can see a lot more than the other (right eye is about -4.75 and left eye is about -3.75 or so).

I read once that getting a pair of glasses that corrected my weaker eye more than my stronger eye (thus, making my weaker eye the stronger eye) would allow it to heal faster and be relied on more.

Has anyone tried this?

Do any of you have any tips on how to get your weaker eye up to snuff?

I have tried patching my stronger eye and reading with my weaker eye but it is a big strain. I also just watch the world go by with my eye patched.

I have seen some improvement in my vision since getting a pair of weak computer glasses and wearing them most of the time (or nothing at all when I can get away with it). My 20/40-ish glasses are much clearer than they used to seem so it seems time to get more. Stress always makes my vision worse, though, and so does darker lighting.

Thanks for any help you can give. I am about to order more glasses from Zenni and want to know what RX I should go for this time.
My own left eye is about 1 diopter "weaker" (really more strained) than my right most times, & can be as much as 3 diopters weaker if I'm stressed. It seems to be the one that gets frightened more easily. All my glasses have an equal correction in both lenses, & I go without glasses most of the time except when I'm driving. I occasionally patch my stronger right eye & do the chart just with the left weaker one, but usually do the chart with both eyes together. My uncorrected vision right now is probably about 20/70 or a bit better & varies a lot. I used to wear -10 contacts at all times.

What caught my attention in your post was
Quote:I have tried patching my stronger eye and reading with my weaker eye but it is a big strain.
This tells me your left eye is straining more than the right, which is my situation too, & the strain shows up in a stronger prescription. Be gentle with the left eye & invite it to participate in seeing rather than forcing it to "shape up". Make sure you're aware of the periphery on that side. Also pay attention to your body balance -- I'm guessing you're right-handed & do most things with that side of your body, so make sure the left side (the eye too) is included.

Last point: "staring bug-eyed" doesn't sound like much fun to me -- I can feel the strain when I just think about it. That said, I'm glad for you that you're seeing improvement from the weaker glasses. Consider doing as much as you can without glasses at all, as long as you're safe (i.e. driving) & not straining.
Thanks, Nancy! Wow, you have come such a long way! I would LOVE to hear more about what you're doing. -10 in each eye before - wow. I am seriously inspired and impressed.

My right eye is weaker than my left, which is weird since I am right handed. I read once that a weaker right eye indicates "mother" issues in childhood, but who knows. I like your idea of wearing the same RX in each eye. It seems simpler. I already got rid of the astigmatism RX (which was minor and only on my left eye) and haven't missed it.

I just subscribed to your blog. I love dreams, too, and have been a lucid dreamer all my life. Cool! I think your blog will be really interesting.

Thank you so much for replying.

-Jennifer
Have you tried switching close and far with one eye at a time?
Shift on a close object, then a distant object beyond the close object, then shift on the close object again. Repeat.
Blink, relax, no effort, use central fixation; shift from point to point.
Practice with both eyes, then one eye at a time, then both together again.
Practice extra time with the less clear eye.
See Switching, navagation pages: 13,14,15 http://www.cleareyesight.info
Less clear vision in one eye, imperfect convergence, accommodation, un-convergence (divergence), un-accommodation is often the main cause of unclear vision.
Get this going correct and the rest of the activities (shifting...) in the Bates method will maintain it easily.
Thank you Clark!
clarknight Wrote:[color=#0000FF]Have you tried switching close and far with one eye at a time?

I haven't tried that very much, but I will now. Thank you very much.

So, that said, would it be okay for me to get a pair of glasses with the same diopter correction in both eyes? I am thinking of getting -3 in each eye since my computer glasses (-3 and -2.25) are a touch weak for most things.

Thanks again.
Having different strengths of lenses in the left and right eyes greatly unbalances the visual system, left and right brain hemispheres, visual cortex, eye muscle function with the left and right eyes.
This can impair convergence... and clarity.
Yes, reduced strength lenses to 20/40 clarity on the 40 line on the eyechart, equal strenght in left and right lenses is best.

I was reading in Harold Peppards old book about a man experiencing vision improvement with Bates method. He was prescribed weaker lenses.
Vision was good, comfortable, then after a while of practice with Bates method the glasses were uncomfortable and vision unclear through the lenses.
His vision improved so much that he needed a more reduced, weaker pair of lenses.
He went through 3 pair of reduced lenses as his vision was improving.
He wore the glasses as little as possible and obtained clear vision without glasses.
Thanks, Clark! My -3 glasses will start off being less than 20/40, but that's okay with me. It's so variable that I can't tell what my 20/40 would be now. I have a pair of -2.25 and -3 and I looked through the -3 with my stronger eye and I am pretty sure I could drive like that. I still have my other 20/40's from earlier if I need to drive (they used to be way too weak to drive but now they work well). My eye doctor last year was open to giving me a 20/40 RX but was very vague about it, saying it didn't matter since it was only for around the house. I let him think that as it was easier to deal with him that way.

Anyway, thank you.
I am like that guy who went through 3 pairs of reduced lenses. When I drive I have the next stronger pair within easy reach on the seat beside me, & I usually don't need them. I keep all my glasses (4 or 5 pairs) in the center console of the car because I only use them to drive, & have them labeled on the outer case with the prescription so I can keep them straight. On the recent drive up to the Eyebody workshop, I wore -2 most of the way, them switched to -2.75 when it got very dark & rainy. On the way home my -2 pair was plenty & I took them off for a few seconds every chance I got. Remembering that I wore -10 hard contacts all day long for years & years makes me feel like I've been let out of prison.
Weaker than 20/40, like 20/50 is even better if you avoid using effort to see.
Keep shifting, relaxed, correct vision habits when wearing the glasses.

Nancy sounds like shes got it all secured just right!
How were the Eyebody lessons?
Can you open another topic on it and tell us what you liked?
Clark, I wrote a long post about Eyebody on my blog today & have already gotten some comments, plus comments on the previous entry, a dream I had while I was away (the comments here were from folks who were waiting for a post on Eyebody). I sure don't feel like an expert at this system at all, but I believe it has a lot of merit & can help me to further improve.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now