MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Wow - where to start?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow - where to start?
Hi all,

I am so excited about this method to correct vision! The short of it;

I use glasses for reading fine print & I notice that I need more light than I used to.
My 16 yr. old son has just been diagnosed w/ nearsightedness. I looked at the Bates method book, & unfortunately do not have a spare $149.00 to spend right now in this economy... Sad

Upon looking at the free download version, I see that it is 335 pages. I can't see any teenager investing the time to read through all of that, but we are going to give it a go.

We do have pinhole glasses, so I guess we will start on that route for now. I confess, I have only skimmed the book thus far; are pinhole glasses covered in the Bates method book?

Tips/suggestions from any in a similar situation? As far as we're concerned, glasses are not an option! Easiest way to go about this & keeping a teen interested? Now, please don't misunderstand; I am not looking for a shortcut or easy way out really, but simply want to make the best use of our time with recommendations from folks who have "been there, done that".

I hope to become a regular poster on the forums & report our progress. It will be exciting to see changes in our vision!

Thank you all very much!
Cheers! Smile
Dear Jusercat,

Dr. Bates did not cover pin- hole glasses in his book.

Here is a site that sells them -- and has some additional information on myopia prevention.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.myopia.org/">http://www.myopia.org/</a><!-- m -->

Best,
http://cleareyesight.info/id36.html

Alternative to minus lens and plus lens therapy.
Scroll to bottom of page.
Zoom picture to read article.
Thanks all for replying!

I did read the articles, we have already decided not to use reading/other glasses.

clarknight - were you referring to the use of pinhole glasses as well? We were going to use them in addition to the Bates method, but don't want to be wasting our time with something that would not be recommended.

I understand Dr. Bates does not cover them in his book...

Guess what we are looking for is a "condensed" version of the Bates method alternative to reading all 335 pages. Time is short upon heading back to school for him, & we need to get rolling on the therapy/exercises right away.
Pinholes block alot of healthy sunlight and complete correct use of the eyes; perfect shifting, central fixation.
They can be carried in the pocket to use in emergency to read a distant sign... to prevent squinting, but after reading the sign, take them off.
My uncle uses them when his vision is low after a high stress workday to read the tv channel guide from 10 feet.
Then takes them off to watch tv.
He also practices shifting, central fixation on the guide and most of time his vision is very clear.

You can copy/paste text, pictures free from my website.
Everything is in color pictures, so easy for kids to learn.
More pictures to be added this and next year. Videos also on Youtube.

I cured my distant vision in high school by using shifting and switching on close and far objects and doing this to improve less clear vision in left eye.
Often a kid will have less clear vision in one eye and improving vision to equal clear in both eyes with the methods shown will greatly improve the vision, makes all of Bates method easy, quick results.
Shift, central fixation on a distant object, then shift, central fixation on a close object. Repeat.
Both eyes, one eye at a time, both eyes.
Use shifting and other correct vision habits all the time as easy, automatic habits. No squinting, straining, staring, effort to see.
Shift nice and easy.
Practice on a familiar object: eyechart at various distances.

It wil be alot easier for him to sit closer to the blackboard while his vision is improving. Talk to the teacher.
Dear JucerKatz,

Subject: Long-term study of Bates.

No one can totally "condense" what Bates said. But I would like to emphasize what he did -- and suggested.

You say $149 for your last exam, and I would suggest probably a very strong, over-prescribed minus lens.

My last "encounter" with an OD, was a $430 charge -- and a lens that was the wrong power.

What Bates recommended what that you (or the students) setup and read their Snellen. I think David has a FREE source of these charts.

Put it up in sunlight and determine which line you can read 1/2 the letters correctly.

Then post them back here on i-blindness -- and we can help you with some of these issues. Here is an easy Snellen to use (although not as good as a paper chart on the wall at 20 feet.

Just click here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

And then on "Display" several times -- to get the "idea".

The distance is 20 feet. If you can't get back that far, then just type in 10 feet -- and read from that distance.

Enjoy,
Dr. Bates wrote his own summary:

Smile

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com/better-eyesight-magazine/better-eyesight-1921-06.php#fundamentals">http://www.central-fixation.com/better- ... ndamentals</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com/better-eyesight-magazine/better-eyesight-1925-05.php#fundamentals">http://www.central-fixation.com/better- ... ndamentals</a><!-- m -->

Also, on my blog last week I wrote a post about beginners getting into bates and which chapters of the book to start with.

Start with the fundamentals, read about one per day and give each a go. If it works, be creative and do it as much as you can, every day (keep a small notebook with you fulll of everything you observe that helps your sight, your son can do the same.) that keeps the motivation up. As you read and learn what helps you, just add these things to your little book. Print off a Snellen chart to practice the central fixation and shifting methods. But if you don't want to use a snellen chart, you can practice with a calendar or anything else that is printed that you can become familiar with.

have fun!
sorrisi
I have two children, the younger one in glasses for myopia (11 years old). The older girl (14 years old) went through two periods of about two months each with reduced vision. It eventually returned, but the key was not rushing her to an OD and filling a prescription. Glad to hear you haven't done that. What is your son's prescription?

I have been a "student" myself of this stuff for over 5 years now, and have experience with my children. I am disappointed that I wasn't able to keep my younger one out of glasses, but I've been successful in reducing my own prescription from -9 to -6 diopters (which my previous OD still doesn't believe, but I have an updated prescription as proof...........).

From my experience, the following are some key things to do right now. Note that few of them involve specific Bates activities, but his work are their foundation:

- This is not a quick fix method, and hurrying to have success before school starts is not getting off on the right foot. This will likely induce more stress for you and your child and could easily lead to worse vision. It's important not to have any time constrained goals.

- This method will only work if your son wants it. Be there to help and encourage him, but if not seeing details causes more upset and strain, this can again lead to worse vision.

- If your son agrees to try this method, make some plans on how to deal with the reduced vision when school starts again. Use pinhole glasses if comfortable with them and only when necessary. Get seats assigned close to the chalkboard in class. Talk to the teachers and administration if your son is o.k. with that.

- Go without glasses (pinhole or prescription) as much as possible.

- If glasses become necessary, ensure they are not over-prescribed. Get a prescription that makes your son just legal for driving (usually vision corrected to 20/40).

- Look for ways to reduce and handle stress in your son's life. My younger daughter has a relaxation CD that she listens to every night before going to sleep. My older daughter is interested in yoga. I have been to mindfulness meditation classes where young adults have been present.

- Focus initially on general Bates concepts and then add a few activities that help with relaxation. Concepts: central fixation, peripheral vision, swinging, not staring, blinking adequately. Activities: palming, sunning, swinging.

I hope this helps.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download