MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The final stretch perhaps?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The final stretch perhaps?
Hey everybody, just to give a short update on my situation. I've been learning the Bates method for about 3 years now, with considerable improvement. Before I joined the Navy, my vision was approx. 20/90 in both eyes, which wasn't accepted by the SEAL program at the time. This is when I found the Bates method, and I was able to improve my vision over the few months to somewhere around 20/50 in both eyes. Enough to get into the program.

To cut things short, I didn't make it due to performance, but I was able to become a Rescue Swimmer/Helicopter Aircrewman instead. My vision has fluctuated between 20/40 - 20/70, mostly depending on how often I do the exercises. The thing is, I'm only seeing improvement up to a certain point. I'm still being prescribed glasses by aviation medical, but I don't wear them unless it's a safety issue when I fly, such as when we're flying low and fast, and I need to scan for wires and other obstacles up ahead. At night, the night vision devices we use have a diopter adjustment, so there's no need to wear my glasses with them.

So in the end, I rarely wear my glasses. My typical nightly routine is:

Long Swing - 150 Swings
Palming - 5-30min, depending on relaxation level.

During the day, I'm constantly shifting, using the nosefeather, and working on central fixation. It's coming down to the point, especially when I drive, that I'll get clear flash after clear flash, but no matter how often it is, I don't really see any improvement past that. It's been like this for a few months, and I haven't really progressed past this level. My vision will deteriorate if I don't keep up the exercises, and when I get into the habit of doing them on a regular basis, I'll see improvement up to this point, at which I don't really progress past. Anybody have an idea what could be holding me back from making this last little bit of improvement. I know from other people's stories that the final stretch is always the hardest part.
Thats really interesting!
Have you read Better Eyesight Magazines?
Sounds like you have the basics; shifting, central fixation...
Strong 20/20 glasses will hold you back.
Anyway you can get a reduced pair and still be safe at work?
http://www.Zennioptical.com Just fill in the form. Low cost.
Specify no tinting, no uv blocking...
See http://www.visionsofjoy.org for more links.

Have you tried the basic switching close and far combined with shifting, central fixation, memory/imagination, relaxation... Both eyes, one eye at a tme, both eyes together again.
Sometimes fixing imperfect convergence/divergence in one or both eyes is all thats needed to bring the vision up to 20/20 and better. Accommodation will automatically be improved.
http://www.cleareyesight.info navigation page 13, 14, 15. Free directions for various activities starts on page 8. Some pages run slow but you can have a copy of the website in PDF free. Military persons get reduced prices and free.
Ben, congrats on your persistence and progress so far!

It sounds like you have a great practice. One thing I couldn't tell - do you practice central fixation on the chart every day? If not that may be the thing to do.

Otherwise, read what Dr. Bates wrote about memory and imagination, perhaps there are some lessons there?

One thing that I have difficulty with may be affecting you as well. When I get to 20/50, I get busy with other things and since 20/50 is quite good, I spend less time practicing and then it slips a bit. The trick is to keep practicing a lot even when the vision gets quite good. Dr. Bates said that chart practice will need to be done for perhaps a year after 20/20 vision is reached for the clear vision to be permanent.

So don't give up, you're almost there! Just be as persistent as you were at the beginning and I'm sure you'll make it!

cheers,
Sorrisi

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now