MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Reading Your Snellen for Bates method.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading Your Snellen for Bates method.
Dear Friends,
Dr. Bates made reading your Snellen central to his method of sovling the functional myopia problem -- in his 1913 study, and in formal scientific presentations to his peers.
But times have changed. We still need to read our Snellen (as I do) but we might need some "temporary" glasses to use until we pass the DMV test -- and can then discard them. I don't like to pay $160 to $400 for glasses -- if I can get functional glasses on the "net". To help you -- here are some sites that sell these glasses.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.eyedealeyewear.com/">http://www.eyedealeyewear.com/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php">http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.eyebuydirect.com/">http://www.eyebuydirect.com/</a><!-- m -->

These are good glasses.

If you can read your Snellen (20/40 is 3/4 inch letters, 20/60 is 1 inch letters, 20/120 is 2 inche letters) you can estimate the minus lens that will "clear" the DMV line from those values. At 20/60 the weakest minus lens will probably be about -1 diopters. I am an engineer, and simply do not provide MEDICAL ADVICE, and no one here will do that. But if you decide to obtain a temporary lens to meet your needs, on your responsiblity, then perhaps this information will help you in your quest to pass the DMV and discard these low-cost lense.

Best,

Otis
the bates method doesnt work

you need to get reduced lenses, and then start palming etc.

When I get reduced lenses, I will begin the bates method
Tell us, line by line of the snellen, what each line represents as a pair of glasses.

The top line equals .

the ninth line = (insert prescription here)

eight line = (insert prescription here)

seventh line = (insert prescription here)

sixth line = (insert prescription here)

fifth line = (insert prescription here)

fourth line = (insert prescription here)

third line = (insert prescription here)

the 20/20 line = (insert prescription here)
Fuggles, honestly, have you ever read the book Perfect sight without glasses that you can find on this website?
Have you praticed palming at different moments of the day to see when you are able able to get some improvements?
Do you stare all day long or do you blink softly and shift all the time?
Do you pratice every day? For how much time?
Are you able to find some moments of the day to relax, destress, listen to music that you like?
Are you happy in general in your life?

You should really ask yourself those questions before saying that the bates method don't work.

-Alexandre
The percentages show most people dont get benefits.

Maybe only 10 per cent of people reach 20/20.

So im trying something new
also, it would be impossible for me to live a normal life with blurry vision, thus making the option of going without glasses is impossible.

the only option now is to try the reduced lens technique.

If I go without glasses i cant see anything !!!!!!! and if palming takes 6 months to work, !! then you will have blurry eyesight and not see anything for 6 months of your life !! !!!!!!!

This is the modern age, not 1930 when bates was alive, things have changed.
Hi fuggles!
I would really like if you could answer to the question I asked you.
Personally, my sight was at 10/40, with headaches and a lot of other discomforts. Now, my sight alternate between 10/10 and 10/15 and my eyes are perfectly comfortable. Maybe you would need the help of a teacher, or maybe you would need to take the time to discover how to do the method the right way. Start by leaving off your glasses at home, when you do near work, and soon, you will see that you don't really need them.
-Alexandre
Dear Fuggles,
Subject: Many people read Dr. Bates and ignore what he said -- as well as ALL prevention-minded ODs and MDs.
You are tragically correct.
Dr. Bates was (with wisdom) attempting to prevent ENTRY into myopia. He described this situation at "functional myopia" where the person was from 20/50 to 20/70, but could FUNCTION with no minus lens on his face.
He said that that (entry) level of myopia could be "recovered". I have every reason to believe that if the person had the education and motivation to use Bates/Prentice methods -- they could succeed.
But this is denied by majority-opinion ODs with force. (They NEVER tell you about this possiblity.) This is why I am "angry" at this terrible system, and continue to work for the right of a person to be at least INFORMED of this preventive choice before that first DESTRUCTIVE lens is placed on the poor child's face.
Today, we have massive amounts of myopia -- because this one professional obligation is denied.
I will post Dr. Bates commentary on this issue on i-blindness, to show what he wanted to accomplish.
I think many here understand the value of starting the preventive method before any minus lens is applied. There is a massive body of science that simply shows that the natural eye adapts to the minus (how ever well intended), and the eye simply "stair-cases" down because of that minus.
Otis
Alexndre Wrote:Hi fuggles!
I would really like if you could answer to the question I asked you.
Personally, my sight was at 10/40, with headaches and a lot of other discomforts. Now, my sight alternate between 10/10 and 10/15 and my eyes are perfectly comfortable. Maybe you would need the help of a teacher, or maybe you would need to take the time to discover how to do the method the right way. Start by leaving off your glasses at home, when you do near work, and soon, you will see that you don't really need them.
-Alexandre

I did, but I always needed them for looking at long distance reading.

I did tons of things without them for 6 months, but it was never clear.
Hi fuggles!
You don't give much details of what exercices you did, and for how long, and how you felt after. Remember that your progress will not be fast if you don't read your snellen in a relaxed way every day and if you don't pratice. By wearing glasses, you are constantly deleting the progress that you gained. So, have you read the book Perfect sight without glasses? When? Are you able to give some details as to how much you wear glasses during the day?

Have a nice day of improvements! Smile
-Alexandre

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download