MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Daughter's Eye's Are Becoming Near-sighted Too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daughter's Eye's Are Becoming Near-sighted Too
Well, as you can tell from my post's title my daughter's sight is fading also. She is only six years old and she is very excited to know that her Daddy is trying to go without glasses. So when I got my Snellen chart in the mail the other day, and hung it up, she was excited to show me how good her eyes were.

Well as you can imagine I was surprised to find that she doesn't have 20/20 vision either, but I didn't tell her that because I wanted to keep her confidence high. She's never had any trouble in school with seeing what her teacher puts on the board so I'm not certain she realizes what her vision is like. When we look at the Snellen chart together I just congratulate her on how much farther she can stand from the chart and still see it than I can. Of course, this just charges her up so that she wants to help me see as good as she can. She's starting to repeat a mantra that she and I need to read the chart even morning and night, before we go to bed and after we wake up. I think she want's to have me cured by sometime next week the way she is talking.

Anyway, the point is I've kept the fact that she isn't seeing 20/20 from her, as far as I can tell she's seeing at about 20/30 or 20/40 (I don't test her exactly because I don't want to tip her off that something is wrong), one of her eyes is much worse than the other.

My plan is to, indeed, have look over the Snellen chart with me every morning and night, and over time I hope it will help her. I thought I'd make it into a little challenge and see if, over time, we can both step farther and farther away from the chart. Of course, right now she has a huge lead on me so I'm hoping that she will stay excited (not that I'd ever allow myself to pass her anyway).

Also, I've mentioned to her that if she ever cannot see something to not stare or stain to see it. That she should look away and move on to something else. I think she has this concept pretty well in mind now.

So that is my plan for her so far, to read the Snellen chart and to look away if she can't make something out. I haven't taught her any of the Bates methods because, obviously, she doesn't know she has a problem yet.

What do you guys think of this plan for her improvement?

Bob
I just wanted to say that I think you're doing exactly the right thing. It seems like it might be safe to avoid alarming her and causing her anxiety about her vision, but if it does come up if you're positive about her improvement it might help her remain positive.

Bates did write that teachers who had their students simply read the snellen chart for 5 minutes a day reported improvements in their student's vision by the end of the year.
Dear Bob,

I know that this is a "Bates" site -- but I would not rule out other methods of NATURAL vision CLEARING.

It is excellent that both you and your daughter know exactly where she stands on the Snellen.

DMV level vision is between 20/70 (Florida) 20/60 (GA) and mostly 20/50 and 20/40 for the other states.  Thus 20/40 is not a disaster -- but a warning.

I believe that Bates methods (augmented with a "plus") can be of great help to her -- and keep her vision clear for life -- if done correctly.

I have prepared a FREE site to discuss these issues, including a Snellen.  You might find it of some value to understand this preventive second-opinion.  At:

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.myopiafree.com">http://www.myopiafree.com</a><!-- w -->

As always, let us all "pull together" in this great effort to save our kids distant vision -- for life.

Best,

Otis
Hi Otis,

Can you tell about some side effects of the plus lenses therapy, please?

Best,
Eli.
First let me state the "side effect" of a minus lens.

You get stair-case myopia from it.  This of course was
spelled out by Bates, when he said that a person with
20/70, who begins wearing a full-strength (over-prescribed)
minus lens -- will find his naked eye vision going down
very rapidly to 20/200.

So the real issues is this:  Is the method I am using (pure-Bates,
or Bates & Plus) effective in clearing my distant vision to
20/40 or better.

I feel that is your choice.  Yes there are "risks" in our life -- no doubt
about it.  If the use of the "plus" scares you -- then DO NOT USE IT.

But, the "claimed" risks are as "slight" (pre-existing) ghosting that
you MIGHT see as your vision clears to better-that 20/20.

I would point out that this "ghosting" (or diploipia) exists in about 40 percent of the population.  But if you have 20/50 vision -- you will never see it.  But is you use the plus, and your vision "sharpens" as your viion clars you might "see" this ghosting.

If you consider this a risk -- then don't use the plus.

But I consider stair-case myopia from the minus (Oakley-Young) far more than a risk -- it is a proven reality.  When a minus is used (as per Bates) the result is that the child's refraction goes down by -2 dioper in four years, while the "plus" group does not go down, i.e., the rate was approximately zero dipoters per year.

But that is the nature of the "balance" I would consider in evaluating plus-for-prevention.

I PERSONALLY wish I had been put in the plus at the threshold.  I advocated that my sister's kids wear the plus -- and I would not do that unless the "plus" were the better choice, and the "risk" a minimum.

But for Bob -- that is what he must consider.

Life is not "easy" -- and a choice like this is not "easy" either.  But I do agree (because of Oakley-Young) that this decision is an either-or choice for Bob.

Best,

Otis
You haven't answer my question.

What are the side effects of PLUS LENSES THERAPY?
I better do something to stop this before it starts. I know there's been some debate over whether or not using plus lenses for myopia is appropriate and what side effects may be involved, and it's turned into wars on other sites. So I now ask that everyone keep any discussion of plus lens therapy for myopia to the "Other eyesight and natural vision improvement topics" forum here.

Thanks,
Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Dear Davo,

This is indeed a Bates site -- and a good one.

What concerns me is the people who act "paternalistic" towards
Bob.  It is Bob who should ask the questions.

But I will leave it to Bob to contact "other sites" if he wishes
to help his daughter enter into that first step of stair-case myopia.

I can say this -- if I were his child -- I wish I had support from
my parents who would investigate this issue as completely
as possible.

As you know I "promoted" plus-prevention with my immediate relatives -- and they were successful in CLEARING their distant vision by their own efforts. 

By doing so, they avoided any use of the minus.  But again, I think that Bob must do his own research.

Please -- NO ONE POST ANY MORE COMMENTARY ON THIS ISSUE.

Otis
Well, since I started this thread I figure I should give my opinion on this matter.

First off, I have been very busy for the last couple of days and this is the first time I have been able to come to the site and see what is happening. With that in mind let me just say to Otis that I do apologise but I have not been to your site yet, but I will do you the courtesy of checking it out in the next day or two and see what I think.

However, I must say this. So far I've seen no downside to using the Bates methods, and I've seen in myself a lot of positive things come out of it already. I can focus on things mentally better and I feel just a little calmer for instance

As far as clarity of vision goes, yesterday for just a few seconds during a clear flash, I was able to make out the 20/50 line with my left (good) eye on the Snellen chart, something that would have been impossible just a few weeks ago.

How this affect my daughter is that I have confidence that these methods will help her in time. The whole point of playing my little game, with the Snellen chart, with her is i don't want to frigthen/discourage her by telling her that her vision is poor, and that she needs glasses. Since her vision is not that critical yet, and since I have a chance (even if this "snellen game" does not work for her) to help her without her ever having to worry about her vision, I think that is the path I'll try first.

The worst that can happen is that her vision continues to deteriorate and she'll eventually need glasses, at which time if I like what i read on your site I'll consider it. But if her vision improves then I've spared her some distress and worry. So as you can see, I have everything to gain and really nothing to loose by persuing the path I'm on.

But thanks for you help nonetheless. I WILL go to your site and give it fair consideration.

Thanks,

Bob

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now