MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Anxiety Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anxiety Issues
Help!!!!!! my dad is making me go to the eye doctor early december!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm freaking out becuase i have progressive myopia and i'm sure my eyesight is worse than last year, and my dad gets really mad and gives me a lecture about how i should better care for my eyes when i really CANNOT help it. NOOO!!!!!!! what should i do? i get really nervous in the room, so i'm getting my mom to take me to prevent me from totally going blind from nerves, but what should i do?!!!!!! (i have myopia) obviously my vision isn't going to improve so quickly and whenever i do the techniques, i get more anxiety, even though i get these signs everybody says i'm improving. YIKES!

I need a hug and some advice! :'(
Sunlight,
OK, take a deep breath. Fretting about this won't help. When I was a child and teenager, I was dragged to the eye doctor every year or sooner, and always needed a stronger pair of glasses. I felt completely powerless and just guessed at the blurry letters, trying to intuit what the doctor wanted to hear, to get out of there as soon as possible. My mother glaring at me to perform didn't help. If I could do this over knowing what I know now, I'd go with Dad instead who was friendlier and didn't make me nervous like Mom did. I'd make sure I was relaxed (I don't think I was ever relaxed as a child, in a constant state of high anxiety). I'd breathe deeply before doing the chart for the doctor, and take my time -- rushing still makes me extremely anxious. I'd talk to the doctor, trying to elicit a connection so he'd see me as a human being and not just another patient/statistic. I'd remember my Bates training and use it, shifting and looking for small details to focus on. Finally I'd remember that my vision is getting better, and even if the test today goes poorly, I know my vision is dynamic, not static, and it will probably be better tomorrow. If the worst happens and he wants to give me a stronger pair of glasses, I don't have to wear them! I'd see if the doctor is open to NVI, and to giving me a 20/40 pair of glasses. I'd probably talk to the parent who was coming with me about NVI first, as adults often only listen to other adults, sadly.

One of the things which got me through my stressful childhood was the knowledge that when I was 18 I could move out and have a life of my own and do what I wanted (and I did). Even if your situation is intolerable now, it won't last forever. Claim all the power you can now, and it will only get better.
Hey! Getting bind from nerves is good!
At least the doctor will not do any diagnosis... Tongue

As for what you need to do, just follow these steps.

-Open the door of the clinic (or let the receptionist do it if exist)
-Talk to the secretary or reception.
-Walk to the waiting room.
-Find yourself a seat.
-Sit down.
-Find something to read or just palm.
-When you are summoned, walk to the examination room.
-Sit to the AutoRefractor.
-Get your ticket and proceed for further examination.
-Walk to doctor's office.
-Sit in a chair.
-Let him talk.
-Agree with him, tell him you will do whatever he says, DO NOT mention Bates.
-Get your prescription.
-Get up.
-Walk to the door and exit the door.
-Leave the clinic.
-Go home.
-Put the prescription in your drawer, lay down to your bed and start palming.

I know that i sound like a cynical ass, but there is no point arguing with your parents. Not unless you can leave the house and move in your house and you have a job to be self-sufficient. They have control over you and they are well aware of their authority. So they make use of it. You can't fight that battle without risking your eyesight, or creating a chasm with your parents.
So, better go the damn doctor, take the prescription, and do whatever you want.

Of course you can fight back if you want, but think deeply about it. Wink

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now