MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
the whole picture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the whole picture
Over the last week I've noticed that as I view the world with more of my peripheral vision, I shift more, strain less, and objects come into more clarity. If I don't remember to keep looking "widely" or "as a whole picture" including my peripheral, then I resort to my habit of focusing on objects, which results in less clarity.

This is a very different feeling of seeing. This discovery comes as a surprise to me because I have been trying to "not see the whole picture in one bite" as many have suggested. Though my current thought process is to "see the whole picture", not through staring, but through noticing more of the whole picture of my sight through relaxing and shifting.

When I started NVI, I understood central fixation as looking more and more to the center of my vision, but I'm starting to think this is was very misleading as it encouraged me to strain in focusing more and more.

I came to this recent discovery after swinging. "Seeing the whole picture" lets me experience the motion blur during my swings, whereas focusing in the center of my vision prevents the blur.

Just wondering if anyone has been through this thought process/ has any recommendations.
napkinfeet Wrote:"Seeing the whole picture" lets me experience the motion blur during my swings, whereas focusing in the center of my vision prevents the blur.

You can NEVER NOT SEE the whole picture, why is that we have two eyes? - To see the whole picture.
But could you ever FOCUS at more than one thing simultaneously? - Kind of like the difference between listening & hearing.

You want to regain eyesight, but you are worried about not seeing the blur! You really need to engage yourself in activities that'll keep your mind off those thoughts.
So I'm really trying to get to understand the mental side of seeing and it seems to me that any thought of "using the eyes to see better" causes strain in my visual system. This has lead me to begin to practice using my eyes in a mode of 'surrendering' them to whatever is in front of me. Whereas before I had practiced 'doing' good vision habits to get better vision. This seems a better way to approach the process allowing me to engage in activities with the goal of better site, but through less effort. I find breathing also works well for taking my mind off the seeing process.
napkinfeet Wrote:Over the last week I've noticed that as I view the world with more of my peripheral vision, I shift more, strain less, and objects come into more clarity. If I don't remember to keep looking "widely" or "as a whole picture" including my peripheral, then I resort to my habit of focusing on objects, which results in less clarity. This is a very different feeling of seeing. This discovery comes as a surprise to me because I have been trying to "not see the whole picture in one bite" as many have suggested. Though my current thought process is to "see the whole picture", not through staring, but through noticing more of the whole picture of my sight through relaxing and shifting.
When I started NVI, I understood central fixation as looking more and more to the center of my vision, but I'm starting to think this is was very misleading as it encouraged me to strain in focusing more and more.
I came to this recent discovery after swinging. "Seeing the whole picture" lets me experience the motion blur during my swings, whereas focusing in the center of my vision prevents the blur.
Just wondering if anyone has been through this thought process/ has any recommendations.
In order to see clearly we have to learn to reconnect our mental attention to the foveal input from each eye, and then unify the images in the brain/mind. The fovea of each eye is located slightly above and to the outside of each eye's blindspot/optic nerve entrance. Unfortunately, nearpoint fixated people (so-called 'myopes') I believe, have visual systems which are accustomed to using pseudo foveas which are located somewhere next to the true foveas, but not symmetrically and therefore not only incapable of clear distance vision, but incapable of working together. This is a problem we have to overcome. By attending to the periphery, you are probably forcing yourself to use some of the true fovea of each eye. That is good. Keep it up.
Thanks for the breakdown Jmartin. It really helps me to be able to understand the mechanics of things like this so I can better perform exercises/ good vision habits.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download