MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Is there any chance to improve my vision?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any chance to improve my vision?
I’m 15 years old and my vision is -11.5 and -12.75. Every time I go to the eye doctor my vision gets worse and I get stronger glasses. Honestly this prescription is too weak now, I'm having trouble reading things far away, so I'll probably be getting even stronger glasses in a few months at my next appointment.

I have to use my glasses even for doing things up close because my vision is so bad that anything passed about 6 inches away is a complete blur. I'm pretty much helpless without glasses, and I can't really do any activities without them.

So is there anything I can do to improve my vision, or have I waited too long? I would really love to lose my quarter inch thick glasses, it really sucks to be my age and have such awful vision.
Thanks
Hi Jake,

Welcome! You came to the right place. There are members here who started with perscriptions of similar strength to yours and they have improved their vision alot (dramatically I would say) with the Bates Method.

Your email made me think, since you are 15 - do you use the computer alot? A good place to start is to look beyond your computer as much as possible (without your glasses) to get your eyes used to the idea that there is a world outside of that close 6-inch distance. Don't be upset by the blur that you find there, just look objectively at what you can see without trying to categorize things into distinct objects. Notice all the colours and shift your eyes as much as possible. It's good just to get your eyes moving and break up the habits that are currently unconscious. Shifting your eyes around can feel strange and jolty and energy-consuming at first, that's normal. As you get used to the movements you'll find that your eyes start to relax, and that you notice more in your environment than you did previously.

You are lucky to be so young - I think the younger someone is the more flexible their mind is to adopting a new way of behaving (just my opinion). So look at the bright side - you are starting early! Smile

Good luck and keep us updated!
YES

15 is better than anything. First things first, Put those prescription numbers away because they'll push you like you're in some race. Now, if you feel doubtful as to how you measure progress, you just put your vision in 'Better' or 'Worse/Same'. But that's just me. If you don't feel satisfied with that answer, ask the "pros" here.

Quote:Every time I go to the eye doctor my vision gets worse and I get stronger glasses.

...Its the thing called "strain", just a matter of time that you'll start realizing what that is & how much that is.
seetheleaves Wrote:Your email made me think, since you are 15 - do you use the computer alot?

Yeah, I am on the computer a fair amount, but I also do alot of outdoor activities, so I'm not sure, would this still be causing some of the problem?
@Jake: Vision improvement is completely independent of the degree of myopia you have. It is, however, dependent on persistence and determination, along with a working of knowledge of the Bates method and relaxation of the eyes and the mind. Understand that no half-hearted attempt will do you any good. True dedication and devotion is required.

I don't know your background in the Bates method, but I suggest (if you haven't already) that you pick up a book related to the Bates method (preferably starting with Better Eyesight Without Glasses) and reading up on it to get an idea of what it's all about. The pages on iblindness.org are also quite useful in understanding it and there are many references to the book itself.

As for your concern about the computer work affecting your vision, this is what I believe: Strain is the source of defective vision. Computer work, in and of itself, can not cause you to have poor vision. However, once the eyes are defective, just about anything can cause strain in the eyes and cause them to get worse. So the answer is yes and no, if that makes any sense.
just go to central-fixation.com

read and re-read everything. practise and re-read again and again. there's layers to it.
Jake Wrote:Yeah, I am on the computer a fair amount, but I also do alot of outdoor activities, so I'm not sure, would this still be causing some of the problem?

Being at the computer isn't necessarily causing your myopia but I thought that it might be reinforcing your strain since you have a clear 6-inch vision cutoff (computer screens are often within this distance. Using a computer promotes a steady fixation at one exact distance and reinforces that the eyes adjust only to that singular distance and not to any other.)

It's wonderful that you are also outside alot. Being outside is great for practicing the Bates Method since it is the perfect time to recognize oppositional movement and universal movement (the world is moving past you as you are moving through it.)

A good way to begin seeing oppositional and universal movement is this: Find a safe place - a park is good - sit on a bench, remove your glasses and then sway gently from side to side with your eyes pointed straight ahead but not fixed on anything in particular (let your eyes move, let them shift from point to point). Notice that as you sway one way, objects in the environment move in the opposite direction.

Recognizing this movement helps to break up the myopic stare which is a strain that attempts to force the world into one unmoving, steady scene.

Also, when you can, take a walk without your glasses and take notice of the scenery that is moving past you.

Read as much Bates material as you possibly can in order to get a thorough understanding of all the exercises and why they help you.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com/library.php">http://www.central-fixation.com/library.php</a><!-- m -->

Good Luck!
If you want to get serious and avoid going blind:

Read the original book ONLY, "The Cure of Imperfect Sight without glasses"by William H. Bates, downloadable on this site. Print it out, read it slowly, read it many times. Then ask if your parents agree that you give your eyes a chance and put everything on hold for a few weeks (even school) and start palming. Palm for half-an-hour 6 or more times a day, or however long you need to see immediate temporary improvement when you open your eyes. Also, try reading fine print with each eye separately and practice seeing halos (the book will explain). This is a wonderful way of preserving your eyes in myopia and one which can be done usually with ease without having to learn the abstract stuff.

I said a few weeks, because that should be enough for you to see that this is working. For a complete cure, you would probably need 9 months or more, you may say that's too much. But think about your chance of avoiding a lifetime of misery with your eyes, while you are young. Once you are cured, you can go on and do anything you want with your life, even become a pilot (or even an optometrist :-)

You really don't want to waste time on amateur interpretations of the Bates method. Those who understand it would agree with me, some people are trying to make money, some just like to have their voice heard but they have not even the basic knowledge of optometry, the tools used for examining eyes or the significance of the research of Dr. Bates.

You are pretty much on your own, unfortunately, and the sooner you realize it, the better your chances.

Good luck,
Andrea

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download