MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Do not try to see black

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do not try to see black
Hello everyone,

I've just read "Relearning to See" by Thomas R. Quackenbush (talk about unfortunate last name for someone in this profession) and have googled on the internet for some instructions on how to use the Snellen chart best, which is how i ended up here.

I have found what i needed so that was great. I also noticed the "black" when palming mentioned often so i thought I'd write a few lines in case someone has the same problem i had, or have, rather.

Imagining black really killed palming for me. By doing it this way it just made me more tired, which led to frustration etc... so i was relived to come upon the paragraph dealing with this issue. I'll retype it in full. This is just for those like me, I'm not trying to prove anything right or wrong. Those that have no problem imagining black, good for them!

Do Not Try To See Black

"This section is added to help clarify the confusion regarding seeing "black" while palming. I add this information primarily for the sake of completeness, as many students have asked me about Bates' references to seeing black.
In Perfect Sight Without Glasses, Bates discussed the advantages of remembering pure black while palming. Later, in his Better Eyesight magazines, he basically told his students not to try to remember or see black.

Better Eyesight magazine, July 1923:

Question: I still cannot visualize "black" - what else can i use as a substitute?
Answer: ...If it is an effort to visualize black, think of something that is pleasant, for instance, a field of daises, a sun-set, etc. The result will be just as beneficial.

Better Eyesight magazine, February 1924:

Question: To palm successfully is it necessary to remember or try to see black?
Answer: No. When one palms successfully the eyes and mind are relaxed and black is usually seen, but any effort to see black is a strain which will always fail.

Better Eyesight magazine, December 1927:

REST

The student is then directed to either close his eyes or palm for half an hour, whichever is more comfortable for him. In palming, the student closes both eyes and covers them with the palms of both hands, in such a way to exclude all light. To palm successfully he should make no effort to remember, imagine or see black. If black can not be seen perfectly, the student is told to let the mind drift from one pleasant thought to another.

It is clear that remembering black is not essential for improving eyesight. Most students will do better by ignoring the entire issue of seeing black, white, or any other color...."

I hope this helps someone who had a nightmare trying to palm and imagine black, like i did.

Cheers!
Thanks eidos! That was helpful. I had never read that before. I mostly gave up trying to see black long ago because it always resulted in strain.
I'm reading the same book. The best i have ever read until now. And finally i took off from my head the idea of exercises. This is natural vision,not a gym Smile
DaniFixe Wrote:I'm reading the same book. The best i have ever read until now. And finally i took off from my head the idea of exercises. This is natural vision,not a gym Smile
You've realized the truth. You'll be better now...congrats!

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now