MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
What does 'period' mean?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does 'period' mean?
Hi, what does bates mean by 'period'? he mentions it a lot, especially in the 'memory as an aid to vision' chapter. Thanks
That's a tough question. My personal take on this (although I think Clarknight would likely have more info from extensively studying Bates manuscripts), is that if you look at a period here, and notice its blackness and design, you want to remember those points, but without straining to concentrate. You start with a larger period, and work your way down. That's all I can say! Calling the real experts in please! Wink
If you are not American you might not realize that what they call a 'period' other people (like me) call a full stop, ie the dot at the end of a sentence. I found it confusing too.
sean Wrote:If you are not American you might not realize that what they call a 'period' other people (like me) call a full stop, ie the dot at the end of a sentence. I found it confusing too.

Yeah… I forgot about that. Of course being an American, I only knew of calling the "." a period until I was 13 when my dad told me about that in a conversation about punctuation, and I doubt he'd have thought of that of it weren't for the fact that he had spent some time in the U.K. and abroad.

It goes to show that while we share the same language (English), there are some variations that can be confusing. Fortunately they are pretty reasonable to find and aren't as important as the main structure of the language which is shared by all variants.
Swinging the period;
start by looking at a small period at the end of a sentence or just draw a black dot on a page. (Yes you can start with a bigger period, then work to smaller. Smaller produces tiny shfits, central fixation on a small object. very clear vision.)
Shift on the period; use your central field (fovea centralis) to shift left and right... on the period; look at a small part on the left side, then shift to a small part on the right side, then back to the left, then right; shifting relaxed, easy, continual back and forth. Notice that the period appears to move 'swing' in the opposite direction the eye, visual (and as David teaches 'Mental') attention moves to; shift left; the period moves right. Shift right; the period moves left. Its a small movement, no larger that the object and movement of the eyes. It is smaller than the size of the object. The sensation is kind of like a pendulum swinging left and right. This is very relaxaing to the eyes, centers, rests the mind. The left and right movement also activates/integrates the left and right brain hemispheres.

Practice with the eyes open, then in the imagination with eyes closed. Notice the eyes still move when shifting with the memory, imagination on the period in the mind and you can see the period show the opposite movement in the mind, imagination.

The thumb movement on finger tip is a similiar tiny oppositional movement, relaxation method. Good for stress prevention.

can also shift up and down, diagonaly...
Thanks everyone! Clarknight, i'll try that thank you
How far away should i stand or sit from the period?
Since you think you have myopia you'll want to be as far away as you can and still be able to make out the necessary details. For a high myope, that'd probably be an inch. For you, it'll probably be at least a foot, if not 2 meters or more. Don't be discouraged if you have to start really close, it'll improve with time.
Dont get too involved in looking at only the period; The normal eye moves about to different objects. The period is just a practice to do as needed since it does improve vision, for relaxation but not all the time. Let the eyes shift freely on a variety of objects in the scenery.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now