MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New reduced glasses prescription!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New reduced glasses prescription!
So after I bought my last reduced ones my prescription was lowered by 0.25 diopter on each eye. my prescription was: -2x-0.5 in each eye
and reduced glasses were: -1.5x-0.5 each which felt pretty strong (saw 20/30)

So I need your advice - should I buy -1.00 glasses with no astigmatism, now that my pres' is: -1.75x-0.5, so that the glasses wont feel strong and then my diopter will be lowered much more this time? Will I be able to function normally, and what do you estimate my visual acuity will be with them?

Also, do you recommend anti glare glasses for improving eyesight?
Aquila,

From what I understand, anti-glare lenses are NOT a very good idea.

You could get lenses that are -1 and no cylinder, but you'd probably not be able to see enough to legally drive with them. If you're just wearing glasses for driving, I'd recommend no cylinder and a -1.5 or MAYBE a -1.25 prescription.

According to my last test, I have about the same amount of cylinder astigmatism as you, although I don't know if my glasses have correction for that or not, because I don't know when it occurred. What I do know is that the astigmatism seems to be able to be ignored by my visual system most of the time, so I don't think it's a real big issue. In fact, at my next actual checkup, I'll specifically request no astigmatism correction in the lenses, and maybe even see if he could give me some "computer lenses" instead of the normal prescription.

Does that help?
I need the glasses mostly for computer, TV and for seeing distant objects and text clearly enough to not need to squint. Also, I don't need them for driving cause I don't drive at all..

So do you think this prescprition strong enough?
I'm not comfortable making a recommendation, since I'm not an eye doctor. What my behavioral optometrist usually does is to reduce a strong prescription by a diopter or more, and eliminate the cylinder correction for astigmatism if it's less than -2 which yours is. So with this loose guidelines I'd try -1 or -.75, remembering that Zenni glasses are pretty cheap, glasses that seem too weak now probably won't be soon, and that my goal is to do without glasses completely as much as possible, as long as I'm not straining or anxious. Good luck.
OK thanks! I think I'll go for -1.00 prescription and hopefully i'll succeed to lower my full prescription as with the last ones, to the point of only -0.25 diopter stronger than the new reduced glasses , which is a -0.75 diopter reduction (which is the point where I no longer need glasses Smile)!!

BTW: Last question - Do high resistance lenses interfere somehow with improving eyesight or include built-in UV protection or anti-glare or such?
About anti-glare, I'm not an eye doctor and this is my own opinion. When I wore strong contacts I noticed that lights seemed much brighter and more glaring, when they often didn't for other people not wearing glasses, so I wondered if the lenses somehow artificially concentrated the light coming into my eyes. Natural sunlight, even when it's bright, is healthy for the vision. A laser is not! With this in mind, I don't think anti-glare is necessarily harmful, but it feels like an additional step away from "natural vision" when you've already taken the first big one by wearing glasses. To me it feels like taking a drug to counter-act the side effects of the first drug (these commercials always make me want to scream at the TV). You probably wouldn't have a problem with the glare if you weren't wearing glasses.

Again, my 2 cents -- it's your choice. Remember your goal is no glasses at all, so don't get overly hung up on "the perfect glasses" as a target, as no matter how great they are you should be taking them off as much as you can.
My experience with anti-glare is that it doesn't do a whole lot. Maybe it wasn't done right or something, but my anti-glare glasses (which are actually now my "weak" glasses) don't really prevent glare. Rather, they seem to be more cosmetic in effect, reducing the glare off of the glasses, so that other people don't see a reflection and can actually see your eyes.

Good for taking pictures, I guess, but completely unnecessary and useless otherwise. But again, it is possible that I am misunderstanding something, since I got those glasses many years ago. I think it's better not to have it, unless there is some specific reason for having it.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now