MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Some questions I think us new people might have

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions I think us new people might have
Hi guys, got so busy the first time I posted, haven't had time to post again until now. Exam Sad I tried the Bates method for a long time, but I couldn't get a clear flash. I'm just too fidgety. I keep expecting magic results So I've decided to devote myself to stopping my myopia from getting worse. Here are some questions:

1. I'm going to be taking some AP Classes next year. For those of you who don't know what that is, its basically a college course in high School. It requires a lot of reading. I might also head to college the year after that ( we have a program that lets high schoolers go to college early if they're qualified). How should I go about reading those thick textbooks? Should I follow the 20/20/20 rule? Every twenty minutes look away twenty feet for twenty seconds. I mean these things warrant me reading for 3 hours a day. What should I do to keep my myopia from increasing? Is there anything I can do? Should I accept my fate?

2. I have to do a lot of computer work lately. But here's the good thing. I've managed to hook it up to our TV. Is this effective in stopping myopia? I mean is it better to do it on TV? Allot about an hour or two each day during summer of me doing this.

Thanks in advance for your answers. These two have been on my mind since I first posted on here.
Well, first, you can still improve your vision even while doing close work.

If you can set aside an hour a day for vision practice and then spend the rest of your time using your eyes properly, you'll slowly improve, and maybe even get some clear flashes. But to be honest, clear flashes are not the end-all-be-all of vision improvement. They (clear flashes) say that you're doing something right, but that's about all. It still can take a while for those to translate to normal sight. As an example, I've been having clear flashes for over 6 months and am only at sideways to slightly better vision. Of course that's totally my fault because of how little I actually work on my eyes. I'm starting to apply an hour a day of swings and palming, and therefore, practicing what I preach should improve the current situation. Ehem Smile

If it results in less strain to look at your TV rather than your computer, go ahead and keep doing it (I'm assuming this is a bigger screen TV than your computer and therefore you are sitting farther away from it). Otherwise, just use the normal computer screen.

Taking a 20 second eye break every 20 seconds to focus on something far away is fine, although you may find it advantageous to do it more frequently. Btw, congratulations  on getting a fast track to college!

Any other questions?
lol i am an upcoming Full IB Diploma Candidate XD Being impervious to stress will be impossible lol so i will definitely have to put my glasses into use ):
Another point of view (smile): glasses will ADD stress to your life, though you may be so used to them you're not aware of this yet. Just consider changing your habits slightly, taking longer before putting them on, or seeing if you can do more things without them. If you think you "need" them, you do. If you think you don't and will find a way to see well enough without them, you will.
So my myopia won't increase if I take breaks to look at distant things often ( I realize this isnt a 100%, but I have -3 both eyes as a high school freshman and it's going to raise very quickly. In fact the only reason I may not go to "college" is because my myopia may raise extremely rapidly.)? I will take your advice and practice LUX. I don't want a retinal detatchment.

I will post again if I have any more and thanks all!
Watch those automatic negative thoughts, like
Quote:...it (my myopia)'s going to raise very quickly...
How about replacing this with "As I learn more about the Bates Method, my vision will be getting better and better!".
Mandodesi524 Wrote:So my myopia won't increase if I take breaks to look at distant things often ( I realize this isnt a 100%, but I have -3 both eyes as a high school freshman and it's going to raise very quickly. In fact the only reason I may not go to "college" is because my myopia may raise extremely rapidly.)? I will take your advice and practice LUX. I don't want a retinal detatchment.  

I will post again if I have any more and thanks all!

Well at this point, I can't guarantee that your myopia won't increase if you take those breaks, because you have to understand a bit on how things work before you'll improve (although it should help). It's kinda like learning a new language. You might be able to read, write and speak Greek, but if you don't know what the words mean, it won't make any sense and you can't use Greek effectively. Same with vision improvement. Fortunately, it's no where near as hard as learning a language, but do keep the point in mind that you have to actually understand and implement vision improvement principles (like the frequent breaks) to have success.

Just like some words, you might know some of the definitions and the grammar part it's in, but not where it came from, or every different meaning, yet you can still use the words, so also you need not understand all the nitty gritty pieces of vision improvement—you just need to understand the basics and basic principles. Don't take this too heavily though, as Nancy said, stay positive.

I think David said in his most recent blog post that it's all in the mindset. If you think that you can improve, you can improve (or was this Nancy in a different thread?), if you think that it's all gloom and doom, it's all gloom and doom. So stay positive, stay happy, stay pleasant, stay optimistic, and you'll do fine. [sorry for using so many words]
@Mandodesi524: I don't generally like using myself as an example, but I wanted to share a little in the hopes that it will give you a little encouragement.

I am a high school student with something like -6.00 left and -5.00 right (I forget exactly, so these numbers may not be consistent with whatever numbers I posted in the past). Anyway, the point is that I started seriously practicing the Bates method in my sophomore year, and at that point the myopia was so bad that it was actually getting worse with each year (to the tune of another -0.50 to -1.00 per eye per year). But that year, my eyes got worse by "only" -0.25 in the right eye and none in the left eye. And though I have not made an appointment with the eye doctor since, I am pretty sure that my eyes have not gotten any worse, since I still see 20/20 at night with my strongest pair of glasses - which, by the way, I never use except for checking whether or not I see 20/20 out of them or not.

Basically, I have been unable to get any sort of permanent improvement - but I'm sure I will find the way at some point. It's frustrating at times, but the silver lining is that even with all of the mistakes I make in doing certain exercises and with all the time I spend reading textbooks and with all the time I'm on the computer and with all the pressure of school-related stuff, my eyes haven't gotten worse! Sometimes, I can't believe how easy it is to prevent further deterioration: pay attention and don't give up. That's it! Just because your eyes have been getting worse for years, it doesn't mean that they have to keep getting worse.

For the record: Breaks help a LOT. If you can keep yourself from squinting or active straining (i.e. doing it in such a manner that you look weird doing it), then you can still get away with straining throughout the day (you don't want to obviously, but it happens) if you take breaks. I'm at the point where I realize that if I'm not stupid and stare at a computer screen for several hours at a time, I can expect - at worst - that my myopia will not change.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download