MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Dealing with a weaker eye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with a weaker eye
My right eye is about 20/100, and my left eye about 20/200. Without glasses, I can read a computer monitor from nearly 20 inches away with my right eye, but no farther than about 10 inches with my left eye. What is the best way to deal with this? Is it useful to cover my right eye sometimes when I'm reading? I heard one person say that patching only works for about 25% of people and can even make vision worse. I would just like to know a good way to train my left eye without straining it. Incidentally, when I'm reading fine print at a close distance (say, 6 inches or less), my left eye actually sees better than my right eye, but for just about everything else, my right eye is dominant. However, my right eye also has more astigmatism than my left.

Thanks for any help.
Look up 'SWITCHING' close and far on this forum. Lot examples.

http://www.cleareyesight.info/id8.html

http://www.cleareyesight.info/id9.html

More info in this new book; in middle and at the end; http://books.google.com/books?id=MilnrDg...&q&f=false

I can help you on Skype if you like; mary.oliver981. Always free for people posting on this forum.
neptune Wrote:My right eye is about 20/100, and my left eye about 20/200. Without glasses, I can read a computer monitor from nearly 20 inches away with my right eye, but no farther than about 10 inches with my left eye. What is the best way to deal with this? Is it useful to cover my right eye sometimes when I'm reading? I heard one person say that patching only works for about 25% of people and can even make vision worse. I would just like to know a good way to train my left eye without straining it. Incidentally, when I'm reading fine print at a close distance (say, 6 inches or less), my left eye actually sees better than my right eye, but for just about everything else, my right eye is dominant. However, my right eye also has more astigmatism than my left.

Thanks for any help.

Neptune,
Use the difference in eye strenght as a bio feedback. When you close your eyes you feel how better eyesight feels towards the inner eyelid.
The weaker eye feels longer and there is a feeling of pressure towards the inner eyelid in the weaker eye.
Just close your eyes softly every now and then and try to relax the weak eye to the same feeling you have in the better eye.
When you open the eyes you shall see clearer.

You might also try looking at horizontal lines, following (trace) the line with central fixation from left to right and backwards, repeatedly, the repetition is the key here because if the eyes fail to align then they will simply realign at the next repetition. This is my own idea. You can do it when for instance looking at the eyechart or when reading news at the computer (there are lines everywhere on e.g. a news site). It is simply easier for the eyes to align in this way compared to shifting in all possible directions which ends up in a mess for the weaker eye and thus it gets blurry).
Try to see as small details as possible of the line, for instance focus on the upper edge of the line for a while and then the lower edge. You are not allowed to space out ! to check if the weaker eye still follows. You need to feel if the weaker eye follows, if so then go do what ever shifting you wish for awhile until they fail to align again, then look at lines again to realign.

Still having trouble, then look at bright objects, relax your shoulders, be aware of your breathing and how the air fills your lungs and your nose, be aware of some certain sound (for instance the computer sound). Do long swings, improves central fixation and shifting on tiny objects.

Personally I think central fixation is good because the more you focus on tiny details the more the automatic vision correction algorithms also can operate freely to improve vision via the periphery vision. I think that is the key.

That was just some tips
Good Luck
clarknight Wrote:Look up 'SWITCHING' close and far on this forum. Lot examples.

http://www.cleareyesight.info/id8.html

http://www.cleareyesight.info/id9.html

More info in this new book; in middle and at the end; http://books.google.com/books?id=MilnrDg...&q&f=false

Thanks, clarknight--I'll check those out.

Quote:I can help you on Skype if you like; mary.oliver981. Always free for people posting on this forum.

I've heard of Skype, but am not quite sure what it is. I appreciate the offer, though. Wink
hammer Wrote:Neptune,
Use the difference in eye strenght as a bio feedback. When you close your eyes you feel how better eyesight feels towards the inner eyelid.
The weaker eye feels longer and there is a feeling of pressure towards the inner eyelid in the weaker eye.
Just close your eyes softly every now and then and try to relax the weak eye to the same feeling you have in the better eye.
When you open the eyes you shall see clearer.

Thanks for the helpful tips, hammer. I've noticed that when I'm feeling fatigued, closing my eyes for a bit helps on so many levels.

Quote:You might also try looking at horizontal lines, following (trace) the line with central fixation from left to right and backwards, repeatedly, the repetition is the key here because if the eyes fail to align then they will simply realign at the next repetition. This is my own idea. You can do it when for instance looking at the eyechart or when reading news at the computer (there are lines everywhere on e.g. a news site).

Do you mean literal lines, lines of text, or both?

Quote:That was just some tips
Good Luck

Those all sound good--thank you. It's hard not to get overwhelmed sometimes with all the information about how to improve one's vision, but I will definitely give these a try while still keeping it simple. Smile
neptune Wrote:Do you mean literal lines, lines of text, or both?

Neptune,
It depends on how experienced you are.

If the weaker eye easily gets blurry then it might be a lot better to just follow an ordinary line (without text) for a while,
but still see as tiny points as possible of the line (i.e. still use central fixation), because it is a more simple task for the eyes to do.
When you are better trained/aligned you can of course read lines of text instead and that is also of course the goal to be able to do.

Remark that when you read a line of text there is a visual illusion that implies that under the text there is a white line.
If you have natural visual habits and use central fixation then you shall be able to see the white line.
The white line is whiter than the white background. You can follow that white line when you get more advanced, and when you see (follow) the white line you also can read the text.

//Hammer
OK, thanks for the info, hammer.
Oh, I thought of one more question. If I can read my computer screen from 20 inches away with my right eye, but only about 10 inches away with my left eye, then how far away should I be from the screen when I read with both eyes? Or is it better to read on paper as much as possible? I have less problem with blur from my left eye when I'm reading from paper, maybe partly because I usually hold the paper closer than 20 inches. Still, I've heard that. in general, reading from a computer screen is more stressful on the eyes than regular reading. Is that true?
neptune Wrote:Oh, I thought of one more question. If I can read my computer screen from 20 inches away with my right eye, but only about 10 inches away with my left eye, then how far away should I be from the screen when I read with both eyes? Or is it better to read on paper as much as possible? I have less problem with blur from my left eye when I'm reading from paper, maybe partly because I usually hold the paper closer than 20 inches. Still, I've heard that. in general, reading from a computer screen is more stressful on the eyes than regular reading. Is that true?

Neptune,
Computers can actually be very relaxing to use if you use natural visual habits, and more fun is provided.
If you do the mental relaxation I think your eyes would adapt at 20 inches, but if they don't you need to shorten it of course.
hammer Wrote:Neptune,
Computers can actually be very relaxing to use if you use natural visual habits, and more fun is provided.
If you do the mental relaxation I think your eyes would adapt at 20 inches, but if they don't you need to shorten it of course.

OK, thanks again, hammer.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now