MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
I am near sighted, but the test card makes me far sighted

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am near sighted, but the test card makes me far sighted
Here is what Bates has to say:

Quote:In an eye with previously normal vision a strain to see near objects always results in the temporary production of hypermetropia in one or all meridians. That is, the eye either becomes entirely hypermetropic, or some form of astigmatism is produced of which hypermetropia forms a part. In the hypermetropic eye the hypermetropia is increased in one or all meridians. When the myopic eye strains to see a near object the myopia is lessened and emmetropia(1) may be produced, the eye being focussed for parallel rays while still trying to see at the near-point. In some cases the emmetropia may even pass over into hypermetropia in one or all meridians. All these changes are accompanied by evidences of increasing strain, in the form of eccentric fixation (see Chapter XI) and lowered vision; but, strange to say, pain and fatigue are usually relieved to a marked degree. If, on the contrary, the eye with previously normal vision strains to see at the distance, temporary myopia is always produced in one or all meridians, and if the eye - is already myopic, the myopia is increased. If the hypermetropic e y e strains to see a distant object, pain and fatigue may be produced or increased; but the hypermetropia and the eccentric fixation are lessened-and the vision improves. This interesting result, it will be noted, is the exact contrary of what we get when the myope strains to see at the near-point. In some cases the hypermetropia is completely relieved, and emmetropia is produced, with a complete disappearance of all evidences of strain. This condition may then pass over into myopia, with an increase of strain as the myopia increases.

So why am I becoming far sighted by looking at the test card? It isn't just the test card that does this to me... if I am watching a movie, or just looking into the distance, I become far sighted. I become unable to read fine print and my distant vision improves tremendously.

Maybe these words by Bates are not set in stone... after all, I do remember reading him state: "The different ways we strain to see are infinite, and so are the results." or something along those lines.
You may be straining to produce that clearer distance vision. It is unclear, since you give so little information about yourself, your vision history, or what you are actually doing.
I am probably straining to see. Another possibility is that my vision is learning to adjust for distant vision.

I ditched my contact lenses at least 6 months ago and within a few weeks my vision improved. As Bates wrote, the vision always improves when glasses are discarded for some time. Even if the patient doesn't notice it, it always improves. I noticed it.

Palming doesn't really improve my vision. It actually makes my distant vision worse. It is relaxing though. I think I just need to palm longer. Maybe what is happening is that I am relaxing with my eyes closed, but when I open them the strain comes back, and my mind multiplies the strength 2x over since it was just in a relaxed state. I dunno!

When I read the test card, I stare at it. Is staring bad? In Bates's book "Better Eyesight Without Glasses," I don't remember a clear answer.

Even if staring is bad, I am confused, because the text I quoted in the first post seems to contradict what is happening with me. If I am straining to see at the distant, why is my distant vision improving and my near vision going bad? I thought strain decreases vision.

However, I do remember Bates stating that strain can sometimes temporarily improve vision, but in the long run it is bad for the eyes. Maybe that is it.

In Bates's book, the prescription he gives for improving eyesight is to simply read the test card every day. For the patient who has worn glasses in the past, he will need to devote at least an hour a day to reading the test card as well as devoting time to other exercises such as palming, swinging, etc.

I believe what is happening with me is that I am just replacing one strain with another strain. As Bates said, the ways we strain are infinite and I just have a unique case.

I am actually not worried about this problem. Ignore my first post, it comes off as negative. I believe the answer is strain. If my distant vision improves, my near vision should stay the same or improve also. If the near vision gets worse, then I am just straining in a different way which makes me have better distant vision. Real vision improvements will improve both distant and near vision.

I am determined to achieve normal vision.
Don't get caught in the common trap of interpreting Bates in absolutes. It takes careful reading and study of ALL his writings to understand the points he was trying to convey. For instance, he said that palming is one of the best methods of relief for most people. But he also was clear that it could cause GREATER strain in some. There were always exceptions, not everyone responded the same way. Even if 100 people in a row responded well, then one would come along and respond the opposite. Their treatment for each patient had to be tailored to the individual.

panda Wrote:When I read the test card, I stare at it. Is staring bad? In Bates's book "Better Eyesight Without Glasses," I don't remember a clear answer.

Staring, according to Bates, was the main cause of all eye problems. Staring, concentrating, making an effort, trying to force the eye to see, etc. are all contributors to poor vision. That being said, there is some short term benefit to being able to have the mental control to fixate on a point, as small a point as one can imagine. Myopes don't fixate on points, move on and fixate on the next point, the next, etc. as do emmetropes. They try to examine things in big broad strokes, or try to see a large area all equally well at once. This technique may work OK at the near point where things are close enough and large enough to be distinguished, but is futile for distance viewing. In some instances you may think you are staring, but the eye is actually moving, shifting and drifting around a point fixed. Even when you halt shifting altogether, drift and tremor movements of the eye can keep the object from fading from view. But it's not natural to try to hold a single point for more than a few seconds, so keep the attention on the move. See if you can identify different parts of a letter on the chart, not simply identify the letter itself. Blink softly and frequently, even when fixating on a point.

panda Wrote:Even if staring is bad, I am confused, because the text I quoted in the first post seems to contradict what is happening with me. If I am straining to see at the distant, why is my distant vision improving and my near vision going bad? I thought strain decreases vision.

Strain at the nearpoint can improve distant vision, in the myope. Nearpoint strain always moved the eye towards hyperopia, Bates observed. So you might be somehow engaging that nearpoint type strain.
Sunning seems to work for me. Even just being in the sun bright sun (working or playing sports for example) improves my vision to normal or sometimes better than normal.
arocarty,

The more I read your posts the more I realize how el perfecto your are at this method. Your really know it and speak it very well and your easy to understand while still being professional. Wish I could write, speak this way. You should write a book on the subject. There seems to be only a few on-line David, others on here... that really know the Bates Method, all aspects and can describe it in a way that's easy to understand and is captivating to read.
arocarty Wrote:Don't get caught in the common trap of interpreting Bates in absolutes. It takes careful reading and study of ALL his writings to understand the points he was trying to convey. For instance, he said that palming is one of the best methods of relief for most people. But he also was clear that it could cause GREATER strain in some. There were always exceptions, not everyone responded the same way. Even if 100 people in a row responded well, then one would come along and respond the opposite. Their treatment for each patient had to be tailored to the individual.

panda Wrote:When I read the test card, I stare at it. Is staring bad? In Bates's book "Better Eyesight Without Glasses," I don't remember a clear answer.

Staring, according to Bates, was the main cause of all eye problems. Staring, concentrating, making an effort, trying to force the eye to see, etc. are all contributors to poor vision. That being said, there is some short term benefit to being able to have the mental control to fixate on a point, as small a point as one can imagine. Myopes don't fixate on points, move on and fixate on the next point, the next, etc. as do emmetropes. They try to examine things in big broad strokes, or try to see a large area all equally well at once. This technique may work OK at the near point where things are close enough and large enough to be distinguished, but is futile for distance viewing. In some instances you may think you are staring, but the eye is actually moving, shifting and drifting around a point fixed. Even when you halt shifting altogether, drift and tremor movements of the eye can keep the object from fading from view. But it's not natural to try to hold a single point for more than a few seconds, so keep the attention on the move. See if you can identify different parts of a letter on the chart, not simply identify the letter itself. Blink softly and frequently, even when fixating on a point.

panda Wrote:Even if staring is bad, I am confused, because the text I quoted in the first post seems to contradict what is happening with me. If I am straining to see at the distant, why is my distant vision improving and my near vision going bad? I thought strain decreases vision.

Strain at the nearpoint can improve distant vision, in the myope. Nearpoint strain always moved the eye towards hyperopia, Bates observed. So you might be somehow engaging that nearpoint type strain.
Yes, thank you arocarty! ;D

To add to claknight's post, it is great to see that the Bates method has the support that it does. Despite a ton of criticism from "modern science," there are a lot of websites and forums that support it.

About me: I am actually going back to my original belief before I made this thread, that my eyes are just learning to re-adjust, which is causing the farsightedness. My theory is that if I continue to read the test card, my vision will improve. I may be staring sometimes, straining to see lower lines, and doing other bad things, but in the long run, I will learn how to see correctly. It may take a considerable amount of time, but that is practice just like with any other skill. I see vision improvement similar to learning the golf swing, it takes practice and sometimes you will take wrong turns. That is just my opinion though, and might be wrong (I am actually probably wrong, I am not expert Smile

Anyway... as Bates said, to correct your vision, you don't really need to understand the methods in his book, or in any other book. All you have to do is read the test card every day with one eye at a time. He even had an example in his book of a man who did just that (he also practiced reading fine print in a dim light every day). After about a year the man developed "telescopic vision" and could also see well at the near point.

I'll stick with it; I am confident it will work ;D

As a side note, I enjoy using the sun to improve my eyes. I stare into it with no fear of damaging my eyes. Yes, it hurts, but it also improves my vision, tremendously!

Wish me luck! O0

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download