MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Convincing a Skeptic (Part 2)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convincing a Skeptic (Part 2)
Me (10:52:49 PM): yes I do...
Me (10:52:58 PM): bu ttheir beliefs are based on a theory, and they don't know it.
My cousin (10:53:09 PM): lol
My cousin (10:53:16 PM): i think ur confusing the word theory w/ hypothesis
Me (10:53:09 PM): I can show u proof
My cousin (10:53:19 PM): okay please do
Me (10:53:19 PM): It's called Theory of Accommodation
Me (10:53:24 PM): so it is a theory
Me (10:53:27 PM): but here goes...
My cousin (10:53:43 PM): A scientific theory is differnet than what a street person calls "theory"
My cousin (10:53:54 PM): but please contineu
Me (10:53:52 PM): 
Bates did case studies on thousands of New York schoolchildren, and he taught optometrists himself. He studied the aboriginals and also drew a correlation between memory, imagination, and eyesight. Bates discovered a way to reverse deteriorating eyesight and other things like astigmatism, glaucoma, and other serious diseases of the eye. It sounds too good to be true, but...

In the 1920s, Bates discovered a serious flaw in Helmholtz's Theory of Accommodation which dates back to the 1850s, and no one in the optometry industry wished to accept this discovery. They were afraid of losing revenue because people wouldn't need glasses any longer. But Helmholtz's theory is still being taught to our optometrists, and it's exactly why nearly everyone thinks eyesight is irreversible nowadays. Including your optometrist.

Ask yourself, do you think this is possible? To me, it sounds possible.

Need evidence?

Wikipedia shows, "[Helmholtz's] theory of accommodation went unchallenged until the final decade of the 20th century." That's strange, because Bates already challenged it and proved it wrong in the 1920s. What Wikipedia Says

The misleading notion that eyesight cannot be reversed is based on a theory from 1850, that by itself has deceived billions of people into thinking deteriorating eyesight cannot be reversed. And it's gone unchallenged for nearly 150 years.

So everyone's understanding is based on a theory at the foundation, not an anatomical fact.

Before disregarding any of this, I encourage you to read more in Relearning to See. I don't want to make you feel obliged to get anything, but now you have the info to help yourself out.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
My cousin (10:55:20 PM): It says that Bates proved it wrong, but where is the proof?
My cousin (10:55:43 PM): And why arnt people being cured of blindness using Bates idea, if his idea worked, than the scientific theory would be overthrown no questions asked.
My cousin (10:58:21 PM): If it could cure blindness scientist would be all over it, the old theory would be changed or tossed no questions asked, it only takes one repeatable contridiction to overcomb a theory.
Me (10:58:50 PM): 
That was from my private message. There is proof in the book Relearning to See, as well as Bates own journals... it shows exactly the problems and step by step what Bates did to prove it wrong and what Helmholtz had not been able to prove and no one wished to accept the idea since it would be controversial. You have to understand that Helmholtz was a very great scientist... he is the one who discovered the principle of conservation of energy, among other things.
My cousin (11:00:03 PM): Newton was also a great scientist , but his theories where flawed and were updated, if Bates method works, then there would be evidence of its success, scientist would notice this evidence and it would be widely publisized. Why hasn't this happend?
Me (11:00:21 PM): 
A cultural mindset is a very difficult thing to overcome. Optometrists covered it up and expelled Bates from his teaching position at Columbia University in NY as a reward for fulfilled the proposal he had made with them that he would prove Helmholtz's Theory wrong. They never expected this to happen. There are court records and articles written about it.
My cousin (11:01:09 PM): Optometrists covered it up?
My cousin (11:01:11 PM): lol
My cousin (11:01:13 PM): why?
My cousin (11:01:35 PM): Wouldn't his work help them cure blindness, and be a good thing?
Me (11:01:31 PM): 
You have to understand that Western medicine takes a mechanist approach.
Me (11:01:35 PM): 
It's the culture itself.
My cousin (11:01:57 PM): lol sorry western medicine is based on hard science, chemistry , physics, and biology
My cousin (11:02:17 PM): Just ask anyone trying to get into medical school.
Me (11:02:22 PM): 
Eastern culture focuses on a holistic approach, a mind-body connection. Bates is based on a holistic approach, because vision is largely a mental process. In our society, the mind's power over the body is often ignored.
Me (11:03:21 PM): 
Vision is primarily a mental process, rather than anatomical process, but optometrists ignore it. True or false?
My cousin (11:03:40 PM): dude, vision is a physical process
My cousin (11:03:46 PM): if u poke ur eye out u cant see
My cousin (11:03:58 PM): Its completely determined by the anatomy of the eye
Me (11:03:52 PM): 
Let me explain Helmholtz's Theory of accommodation to you
My cousin (11:04:02 PM): without hte eye you cannot see
My cousin (11:04:10 PM): The mind is located in teh brain
Me (11:04:05 PM): 
The theory itself states that the lens are required to accommodate and see something clearly up close or up far
My cousin (11:04:14 PM): without the brain you dont have a mind
Me (11:04:12 PM): 
crystalline  lens, I mean
My cousin (11:04:41 PM): So if the lens is required wouldnt that mean that eyesite is determined by the physical eye?
Me (11:04:53 PM): 
However, with Bates method there are people who have had their crystalline lens surgerically removed and yet they are able to restore their sight. This is impossible in the prevalent mindset of optometrists.
Me (11:05:20 PM): 
There is a vision center in the mind.
My cousin (11:05:30 PM): If you could present one cases of that to a board of scientist with proof they would unanimously accept it
My cousin (11:05:33 PM): Why hasn't this been done?
My cousin (11:05:42 PM): You realize the mind is in the brain right.
My cousin (11:05:50 PM): I know the eye is connected to the brain.
Me (11:05:54 PM): 
You understand that when you are born, the interior of your eyeball sees things upside down. What flips them right way down?
My cousin (11:06:10 PM): your brain?
Me (11:06:04 PM): 
Yes, I do realize that.
Me (11:06:35 PM): 
The mind does it for you.
My cousin (11:06:49 PM): All that would be needed to prove bates theory is one repeatable double-blind experiment, why hasnt this been done?
My cousin (11:07:03 PM): The mind doesn't exist without hte brain
Me (11:07:20 PM): 
slow down please
My cousin (11:07:30 PM): okay
Me (11:08:23 PM): 
Bates did the proposal before a Board of Optometrists, and what happened at Columbia University had to do with the Board of Optemetrists.
My cousin (11:08:54 PM): According to who?
My cousin (11:08:55 PM): bates?
My cousin (11:09:24 PM): Even if we assume that he was wronged by the Board, how come someone doesn't present his work today?
My cousin (11:09:40 PM): Why isn't it all over the news, thousands of people could be able to see again.
Me (11:10:34 PM): 
Remember, information didn't travel like it does nowadays. The Board could cover up anything they wanted, and dismiss it as quackery in front of the public, and the public would believe anything they told them. Bates lost the funds for his research, but his principles have been time tested and shown to be correct. However, society is not ready to accept something dramatically different from what it's been taught for the last 150 years.
My cousin (11:11:22 PM): No way, Scientist would accept the theory if you could show a repeatble double blind experiment
My cousin (11:11:32 PM): The whole Scientific Method is based on that principle
Me (11:11:27 PM): 
Because, like it or not, optometrists make like 30 billion a year from selling glasses. Also, they would be criticized for standing up. Bates was ostracized for it himself.
My cousin (11:11:49 PM): You don't even have to go to optometrists
My cousin (11:12:01 PM): You could publish it in a number of Scientific Journals
My cousin (11:12:06 PM): Or you could just call the media
My cousin (11:12:17 PM): Im sure they would send camera crew etc for the experiment
Me (11:12:17 PM): 
It's not that simple.
My cousin (11:12:29 PM): Why?
My cousin (11:13:20 PM): And optometrists don't make money for selling glasses, thats what hte glasses company get paid for.
My cousin (11:13:34 PM): Do you think people arnt going to cure cancer because then people wouldnt need to buy chemotherapy?
My cousin (11:13:51 PM): How about flu shots, seems like there would be more money to be made just treating people in hospitals.
My cousin (11:14:07 PM): 1 repeatable double blind experiment and you would VERY likely win the nobel prize
Me (11:14:07 PM): 
There are several people presenting his work, in fact.
Me (11:14:20 PM): 
But there is a lot of misconception out there about the Bates method
Me (11:14:32 PM): 
Many people think it's aout eye 'exercises' but it ISN'T
My cousin (11:14:46 PM): What is it about?
Me (11:14:45 PM): 
the problem may have to do with too much information, and the misconceptions out there
My cousin (11:18:21 PM): I just dont see why anyone would say Science would try to keep the Bates Method down.
My cousin (11:18:28 PM): Science is a method not an institution.
Me (11:18:56 PM): 
Bates method doesn't work by using exercises for 25 minutes a day, but rather by using techniques consciously everyday until they become natural habits you use subconsciously. Natural habits which are the same eye habits that people with good eyesight use. Such as blinking properly, shifting, oppositional movement, and so on.
My cousin (11:19:41 PM): But how does that actually restore eyesite?
My cousin (11:19:55 PM): And where is the evidence of people being cured of blindness.
My cousin (11:20:10 PM): I'm not saying Bates method doesnt have some good points, but to say it can cure blindness is silly w/o evidence.
Me (11:20:17 PM): 
When people misportray the Bates method, word gets around and makes peopel skeptical the next time someone comes along with the correct idea of what to do.
My cousin (11:20:48 PM): So what is the correct method? And again where is the evidence that it has cured blindness.
Me (11:21:42 PM): 
Here's your evidence on blindness being cured by Bates Method, right here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Movement-Self-Healing-Essential-Resource-Wellness/dp/1932073000/sr=8-1/qid=1169536874/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5384755-7731936?ie=UTF8&s=books">http://www.amazon.com/Movement-Self-Hea ... F8&s=books</a><!-- m -->
My cousin (11:22:18 PM): a link to  a book? lol
My cousin (11:23:18 PM): If people are blind glasses wont help them anyway
My cousin (11:23:58 PM): Why wouldnt the the Optmetrists embrace the eye exercises? Are you sure they havent already?
Me (11:23:58 PM): 
This man is an internetional speaker. His eyes have had 5 operations, and I've seen his videos. His eyes have so much scar tissue that only 1% of light goes through his pupils at maximum dilation. People can observe it readily, and eye doctors state it's impossible. Yet this man cured his blindness after being born blind and 17 years of total blindness, by using palming and sunning. today this man has an unrestricted driver's license, and eye doctors who examine his eyes say it's impossible but a person supposed to be blind cannot fake being able to see in the distance.
My cousin (11:24:34 PM): So what did the Scientists / optometrist say about the case above?
My cousin (11:24:50 PM): Seems like good evidence to me?  Is it not repeatable or something?
Me (11:25:37 PM): 
Some optometrists do embrace it, but several are of the fixed opinion from their teachings that eyesight is detiorating too rapidly to be helped. Because they do not see a mind-body connection, and that vision is primarily a mental process rather than strictly a physical process.
Me (11:26:01 PM): 
Are you understanding my point?
My cousin (11:26:20 PM): except for the mind-body connection
My cousin (11:26:22 PM): what do u mean by that
My cousin (11:26:40 PM): Mental processes are physical processes.
My cousin (11:26:44 PM): They can be measured.
Me (11:26:43 PM): 
okay, Bates said that imagination, memory, and eyesight are correlated
My cousin (11:26:58 PM): If you change the physical material the mental process changes.
Me (11:27:03 PM): 
When an image is blurred, it is harder for the mind to recognize, record, and recall the image.
My cousin (11:27:10 PM): As in they occur in the same part of the brain? or what?
My cousin (11:27:23 PM): Well yes that is true.
My cousin (11:27:37 PM): If its dark outside its harder for the mind to recognize record / recall as well
My cousin (11:27:54 PM): But that hardly means that mental processes are not physical ones.
My cousin (11:28:09 PM): If u cut up the brain it effects mental processes.
Me (11:29:01 PM): 
This is going to sound absurd to you
My cousin (11:29:32 PM): haha okay
Me (11:30:25 PM): 
If you were to imagine something perfectly, you could have sudden jumps of vision from 3/20 to 20/20. Do you believe this possible?
Me (11:30:37 PM): 
No eye tricks at all.
Me (11:30:48 PM): 
No watering, squinting, etc.
My cousin (11:31:03 PM): What do u mean by imagine
My cousin (11:31:10 PM): U mean make belive i see something?
My cousin (11:31:47 PM): And I don't believe it is possible, however I would immediantly change my belief if you present evidence to me of otherwise.
My cousin (11:32:06 PM): But perhaps i am misunderstanding. What do you mean by imagine something perfectly.
Me (11:33:29 PM): 
For example, if you have imperfect sight (like me) and you remember an early memory of seeing something 20/20, such as a 1/2 inch kitchen digital clock showing 8:32 while you're standing 25 feet away - you remember this while you eyes are closed, then you open your eyes and you see everything crystal clear all of a sudden.
My cousin (11:34:11 PM): Hrm i guess im gonna go w/ i need evidence, cuz i certainly don't believe that.
Me (11:34:37 PM): 
or you are myopic (near-sighted) and you look at something up close where it's perfectly clear, noticing all the details present, and you close your eyes and imagine it that way, and then open your eyes and see the distance perfectly.
Me (11:34:53 PM): 
Do you thinkt hat's possible?
My cousin (11:35:14 PM): No, i could be wrong, but i don't think its possible.
My cousin (11:35:28 PM): I don't see how playing pretend helps correct problems within my eyeball.
Me (11:35:43 PM): 
I've tested myself using a Snellen chart, and it's happened to me. I could easily pass an eye exam if I could induce an clear flash at will like that.
Me (11:35:59 PM): 
DMV eye exam
My cousin (11:36:22 PM): but dont u already know the letters on your chart
My cousin (11:37:14 PM): i wonder if u could do it with a random chart for instance. That would be interesting.
Me (11:41:00 PM): 
It's happens everyday, when I'm outdoors. I do what I described above and when I look, everything becomes crystal clear and 3-D-like - I can read a sign much further away, and see all the trees on a hill miles away while standing on high ground.
Me (11:41:30 PM): 
I can read CC on TV from double the distance when I have a clear flash, and it happens allt he time.
Me (11:42:00 PM): 
But do you see why this woiuldn't make sense to optometrists? It simply does not seem possible to them.
Me (11:42:33 PM): 
They'd have to try it first, but oftentimes skepticism gets in the way. Believing in what you see is a part of it, and skepticism often stops people who try it.
Me (11:42:48 PM): 
Because vision is largely a mental process.
Me (11:43:17 PM): 
And you can consider the CC the same thing as a random chart, since new words and letters are popping over the screen.
My cousin (11:43:34 PM): one sec
My cousin (11:43:37 PM): sorry just a moment
Me (11:44:45 PM): 
OK.
My cousin (11:45:04 PM): back
My cousin (11:45:09 PM): okay reading!
My cousin (11:45:47 PM): I thnk they would try it, why dont you ask an optometrist?
My cousin (11:45:51 PM): I'm certainly going to try it
My cousin (11:46:02 PM): But when u say vision is largely a mental process
My cousin (11:46:10 PM): That doesnt mean playing pretend will make your eyes physically see better.
My cousin (11:46:21 PM): Mental processes are controlled physically by the brain.
Me (11:46:21 PM): 
Sure, even if you have 20/10, you can still improve your eyesight using Bates Method. The Australian aborginals can see 80/20.
My cousin (11:47:42 PM): I also do not think your giving optometrist enough credit, if they made 4.0 all through undergrad, passed the MCAT and got through medical school and intership i'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a hard time trying one more experiment. The best doctors are scientists.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now