MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Discovery regarding approach

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discovery regarding approach
Today I had a big observation regarding approachive measures for palming.  It is possible that others have thought of it this way... but I've never seen anyone mention anything about it.

First let me show something...  someone a few days ago was asking how to combat chronic fatigue, and my response was:

"I used to experience chronic mental fatigue (which can lead to body fatigue). Sleep and eating right doesn't always relieve mental fatigue. But there is one thing you can do to demonstrate to yourself that mental fatigue can be relieved rather quickly, and you will be surprised. It is so simple, yet so unknown to many people. It is called palming.

Palming is like rubbing your hands vigorously for 10-20 seconds to warm them up then slightly cupping your hands and gently placing the palms of your hands over your eyes without applying pressure, trying to block out as much light as possible. Correct palming is done with the fingers of one hand overlapping the fingers of the other hand and the fingertips meeting at or near the hairline of your forehead. Try it for 3-5 minutes with eyes closed, while imagining the spilling of black ink as if it were a plunge waterfall where the blackness concentrates on the precise spot it hits, and spreads (to try to make the background as black as possible). Then remove your hands and if you've done this correctly without straining, you'll notice your eyes feel way more relaxed, thus temporarily relieving mental fatigue. Even only a minute or two of palming can have a refreshing effect on the muscles and nerves of the eye which go to the optic nerve, an extension of the brain.

You can do repeated palming during the day and you can even try palming for 30 minutes along with the visualization of black ink spilling. The warmer the hands are while palming, the better. Breathing deeply helps to make the background more black, relaxing you more. Being able to see "pitch black" is possible only in a state of 100% relaxation. The more you do it, the more results you will get and mental/body fatigue will eventually disappear.

Palming is similar to an ancient technique used in yoga. Try it, what have you to lose? It is so effective that it works for most people when done correctly, and they are surprised to find that chronic fatigue can easily be relieved this way. Years of chronic fatigue can disappear so quickly, in a matter of days, that it is hard to believe. You need to be made aware of how much tension your mind and body (especially your eyes) hold (in a chronic-sense) and by palming, you can address the brain directly through the optic nerve. One way to notice tension is to observe swarms and blobs of color or light while your eyes are closed and palming, even in a completely dark room. This is a sign of mental strain.

I suggest you try palming the first time by first soaking your hands in comfortably hot water for a minute, until your hands feel thoroughly warm, then try to palm while sitting at a desk or somewhere (use pillows as cushions if needed to bring the arms up). You want your arms to be comfortable and not get tired while palming."

Now, here is the discovery I made...(continued in post 2)
The more I thought about palming and how Bates wrote that several of his patients had quick results (being cured instantly) by visualizing a letter on the letter chart, while others took considerably longer to be cured, the more I was able to make sense out of all this. It seems strange to me that I have never read anything about "quick cures" in either young or old people in modern civilization, especially children because it's mostly adults on the forum boards and Bates is the only one who did research on children.

Bates wrote, "Children are more easily cured of imperfect sight than adults." (Better Eyesight: Sept. 1924--Vol. IX, No. 3, "Quick Cures") Why is this? Children usually have stronger imagination than adults, and are more easily relaxed. An adult with chronic strain may have a harder time being easily cured. Yet you have Bates telling you about adults being cured permanently (Better Eyesight: Sept. 1919--Vol. I, No. 3, "Cured In Fifteen Minutes") and (Better Eyesight: April 1925--Vol. IX, No. 10, "Quick Cures"). So where are those quick cure adults nowadays? (I am not referring to Bates' own patients)

Could it be that adults nowadays are in such a state of chronic tension that they cannot permanently end up with normal eyesight in the span of a week or month, like it used to be? Bates used visualization to help people relax completely, perhaps because the chronic tension had less "pull" on people then, due to not being subject to the chronic worries/pressures that come with our current society.

So in this respect, here is my thinking:

Order of priorities >>>when palming<<<:
1. Relaxation
2. Visualization after a considerable degree of relaxation has first been obtained

Therefore, what I'm thinking is that if a myopic or hyperopic person were to palm ONLY to achieve blackness or relaxation at first, rather than trying any kind of visualization, then perhaps some chronic tension could be removed to accelerate progression with visualization.

You can still visualize something as appearing "perfect" at any other time, but when palming- it seems to make sense to me that what's more important is working on seeing black (directly addressing relaxation) rather than visualizing (indirectly addressing relaxation???), because you can visualize at any other time. You can do anything else like swinging. Here I'm talking about palming only.

If you do not agree, then I'd like to hear your thoughts regarding this. Honestly, I'm still not sure about whether visualization is a direct or indirect way of addressing relaxation. I'll have to try again later to see whether visualization can work better than imagining blackness at certain times, in order to obtain some blackness. Even so, it may differ for everyone.

Due to this and how society has changed, I have a gut feeling that it's crucial for newcomers to first learn how to observe chronic tension through observing differences in our mental field of vision (referring to my first post). And work on achieving a certain level of relaxation before trying to visualize using palming (if what I'm thinking may even be true).

Comments and disagreements are welcome.
Hi Spock

Interesting thoughts.  I agree that life is much more technological today, more radiation, less time spent outdoors, and all this contributes to stress, mental fatigue and overall unhealthy society.  Life is much different today. 

One small point is that I don't believe palming was ever meant by Bates to be done together with visualization, but I haven't quite read the entire book yet.  So I think it should always be done with the intention of seeing black as deep as possible, and therefore for relaxation.

However, I do believe that meditation and visualization are other ways to achieve many things, including mental relaxation and overall health. 

-Killer
Hello

I asked so many people about what they see in their field of vision and this was the results:
1- myopic people like myself see visual snow, tiny whiter blinking dots.
2- astigmaitic people see coulorful strips
3- no idea of farsightedness as I have not asked

This confirms Bates' idea of straining.

Elias

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download