MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Should the Long Swing Make You Dizzy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Long Swing Make You Dizzy?
Question 
When I do the long swing, I sometimes stumble or feel dizzy. It can be hard to keep my feet in one place. I'm 30 years old, pretty darn healthy for the most part, and have never had any balance issues. I occasionally do yoga, including one-footed balance poses, and generally do them as well as my friends. So this slight dizziness and loss of balance when I'm simply twisting back and forth and still on two feet surprises me!

I want to add that I really like the long swing! The first few times I did it, it was obvious how much my eyes resisted movement and were in the habit of staring. They would "stick" to objects or points in the room as I turned, and eventually "jump" to another point at which they would lock on and stare again. It took a bit of practice, but now my eyes can allow the sights in front of them to smoothly flow by while I swing back and forth. It feels like a good accomplishment!

But, is the dizziness/lack of balance a sign that I'm doing something wrong? Or a normal experience as my eyes and brain are still adjusting to the visual experience of the world "moving" around me, instead of being fixed? I've been doing it for a week or two, 1 to 3 times a day, and about 100 swings each time.

Thank you for any help!! Smile
(10-09-2015, 01:02 PM)VisionQuest Wrote: When I do the long swing, I sometimes stumble or feel dizzy. It can be hard to keep my feet in one place. I'm 30 years old, pretty darn healthy for the most part, and have never had any balance issues. I occasionally do yoga, including one-footed balance poses, and generally do them as well as my friends. So this slight dizziness and loss of balance when I'm simply twisting back and forth and still on two feet surprises me!

I want to add that I really like the long swing! The first few times I did it, it was obvious how much my eyes resisted movement and were in the habit of staring. They would "stick" to objects or points in the room as I turned, and eventually "jump" to another point at which they would lock on and stare again. It took a bit of practice, but now my eyes can allow the sights in front of them to smoothly flow by while I swing back and forth. It feels like a good accomplishment!

But, is the dizziness/lack of balance a sign that I'm doing something wrong? Or a normal experience as my eyes and brain are still adjusting to the visual experience of the world "moving" around me, instead of being fixed? I've been doing it for a week or two, 1 to 3 times a day, and about 100 swings each time.

It's not necessarily a sign that you are doing it wrong. You may just not be used to the spinning motion - the inner ear is a sensitive mechanism. When I first started swinging - even a shorter swing of just the head - I would feel nauseated. I was always very sensitive to motion sickness, couldn't go out on boats in the ocean, go on fast, spinning rides at the amusement park. People who do spins while dancing also get dizzy until they do it enough to get used to it. You may want to slow it down a bit, and shorten it, to where it's not causing so much dizziness. Remember to keep breathing, and blinking frequently while swinging. In the long swing the head should barely move relative to the shoulders. It's more of a torso, shoulder motion. Shorter swings can be done with just the motion of the head, with eyes open, or closed (mental swing).
(10-12-2015, 03:11 AM)arocarty Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 01:02 PM)VisionQuest Wrote: When I do the long swing, I sometimes stumble or feel dizzy. It can be hard to keep my feet in one place. I'm 30 years old, pretty darn healthy for the most part, and have never had any balance issues. I occasionally do yoga, including one-footed balance poses, and generally do them as well as my friends. So this slight dizziness and loss of balance when I'm simply twisting back and forth and still on two feet surprises me!

It's not necessarily a sign that you are doing it wrong. You may just not be used to the spinning motion - the inner ear is a sensitive mechanism. When I first started swinging - even a shorter swing of just the head - I would feel nauseated. I was always very sensitive to motion sickness, couldn't go out on boats in the ocean, go on fast, spinning rides at the amusement park. People who do spins while dancing also get dizzy until they do it enough to get used to it. You may want to slow it down a bit, and shorten it, to where it's not causing so much dizziness. Remember to keep breathing, and blinking frequently while swinging. In the long swing the head should barely move relative to the shoulders. It's more of a torso, shoulder motion. Shorter swings can be done with just the motion of the head, with eyes open, or closed (mental swing).

This is good feedback, even though you may not like it. I had this too, though I consider myself very athletic, and I can still wobble if I'm not fully present and in my body, just going through the motions. Concentrate on your feet -- do they feel fully planted and stable? Twist gently and slowly from the hips, the upper body and head just following along. Arocarty is right that you may be going too fast. I first tackled the Long Swing like it was callisthenics which is not the point at all -- it should be a lazy and almost meditative movement, and again, with your feet firmly under you. You can also try Swaying, moving from side to side without the twist.
Thank you for the advice! I have slowed down the swing significantly, and stopped trying to whirl all the way around each time. I felt like the longer/further I twisted, the better. And darn it, I want to give this my all! Haha

I did have to go really fast in the beginning, though, or my eyes would try to lock and grab onto objects. Now they can let the room float by, so I'm able to slow down. I feel kind of silly, really, that I was making myself dizzy! Haha But, I think I've made it better now. Now it is pretty relaxing and easy. : )
(10-23-2015, 05:13 PM)VisionQuest Wrote: Thank you for the advice! I have slowed down the swing significantly, and stopped trying to whirl all the way around each time. I felt like the longer/further I twisted, the better. And darn it, I want to give this my all! Haha

I did have to go really fast in the beginning, though, or my eyes would try to lock and grab onto objects. Now they can let the room float by, so I'm able to slow down. I feel kind of silly, really, that I was making myself dizzy! Haha But, I think I've made it better now. Now it is pretty relaxing and easy. : )

Good for you! This is progress, whether accompanied by an eye-chart-measurable acuity improvement or not right away. You are letting go of visual stress. Congratulating yourself on these little milestones is an important part of the process. Baby steps are better than no steps!
Nancy, thank you! I think that's one of the reasons I like the swing much - it showed me obvious changes in the ways my eyes were operating. Very cool and encouraging to me! : )

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download