MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
So, Essentially, the Computer is the Eye’s Enemy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Essentially, the Computer is the Eye’s Enemy?
So basically, the computer produces the two habits that essentially destroy vision, apparently:

Staring/Fixed Vision & Strain.

I regret all the time I spent on the computer- and even now I need to use it at times. In an ideal world, I would use the computer a lot, because I enjoy it- but it my computer time meant to be ceased?
I have my taptop right in front of a window, so I always have lots of distancec in my field of vision at the same time I am using the computer. I also use the dimmest monitor setting I can get away with.. Evevn with the disnce in my field of vision, I look up over the top of monitor compulsively. Everytime someone puts one of those handheld devices in front of me indoors to show me something, I always bllock them, like a vampire trying to avoid sunlight. Oncec I get to 20/20 vision, I'll resume living a normal life.
A computer doesn't produce any strain or staring. That's you. It's like blaming spoons for making people fat. The fact is many people sit down at work on a computer every day and don't suffer bad vision.

But it doesn't take much trouble to just look away from the monitor to something farther every once in a while when you have to think, or get up and take a break. Not because close is bad, but because of the rigidity.

Your quality of vision depends on the way you see, and you can do it wrong no matter what kind of activity you're doing.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Hi David,

what about CVS (Computer Vision Syndrome)? There are a lot of symptoms related to CVS like blurry vision, dry eyes, eye strain and pain, double vision, polyopia, redness of the eyes... I have found it can be prevented by following ergonomics rules, having enough of light, using computer applications that remind you to rest your eyes every 20 minutes etc.
(11-17-2015, 01:15 AM)delibers Wrote: Hi David,

what about CVS (Computer Vision Syndrome)? There are a lot of symptoms related to CVS like blurry vision, dry eyes, eye strain and pain, double vision, polyopia, redness of the eyes... I have found it can be prevented by following ergonomics rules, having enough of light, using computer applications that remind you to rest your eyes every 20 minutes etc.

Right, and these are also symptoms of eyestrain you get by other means. Some people don't have a problem with computer work, and to attribute a cause to it would require that it consistently affects more people. The cause is in how you do it, and you can help prevent a problem with those measures you mention. The same would go for any other stressor like bright sunlight or even the darkness at night.

That being said, there are probably effects from the type of light or radiation. LCD monitors don't have as much radiation as the nasty old CRTs, but I've heard there are issues with the blusih light they emit interfering with sleep patterns if you use it late at night. But I've also heard an explanation of why it's good to break up sleep to twice per day.

Speaking of radiation, we're surrounded by EMF radiation by all the electronic devices, so there might be something to avoiding it when you can. But I don't recommend worrying about things that you can't control very well, because you end up feeling helpless and losing sight of the things you can control that are sufficient to affect your vision.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Thank you David. I use software "Eyes Relax" which reminds me to rest my eyes every 30 minutes as I spend the most of my time on computer.
I do think excessive close work even before the period of strain can slow down vision improvement. Of all the eye exams I've had, there were a couple times I scored better than I expected. One when was I blinked more than normal into extreme distances just before the test. Another was when the optometrist went straight to the lens comparison test without the 20/x acuity test.

It made me wonder if when I took the test "normally", I was .25 diopters off my best possiblle refractive error given the shape of my eye the time of that exam. It's my hypothesis that not only does the eye have a range of a diopter and change(what others cacll ciiliary myopia), but thatt the eye perceives it's not natural to be fully stretched towards either extreme allowed by its shape. And when it spends a lot of time at an endpoint, it adusts the shape of itself so taht the endpoint is just inside the new endpoint. That's why wearing distance lenses when you are nearsighted puts preessure to become more nearsighted. If your eye ihas a range of say -3 to -4.25, and you spend enough time at -4.25 due to wearing corrective lenses, the eye will change such that the -4.25 level of refracative error is no longer an endpoint so your eye doesn't feel as much discomfort at the -4.25 setting as before, by adjusting the shape to a range of say -3.25 to -4.5.

Where this pertains to the thread questiion, is while using your computer may not worsen your vision, it may cause you do spend more time bouncing around the range given by the shape of your eyeball, and that the good vision days you have are merely you hitting the top of the range, not breaking through it, or taking longer to do it.

Put it this way, you may not screw yourself doing a lot of close work without strain, but you won't maximize the frequency and intensity of your clear fllashes that way, or it will take you more time of looking into the distance to maximize your clear flashes. That's just me though. Vision improvement is a total grind, and I don't like anything that slows me down. I want my eyeball at it's best possible refractive error as much time of the day as possible.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now