MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
First time palming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time palming
I showed my neighbor who had bad farsightedness about the Bates Method.  I told him to try palming, and after just doing it for 5 minutes he saw a lot better. How??  He had to hold something out at arm's length, but after that, he can see at 30 cms close.
Yes, palming works. I don't understand your question? It's for both near and far sightedness, if that's what you mean.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
My question is

how come doing palming the first time works good? 
because palming is good  ;D
Otter Wrote:My question is

how come doing palming the first time works good? 

Not necessarily.

But when it does work effectively and yield good results, it's because of course you've released the strain.
So maybe the first time when you're doing it, you're not really expecting anything, and you just sort of let go, not expecting anything. And so you release strain. Do you know what I mean? But then the next time you do it, you remember getting an improvement  the first time you did it, and so you become frustrated and annoyed as you try to remember whatever it was you did for such a rapid improvement (which is futile, as you didn't do anything). That's a possible explanation.

You ask such funny questions, Otter. Try not to be so vague all the time. If you be more specific we can help you better. And also it makes it easier for us to give a specific and quick answer. No one likes having to write a big long essay. Use the search function as well, a lot of these questions have been answered in other places or in older topics. But of course don't be afraid to ask lengthy questions, the longer the better and the easier it is for us Wink

Big Grin
I try to be specific lol.  The search function doesnt have advanced options the last time i checked, so it searches the whole forum and brings up a lot of stuff i dont want.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://iblindness.org/intro/progress.html">http://iblindness.org/intro/progress.html</a><!-- m -->
Also, can I improve my vision only by doing palming and sunning?  I don't like to look at the snellen, it makes me uncomfortable and I think it brings me strain.  It makes my eyes feel like they have some tension on them..
Dear Otter,

Subject:  Being aware of your Snellen.

I will agree that it is not "fun" to look at a Snellen.

But because you have, you have confirmed
as serious over-prescription of about -2 diopters.

That is valuable information.

No, you do not have to look at a Snellen while palming.

But if you ask, "am I improving", then how
are you going to CONFIRM that you are improving???

Go to the OD who over-prescribed you by -2 diopters -- and
have him tell you your vison "got worse"???

Or are you going to work with Bates, and (maybe once
a week), see "improving" on your Snellen.

I frankly do not "trust" a person who over-prescribes
by -2 diopters -- because I KNOW what a minus
lens does to the eye's refractive STATE.

So that is why I suggest that any improving be
confirmed by you -- even if it is slow to develop.

A man, David De Angelis, cleared his vision from
-2 diopters, and by Bates.  His confirmation
was 20/20 on HIS SNELLEN.

Best,

Otis
Quote:But if you ask, "am I improving", then how
are you going to CONFIRM that you are improving???

Go to the OD who over-prescribed you by -2 diopters -- and
have him tell you your vison "got worse"Huh

Or are you going to work with Bates, and (maybe once
a week), see "improving" on your Snellen.

Do neither! If the snellen brings you strain, don't keep measuring yourself. You'll probably just make yourself frustrated, and from what you've said, it sounds like the snellen is a big pessium. Just open your eyes and see! Is it better, or worse? That's what I do ;D

Quote:Also, can I improve my vision only by doing palming and sunning?

Of course you can!
I am going to agree with Kaze about the Snellen -- with
the following remarks.

Take time to read your Snellen and understand it.

The State of Florida requires 20/70 for their DMV.

Georgia, 20/60

Texas 20/50

Most of the other States, 20/40 in the better eye.

With a -3.75 diopter perscription you are
very "deep" into nearsightedness.

Dr. Liberman said to ignore the prescription and work
with the Snellen. 

You "end point" must be that you pass the 20/40 line (i.e.,
vision-clearing).

But as you do palming, and other Bates methods, you
do not have to look at a Snellen.  But, eventually, you
must see your Snellen clear to 20/40 or better.

That is how you should be comfortable reading the Snellen.

It is also to avoid over-prescription that you have
now confirmed.

To work with no minus lens on your face, you must
get to at least 20/50 -- for your own satisfaction,
and conformation that Bates "works".

Just one man's opinion.

Otis
perhaps the eye chart is your pessium, but you should turn that into an optimum.  i'm not sure what you motive is, but chances are your eyes will be tested with the eyechart in the future.  You can't tell them that you're really 20/20 and the eye chart is wrong because you don't like it Smile

I'd say don't practice with it if you don't want to, but it's important to read it every now and then to become very comfortable with it.
thx kaze for the advice.  Lol in florida, georgia, and texas the rules are wierd. 
Dear Otter,

Subject:  Diet, Scales, Snellens and lost weight.

I am on a diet.  Put on a few pounds.  I know
what I weigh (as you know your Snellen is 20/80).

From laws of physics and science, I know that if
I starve myself, my weight will come down.

But, since I know this, I do not weigh myself every
day -- because I know how SLOW weight loss is.  I just
know it is possible.

But, in the end, I must weigh myself, to show the
weight-loss.

And that is what I suggest about palming, and other
Bates methods.  I believe they are "empowerment"
methods for you, and are free.

But they do take a "will" to do them.

Also, the GENERAL translation of "diopters" to Snellen is this:

-1 diopter, 20/70

-2 diopters, 20/140

-3 diopters, 20/210

-4 diopters, 20/280

As Dr. J. Liberman said, these tend to be very
bad over-prescriptions.

Reading your Snellen yourself can "break" this terrible
cycle.

For reference, 20/200 (for distance) is considered
to be "legal blindness".

So just by being wise you have cleared your
vision from legal blindness.  That truly
is an improvement.

Keep up the good work.

Otis
With the diet analogy, many say that you should pay more attention to how you feel and maybe a little to your waist line and whether pants are starting to loosen and the belt tighten.  This is due to the fact that as you drop in fat, you may be putting on muscle, and so a quantitative weight measure is not telling the whole story...

I suggest it's the same with vision, for me anyways.  I have clear flashes with the Snellen, so I use it almost daily for Bates activities, but hardly ever to test my acuity.  I enjoy my natural vision as much as possible all day long, and continue to notice what I see and how much more I can see now than in the past.  Someday, I will see again with the clarity of the 6 year old inside me before I got glasses...

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download