MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
How much does your prescription vary?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much does your prescription vary?
It's pretty common for people to report changes in their prescriptions after starting the Bates method. But I see the change in prescription as a poor indication of improvement of vision, whether it's a little or a lot. A prescription tells you what your eyes were measured at only at the moment of testing, in the optometrist's office, under pressure, in a dark room, often sitting in an uncomfortable position.

One thing I've noticed from people's reports, especially those with astigmatism and/or high degrees of myopia, is that their measurements vary all over the board when they go to different optometrists. So I invite everyone interested to go to two or more different optometrists and find out what results they get. Be sure to not show them your current prescription or even your glasses, as that will predispose them to aiming for a certain number. And post your results here!

The point is that your vision may change according to the subtleties of different offices, such as the feeling of the place, or on the time of day or anything else that has an affect on you. The approach I recommend is not attempting to slowly and steadily reduce a quantitative prescription, but recognizing the fluidity that's already inherent in your condition and how it suggests that vision improvement may be easier and more subtle than you think, and that trying to assign a fixed prescription lense to it is ridiculous.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
March 28 (just a few minutes from home):
both eyes: -5.50
the same prescription they gave me a year and a bit ago at the same place.
This afternoon (45 minutes [walking/running] from home - nearer my old neighbourhood):
OD: -6.00, -028, 112
It made me feel like being sarcastic on the way home - if I needed to wear glasses "full time", I'd have been hit by a car by now.
Big Grin On the way there, for about half a block, I could read all the letterings on buildings - vet, sports injury clinic, etc - and on and off the rest of the way.

Both doctors were guys - I think there might be a difference in comfort/relaxation levels in that regard.
Louise,

If you can afford it, it would be interesting to find out what reading a female optometrist you're more comfortable with gives you, perhaps in the near future, to make a point about there being no significant time difference between the two.

Be sure not to give her any previous prescription, though, so she doesn't start with a preconceived idea about what to aim for.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I should be able to... for just about another month. And then I will come to hate going for eye exams...
It's worth bringing up that different optometrists may give different prescriptions not just because of your eyes' varying refractive state, but on different beliefs as to what is best. Some will prescribe stronger lenses by default as where others will do weaker. It seems like it would be best if you could somehow convince the same optometrist to check your eyes again as if they didn't know what they had previously prescribed. Maybe you can go in with a wig and pretend you're someone else Smile
;D BJ
it won't work though, I'm afraid.
My last name's too unique and I really suck as an actress Smile
Also, my appearance and personality :/

I liked the first doctor better - he said that if I didn't want to wear glasses, I didn't have to Smile

And I have no intention of learning to drive any time soon, so that doesn't matter much Smile

~Louise~

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now